|Owner||Rail for London Limited
part of Transport for London
|Transit type||Suburban rail|
|Number of lines||1|
|Number of stations||14 (2015)
|Began operation||31 May 2015|
|System length||32 km (19.9 mi) 2015|
MTR Crossrail (XR) is a future train operating company that will operate the Crossrail concession in Greater London, the East of England and South East England under contract to Transport for London. It will commence operating on 31 May 2015, on the Liverpool Street to Shenfield route, and expand in stages to operate the full Crossrail network by 2019. The service will be branded as TfL Rail until May 2018, when the Crossrail tunnel opens and trains will run as Crossrail.
On 25 June 2013, Transport for London announced Arriva, MTR Corporation, Keolis/Go-Ahead Group and National Express had been shortlisted to bid for the concession. On 18 July 2014, Transport for London awarded the concession to MTR Corporation.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2014)|
The Crossrail route will be formed of the suburban parts of the Great Western and Great Eastern (East Anglian) Main Lines, connected by a new underground central section through London's city centre, similar to the North-South Thameslink route. There will also be a branch to Abbey Wood via Canary Wharf. Construction of the route is planned to be completed in 2019.
Stations from May 2015:
|London Liverpool Street||1||City of London|
|Stratford||3||London Borough of Newham|
|Maryland||3||London Borough of Newham|
|Forest Gate||3||London Borough of Newham|
|Manor Park||3/4||London Borough of Newham|
|Ilford||4||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Seven Kings||4||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Goodmayes||4||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Chadwell Heath||5||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Romford||6||London Borough of Havering|
|Gidea Park||6||London Borough of Havering|
|Harold Wood||6||London Borough of Havering|
|Brentwood||B||Borough of Brentwood, Essex|
|Shenfield||C||Borough of Brentwood, Essex|
MTR Crossrail will commence operating on 31 May 2015, taking over the Liverpool Street to Shenfield Metro service from Abellio Greater Anglia. In May 2018 it will take over the Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 4 service from Heathrow Connect. It will expand operations by 2019 to cover the whole Crossrail route. The service will be operated by MTR Corporation. as part of the National Rail network.
|Stage 0||May 2015||Existing Liverpool Street (mainline) to Shenfield metro services transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Stage 1||Beginning May 2017||Class 345 units begin to be brought into service|
|Stage 2||May 2018||Heathrow Connect services from Paddington (mainline) to Heathrow Terminal 4 transferred from First Great Western/Heathrow Airport Holdings along with part of First Great Western's inner suburban service.|
|Stage 3||December 2018||Services begin on the core section from Paddington (Crossrail) to Abbey Wood|
|Stage 4||May 2019||Service begins on the core section from Paddington (Crossrail) to Shenfield|
|Stage 5||December 2019||Remaining services transferred from First Great Western with through services commencing from Reading & Heathrow to Shenfield & Abbey Wood|
Although a 24tph service will be run from opening, the line has been built with redundant capacity to allow for growth. When required, 32tph could operate; combined with two extra cars per train, this would allow a 30–40% capacity increase.
|Class||Image||Type||Top speed||Number||Cars per set||Seat layout||Routes operated||Built||Years operated|
|315||EMU||75||120||44||4||2+3||Liverpool Street - Shenfield||1980-81||2015-18|
|345||EMU||90||145||65||9||2+2||Full Crossrail route||2017-18||From mid 2017|
- Crossrail route
- Smith, Howard. "Crossrail – Moving to the Operating Railway Rail and Underground Panel 12 February 2015". 12 February 2015. Transport for London. Archived from the original on 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- MTR Corporation Named as Preferred Operator for Crossrail, London’s Brand New 21st Century Rail Service "MTR Corporation" 18 July 2014
- MTR Crossrail | Crossrail
- TfL announces shortlist of bidders to run Crossrail services Crossrail 25 June 2013
- Crossrail shortlist reveals four contenders Rail News 25 June 2013
- TfL announces MTR to run Crossrail services Crossrail 18 July 2014
- MTR Corporation wins £1.4 billion contract to run Crossrail services Rail Technology Magazine 18 July 2014
- "TfL announces MTR to run Crossrail services". Transport for London. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Hayes, Simon (19 April 2011). "Crossrail will leave a positive legacy says chairman". The Wharf (London).
- Crossrail rolling stock and depot contract to be awarded to Bombardier Department for Transport 6 February 2014
- Bombardier wins Crossrail train contract Railway Gazette 6 February 2014
- "Crossrail". Crossrail. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Transport for London". Transport for London. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
Abellio Greater Anglia
Greater Anglia franchise
31 May 2015
|Operator of TfL Rail concession
2015 - 2023
First Great Western
Greater Western franchise
Heathrow Airport Holdings & First Great Western
from May 2018