Libertarian Party of Minnesota
|Libertarian Party of Minnesota|
|Headquarters||624 Central Avenue in Osseo, MN 55369|
|Student wing||College Libertarians|
|Membership (March 2014)||212|
|Politics of United States
|Part of a series on|
The Libertarian Party of Minnesota is a state affiliate of the United States Libertarian Party.
The Libertarian Party of Minnesota was formed in 1972 after Charles Brekke and Steve Richardson wrote to the Libertarian Party, headquartered in Colorado, requesting to charter a state group. They were joined by Frank Haws and Rich Kleinow, who were independently seeking a way to get Libertarian Party Presidential candidate Dr. John Hospers on the ballot in Minnesota.
The first meeting of the LPMN was held at Brekke's home in Minneapolis where Ed Contoski was elected as the LPMN's first party Chair, Rich Kleinow was elected Vice Chairman, Charles Brekke secretary, and Claudia Jenson treasurer. The original signers of the LPMN charter, considered the founders of the LPMN and the first Executive Committee, were:
- Ed Contoski (Chair)
- Rich Kleinow (Vice Chair)
- Claudia Jensen (Treasurer)
- Charles Brekke (Secretary)
- Georgiena Brekke
- Jack Buxell
- Jane Buxell
- Franklin Haws
- Arnette Putman
- Marc Putman
- Stephen Richardson
In 1974, Rich Kleinow and Claudia Jensen were the first two candidates for the Libertarian Party of Minnesota, on the ballot for Governor and Lieutenant Governor, respectively. Kleinow/Jensen received 1,858 votes and came in 7th place. Dale Hemming, LPMN Chair in 1976, ran for Congress in 1976 and 1978.
Current Party Leadership
Party leaders are elected each year at the Libertarian Party of Minnesota's State Convention.
- David Arvidson — State Party Chair
- S.L. Malleck — State Party Vice Chair
- Heather Johnson — State Party Secretary
- Mary O’Connor — State Party Treasurer
- Andy Burns — Executive Director
- Bob Odden - At Large
- Cara Schulz - At Large
- Chris Dock - At Large
- RJ Penny - At Large
- Olga Parsons - At Large
- Ray Whitledge - At Large
- Chris Holbrook - At Large
Current Elected Officials
- Alicia Ascheman, Pine City School Board (elected Nov 2013)
- Roger Parras, St. Peter City Council (elected Nov 2013)
- Chris Holbrook, Governor
- Chris Dock, Lt. Governor
- Heather Johnson, US Senate
- Keegan Iversen, State Auditor
- Bob Odden, Secretary of State
- Mary O’Connor, Attorney General
- Elizabeth Dahl, Crystal City Council
- Olga Parsons, Crystal City Council
- "Major Schools Of Libertarianism ". http://libertarianmajority.net. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Rothbard, Murray (March 1972). "The Libertarian Forum" IV (3). Retrieved 2014-03-28.