Ahmad Syafi'i Maarif
Ahmad Syafi'i Maarif (born in Sumpur Kudus, West Sumatra on 31 May 1935) is a prominent Indonesian intellectual. Ahmad Syafi'i Maarif was the leader of Muhammadiyah, one of the two biggest Muslim organizations in Indonesia, in 1998 - 2005. Ahmad Syafi'i Maarif was the founder of Maarif Institute and who led and inspired born of Jaringan Intelektual Muda Muhammadiyah. Nowadays, beside as senior lecturer in IKIP Yogyakarta, Syafii active as spokesperson and writer. His written about madani society published in any Indonesian media. He received the 2008 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Peace and International Understanding.
List of Books
- Mengapa Vietnam Jatuh Seluruhnya ke Tangan Komunis, Yayasan FKIS-IKIP, Yogyakarta, 1975
- Dinamika Islam, Shalahuddin Press, 1984
- Islam, Mengapa Tidak ?, Shalahuddin Press, 1984
- Percik-percik Pemikiran Iqbal, Shalahuddin Press, 1984
- Islam dan Masalah Kenegaraan, LP3ES, 1985
Si Anak Kampung (Village Boy) Film told about Syafii Ma'arif in period of 1930-1950. The film inspired youth about importance of education, dream and appreciate religious value.
|Non-profit organization positions|
|Leader of Muhammadiyah