Belle Monappa Hegde
Belle Monappa Hegde
|Born||18 August 1938 (age 82)|
|Profession||Cardiologist, Medical Scientist, Educationist, and Author|
|Institutions||Stanley Medical College (Madras)|
King George Medical College (Lucknow)
Royal College of Physicians (London)
Brigham and Women's Hospital – Harvard Medical School (Boston)
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
Dr. B. C. Roy Award(1999)
Jagdish Chandra Bose Award in Life Science (1999)
Ullal Srinivasa Mallya Lifetime Achievement Award(2019)
Belle Monappa Hegde often abbreviated as B. M. Hegde (born 18 August 1938) is a cardiologist, professional educator and author. He is the former Vice Chancellor of Manipal University, Co-Chairman of the TAG-VHS Diabetes Research Centre, Chennai and the chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mangalore. He has authored several books on medical practice and ethics. He is also the Editor in Chief of the medical journal, Journal of the Science of Healing Outcomes. He was awarded the Dr. B. C. Roy Award in 1999. He was awarded India's third highest civilian award the Padma Bhushan in 2010. He was awarded India's second highest civilian award the Padma Vibhushan in 2021.
Dr. B. M. Hegde was born on 18 August 1938, in Pangala, Udupi, Karnataka, India
Dr. B. M. Hegde is a medical practitioner and has a medical degree from Stanley Medical College (Madras), a M.D. from King George Medical College (Lucknow), FRCP from Royal College of Physicians, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Dublin. He also has a FACC and FAMS. He also received training in cardiology from Harvard Medical School under Bernard Lown.
- MBBS – Stanley Medical College, Madras University (1960) 
- MD – King George’s Medical College, University of Lucknow (1964) 
- MRCP – Royal Colleges of Physicians, U.K. (1969) 
- FRCP – Royal College of Physicians, London (1981) 
- FACC – American College of Cardiology, USA (1984) 
- FRCPG – Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow (1985) 
- FRCPE – Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh (1986) 
- FRCPI – Royal College of Physicians, Dublin, Ireland – Honorary Fellowship Conferred for Distinction (1999) 
- FAMS – Elected fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi (2002) 
Dr. B. M. Hegde is visiting faculty at many universities. He also serves as the Chairman of the Mangalore chapter of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, and has served as Vice-Chancellor of Manipal University He has also authored several books in English and Kannada. Apart from publishing several medical research papers. Dr. Hegde is an affiliate professor of Human Health, University of Northern Colorado since 2002. He serves as Chairman of Bihar State Health Society's Expert Committee, Govt. of Bihar, Patna. He served as a Member of Postgraduate Medical Education Board, Government of India. He served as Chairman of OHIO University's Indian Trust, Bangalore. He served as Chairman of Ganapathi Engineering College Governing Board, Vellore. He served as Chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mangalore Kendra. He was Editor in Chief, Journal of the Science of Healing Outcomes, Mangalore. He was Vice Chancellor of Manipal University, India. He was Professor of Cardiology [Visiting] London University since 1982. He was Director-Professor, Principal and Dean of Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore. He was Emeritus International Advisor to The Royal College of Physicians of London and Edinburgh. He was First Indian examiner for MRCP [UK] examination in the UK from 1988 to 1998. He was MRCPI examiner in Dublin since 2000 till 2009. He served as President of World Academy of Authentic Healing Sciences, Mangalore. He has been a Non Executive & Independent Director of Zydus Wellness Limited since July 29, 2009. Dr. Hegdehas 47 years of teaching experience to undergraduates and postgraduates. He has been a professor of Medicine since 1973. He is Emeritus International Advisor to the Royal College of Physicians London.
Dr. Hegde, an elected fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences, has won Dr. B. C. Roy National Award in the category of an Eminent Medical Teacher in 1999, Dr. J. C. Bose Award for Life Sciences Research, PRIDE OF INDIA Award from the Pacific Association of Indians in California and many more. Dr. B M Hegde is Padma Bhushan awardee 2010. He is MBBS [Madras], MD [Lucknow], MRCP [U.K.], FRCP [London], FRCP [Edinburgh], FRCP [Glasgow], FRCPI [Dublin], FACC [USA] and FAMS
- Editor-in-Chief of the medical journal, Journal of the Science of Healing Outcomes
- Senior Consultant Cardiologist (visiting), PMDRC, Chennai
- Chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mangalore
- Member, Board of Management, D. Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune
- Co-Chairman of the TAG-VHS Diabetes Research Centre, Chennai
- Vice Chancellor of Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal University)
- Pro Vice Chancellor of Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal University)
- Dean/Principal of Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Director of PG studies, Professor & Head of the Dept. of Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Senior Consultant Cardiologist in Mangalore
- Chairman, State Health Society’s Expert Committee, Govt. of Bihar, Patna
- Professor of Cardiology (visiting), The Middlesex Hospital Medical School, University of London
- Affiliate Professor of Human Health, University of Northern Colorado, USA
- Member, Board of Governors, National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Surathkal
- Examiner for MRCP at the Royal College of Physicians (U.K.) and at the Royal College of Physicians, Ireland
- Member of Postgraduate Medical Education Board, Govt. of India
- Non-Executive & Independent Director of Zydus Wellness, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Emeritus International Advisor to The Royal College of Physicians of London and Edinburgh
- Member of Karnataka Knowledge Commission
He has published a research on using silver nano particles infused with water for curing malaria in three days.
Pseudoscience and controversies
In 2019, when Hegde was invited to deliver a lecture on "sauce of happiness" at the campus of Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, he was called a proponent of "pseudo-science and quackery" by a group of protesting research scholars, who opposed his "bizarre and unsubstantiated" claims, "ridiculing modern medicine" and "promoting unverified remedies or cures" for various ailments. Reacting to the protest, Dr. B M Hegde told PTI that it only indicated "how much the protesters knew about science."
- Wisdom of the human body. Gandhi Centre of Science and Human Values of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. 2001. pp. 148 pages.
- What Doctors Don't Get to Study in Medical School. Anshan. 2006. pp. 275 pages. ISBN 978-1-904798-84-2.
- Hypertension: Assorted Topics. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. 1995. pp. 108 pages.
- The Heart Manual. UBS Publishers' Distributors. 2000. pp. 157 pages.
- You Can Be Healthy. Macmillan Publishers India Limited. 2004. pp. 208 pages. ISBN 978-1-4039-2233-5.
- How To Maintain Good Health. UBS Publishers' Distributors Pvt. Ltd. ISBN 978-81-7476-069-2.
- Modern Medicine and Ancient Indian Wisdom. Manipal Academy of Higher Education. 2000.
- Holistic Living. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. pp. 117 pages. ISBN 978-81-7276-024-3.
- Art Of Public Speaking. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. ISBN 978-81-7276-054-0.
- "B.M. Hegde to head Bihar health society". The Hindu. 1 March 2006. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- ":: TAG-VHS Diabetes Research Centre". www.tagvhsdrc.com.
- Bureau Hindu Business Line. "Coconut oil, an ideal fat". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "PIB Press Release: This Year's Padma Awards announced". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "'People's doctor' gets Padma Bhushan". The New Indian Express. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Shinzo Abe, Tarun Gogoi, Ram Vilas Paswan among Padma Award winners: Complete list". The Times of India. 25 January 2021. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "Padma Bhushan Award for Veteran Physician, Administrator, Dr B M Hegde". Daijiworld. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "Dr. B. M. Hegde CV". Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Bhavan's Kendras Statewise List, archived from the original on 28 September 2011, retrieved 18 July 2011
- "List of Fellows – NAMS" (PDF). National Academy of Medical Sciences. 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "personId=34036663&capId=20416501&previousCapId=20416501&previousTitle=VR%20WOODART%20LTD". Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- "Bio". www.thejsho.com. Retrieved 21 December 2020.
- "Now, silver touch to malaria cure". The Times of India. The Times Group. 17 February 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- Hegde BM : “Modern Medicine and Quantum Physics” Kuwait Medical Journal: March 2003:35(1): 1–3
- Hegde, B.M. "Some thoughts on quantum healing". pubmedinfo.com. The Hindi. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Francis, Matthew R. (29 May 2014). "The Two Top Inspirations of Science-Sounding Nonsense: Quantum and Consciousness". Slate Magazine. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Strauss, Valerie. "Scientist: Why Deepak Chopra is driving me crazy". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- Bureau, N. T. (6 February 2019). "IIT-M scholars call B M Hegde a proponent of pseudo-science, quackery".
- "RIP Science: How IIT-M students protested against Padma Bhushan B M Hegde's lecture on 'sauce of happiness'". The New Indian Express.
- "IIT-Madras scholars protest inviting B M Hegde for lecture". Press Trust of India. 5 February 2019 – via Business Standard.
- "IIT-Madras scholars protest inviting B M Hegde for lecture". The New Indian Express.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belle Monappa Hegde.|