Sharda Sinha is a folk-singer from Bihar, She is the most celebrated and renowned singer of Bihar in both Bhojpuri and Maithili languages. India. She is known for her version of the Chhath Puja themed song "Pahele Pahil Hum Kayeni Chhath".
Sharda Sinha sings Maithili, Bhojpuri and Magahi songs, and has received the Padma Shri award for her contribution to music. Prayag Sangeet Samiti organised Basant Mahotsava at Prayag where Padma Shri Sharda Sinha presented numerous songs based on the theme of spring season, where the advent of spring was narrated through folk songs. She regularly performs during Durga Puja festivities. She performed when the Prime Minister of Mauritius Navin Ramgoolam came to Bihar.
Sinha also sang the song "Kahe Toh Se Sajna" in the hit movie Maine Pyar Kia (1989), "Taar Bijli" from Bollywood film Gangs of Wasseypur Part 2 and "Kaun Si Nagaria" from Bollywood film Chaarfutiya Chhokare.
Sharda Sinha and Chhath
In the songs - with lyrics like Supawo Naa Mile Maai and Pahile Pahil Chhathi Maiya - Sharda is urging people to come to Bihar during Chhath. Other Chhath songs played during the festival include Kelwa Ke Paat Par Ugalan Suraj Mal Jhake Jhuke, Hey Chhathi Maiya, Ho Dinanath, Bahangi Lachakat Jaaye, Roje Roje Ugelaa, Suna Chhathi Maai, Jode Jode Supawa and Patna Ke Ghat Par. Though old, the songs are relevant and devotees play them every year.
"High-handedness of music companies and lack of good lyrics had kept me away all this while," Sharda told The Telegraph on 3 November 2016. "As these issues got addressed this year, I rendered my voice to the songs." It took 20 days to shoot the songs, which were released on Diwali.
The lyricist for Supawo Naa Mile Maai (5.57 minutes) is Hriday Narayan Jha and for Pahile Pahil Chhathi Maiya (6.57 minutes) both Shanti Jain and Sharda. Pahile Pahil... - produced by Neetu Chandra, Nitin Neera Chandra and Anshuman Sinha - has been released under the banners of Swar Sharda (Sharda Sinha Music Foundation), Champaran Talkies and Neo Bihar. Supawo Na Mile Maai has been released under the banner of Swar Sharda and produced by Anshuman.
Sharda's last album on Chhath, Arag, had eight songs. In her entire career, she has sung 62 Chhath songs in nine albums released by T-Series, HMV and Tips. "Through these songs, I have tried my level best to save our rich culture and tradition," Sharda said. "There is a urban contemporary feel so that people can relate to it."
Sharda has also lent her voice to some Hindi film songs, like Kahe Toh Se Sajna in Maine Pyar Kiya, the movie in which Salman Khan made his debut. There are other songs by her in Hum Apke Hai Kaun, Anurag Kashyap's critically acclaimed Gangs of Wasseypur (part II), Char Footiya Chokre and Nitin Neera Chandra's Deswa.
- "This Chhath Puja song is making people so nostalgic, they want to go home". The Indian Express. 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "of spring narrated through folk songs". The Times of India. 2009-03-22. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- Manisha Prakash (2003-10-04). "Music maestros add to Puja festivities". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- "Puja euphoria reaches a crescendo". The Times of India. 2003-10-04. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- Faizan Ahmad & Dipak Mishra (2008-02-19). "Mauritius scholarship for two". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- A new brand of music in Gangs Of Wasseypur series
- "Sharda Sinha's performance at Bihar Utsav an instant hit". The Times of India. 2010-03-28. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- Gangs of Wasseypur Part 2: Music Review
- Amit Bhelari (2016-11-04). "Sweet and sour festive notes in the air - Sharda back with a bang after decade". The Telegraph (Calcutta). Retrieved 2016-11-28.