Dumbarton East railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Breatann an Ear|
Dumbarton East railway station's slightly neglected state
|Local authority||West Dunbartonshire|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway|
|1 October 1896||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Dumbarton East from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Dumbarton East railway station serves the town of Dumbarton in the West Dunbartonshire region of Scotland. The station is managed by ScotRail and is served by trains on the North Clyde Line, 15 miles (24 km) west of Glasgow Queen Street.
Unlike the majority of the North Clyde line stations, this is an island platform, betraying its Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway origins. At the time of electrification by British Railways in 1961, the North British Railway's formation from Bowling was abandoned (except a short spur to serve Bowling Oil Terminal), with a short link line between the North British and Caledonian formations being constructed. The North British formation is regained between Dumbarton East and Dumbarton Central station at the site of the junction between the two railways.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
North Clyde Line
Line partially in use; Station closed
Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway
Line open; Station open
- Butt (1995), page 84
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- RAILSCOT on the Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway