2019 European Parliament election in the United Kingdom
All 73 United Kingdom seats to the European Parliament
The United Kingdom and Gibraltar were due to be part of the 2019 European Parliamentary elections, but, following the UK's decision to leave the European Union in 2016, the UK is scheduled to cease being a member of the European Union prior to the planned election date in 2019, in which case the elections will not occur.
However, on 27 May 2018 it was reported that the Electoral Commission had set aside £829,000 for its "activities relating to a European Parliamentary election in 2019". The Commission has described the money as a "precautionary measure, so that we have the necessary funds to deliver our functions at a European Parliamentary election, in the unlikely event that they do go ahead." The European Council has also drawn up contingency plans allowing the UK to retain its MEPs should Brexit be postponed.
Party affiliation of MEPs before the 2019 election
Constituencies and representation
As has been the case since 1999, the electoral constituencies are based on the government's nine English regions, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, creating a total of 12 constituencies. The seat allocation has been the same since 2008:
|East of England||7|
|North East England||3|
|North West England||8|
|South East England||10|
|South West England1||6|
|Yorkshire and the Humber||6|
- Hope, Christopher (26 May 2018). "Fear over 'secret' Government plan for UK to stay in EU after deadline as cash set aside for European elections". The Telegraph. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Wheeler, Caroline (27 May 2018). "John Bercow's committee sets aside nearly £1m for post-Brexit EU election". The Sunday Times. London. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Kanter, Jake (27 May 2018). "Brexit supporters are angry about a 'secret plot' to keep Britain in Europe after £829,000 is set aside for EU elections". Business Insider UK. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Stone, Jon (16 June 2018). "EU making preparations for possibility of Brexit being postponed". The Independent. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "MEPs by Member State and political group, 8th parliamentary term". European Parliament. Retrieved 14 January 2019.