|Traded as||NASDAQ: GAIA|
Boulder, Colorado, U.S.
|Headquarters||Louisville, Colorado, U.S.|
Gaia, Inc. is an online video subscription service. Under their Gaiam subsidiary, they also provide fitness products and media, including products relating to stress relief and the practice of yoga. Gaia, mother Earth, was honored on the Isle of Crete in ancient Greece 5,000 years ago by the Minoan civilization. The concept of Gaia stems from the ancient philosophy that the Earth is a living entity. Its brands include Gaiam TV which changed its name to Gaia in 2016.
Gaiam was founded in Boulder, Colorado in 1988 by Jirka Rysavy. His vision was to serve the "conscious consumer", a group subsequently named the "Cultural Creatives" by sociologist Paul Ray in 1996: educated consumers who make purchasing decisions based on their values. Paul Ray now serves on Gaiam's board of directors.
In 2003, it bought a 50.1% share in its UK distributor Leisure Systems International (LSI). LSI subsequently changed its name to Gaiam Ltd. In May 2008 however the UK directors of Gaiam Ltd bought back their share of the business and changed the company name again to HAB International Ltd.
In 2001, Gaiam merged with Real Goods Solar, a California-based company specializing in the production and distribution of solar power systems, other renewable energy equipment, and off-grid/sustainable living products.
Gaiam launched Real Goods in 2008 to provide "off grid living" items like solar power invertors and tankless water heaters.
In 2012, Gaiam acquired a DVD distributor from Universal Music Group Distribution (a subsidiary of Vivendi) and merged it with its home entertainment division, forming Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment.
In 2011, Gaiam, Inc announced the launch of Gaiam TV, a streaming video subscription service offering streaming of over 5,000 films and documentaries dedicated to yoga, fitness, conscious media, personal growth and spirituality. Many of the titles in GaiamTV's library feature respected experts and individuals, such as Rodney Yee and Jillian Michaels, as well as Deepak Chopra and The Dalai Lama.
In December 2012, GaiamTV.com announced a new original show with George Noory, host of radio's Coast to Coast AM. The new show covers many of the topics such as psychic vampires, privacy issues, and topics that generally fall outside of what mainstream media will cover.
Similar to other streaming video services, Gaiam TV is available on a variety of platforms including Roku, iPad, and iPhone.
On 20 November 2015, Gaiam TV announced that it has changed its name to Gaia.
- Miller, Ben (11 May 2016). "Gaiam metamorphosis: Will sell its yoga brand and also change its name". Denver Business Journal. Archived from the original on 18 August 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- 'Gaiam Third Child of Entrepreneur Rysavy,' Boulder County Business Report, November 1, 1998, p. 1.
- Ray, P. H. (2001). The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World. New York: Broadway
- Gaiam, Inc. (2003). 10-K Annual Report 2003. Retrieved December 20, 2012 from Gaiam Corporate Website Archived June 16, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- 'Gaiam, Real Goods to Merge,' Denver Post, October 17, 2000, p. C2.
- Gaiam closes GoodTimes Entertainment Deal at $35M" Archived 2013-12-14 at the Wayback Machine.. Denver Business Journal. 9-14-2005. Retrieved 12-20-2012.
- "Gaiam, Zaadz, LIME Media & Conscious Enlightenment Create Unified Source for LOHAS". Bloomberg. 6-6-2007. Retrieved 12-20-2012
- Zaadz: Green Living Social Network Acquired" Archived 2013-01-26 at the Wayback Machine.. Mashable. 6-6-2007. Retrieved 12-20-2012
- Gaiam Completes Acquisition of Vivendi Entertainment Creating Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment, the Nation’s Largest Independent Content Distributor - MarketWatch Archived 2012-05-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Gaiam Acquires Vivendi Entertainment: Deal creates major indie distrib of nontheatrical content" Archived 2012-06-29 at the Wayback Machine.. Variety Magazine. 4-3-2012. Retrieved 12-20-2012
- Gaiam, Inc (2011). 10-K Annual Report 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2012 from Gaiam Corporate Website. Archived February 1, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "George Noory's Online TV Show Launches December 14th" Archived 2014-02-03 at the Wayback Machine.. All Access. 12-11-2012.
- "Gaiam TV Is Now Gaia." Retrieved 24 November , 2015, from Gaia corporate website. Archived 2015-11-25 at the Wayback Machine.