|Founded||16 May 2008|
|Baptiest Coopmans (CEO)|
|Revenue||€ 1,564.8 million (2013)|
|€ 347.3 million (2013)|
Number of employees
|2,571 FTE (2013 avg.)|
|Parent||Liberty Global plc|
The company is the result of the merger between Multikabel, @Home Network, and Casema and launched officially on 16 May 2008. Later followed by a merger with UPC Nederland in the first quarter of 2015, at that time the second largest cable company in the Netherlands. It kept the brand name Ziggo. Its main competitors are KPN and CanalDigitaal.
In March 2013 Liberty Global acquired a 12.65% stake in Ziggo. This increased to 15% in April and 28.5% in July. On 27 January 2014 Liberty Global announced that it would be acquiring all remaining shares in Ziggo for € 10 billion. The takeover will be subject to regulatory approval and was expected to close by the second quarter of 2014, when Ziggo was expected to merge with UPC Nederland. In May 2014 the European Commission announced opening an in-depth investigation to assess whether the proposed acquisition of Ziggo by Liberty Global is in line with the EU Merger Regulation. The opening of an in-depth inquiry does not prejudge the outcome of the investigation. In November 2014 Liberty Global took over Ziggo. In December 2014 the shares of Ziggo N.V. were delisted from Euronext Amsterdam as Ziggo was converted into the Dutch private limited company (besloten vennootschap) Ziggo Holding B.V. On 5 January 2015 Ziggo started to harmonize its cable network with the UPC Nederland cable network. The name UPC was finally phased out in favor of Ziggo on 13 April 2015.
In 2014 the Ziggo cable network passed 4.289 million homes in the Netherlands.
Ziggo offers analog and digital cable television to 4.289 million subscribers of which 3.387 million watch digital. In recent years the number of analogue channels has been reduced to make more bandwidth available for digital HD channels.
Analogue and digital
Ziggo provides about 200 television channels including about 53 in HD and also more than 100 radio channels, DVR service, video-on-demand content, catch-up TV from public television broadcasters and commercial television stations and interactive television using the DVB-C specification. At the moment Ziggo uses both the Nagravision and Irdeto conditional access system. Nevertheless about 40 TV channels and also 40 radio channels are transmitted in clear (unencrypted).
Basic service is called Kabel TV  and includes both analogue and digital channels, consists of about 40 digital (including 3 HD) and 25 analogue television channels, as well as 40 digital radio channels. It consists of all the major Dutch networks and some of the main networks of neighbouring countries. Additional TV and radio channels are available through "TV Standaard", "TV Royaal" and premium packages. Every additional package comes with Stingray Music which offers 35 additional radio channels, as well as interactive video on demand services.
Ziggo offers about 53 HD channels including National Geographic Channel HD, Discovery HD & History HD. Also including premium film and sport services such as Film1 HD, HBO HD and Sport1 HD. The rest are part of basic service.
In the early stages most of the programming consisted of upscaled versions of their SD counterparts. In time more programs became available in HD.
The digital television signal uses the DVB-C standard. Most standard-definition channels are encoded in MPEG-2 and most high-definition channels in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. Customers can buy or rent a certified set-top box or Integrated Digital Television with embedded CA, which are sold by Ziggo and consumer electronic retailers. Additionally customers can buy any television with a DVB-C tuner and CI+ support with a Ziggo compatible conditional-access module.
|Subscription form||Download speed||Upload speed||Telephone||Monthly cost|
|TV + Internet Start||40 Mbit/s||4 Mbit/s||No||€ 44.50|
|TV + Internet Complete||120 Mbit/s||12 Mbit/s||No||€ 58.50|
|TV + Internet Max||200 Mbit/s||20 Mbit/s||No||€ 72.50|
|Alles-in-1 Start||40 Mbit/s||4 Mbit/s||Yes||€ 45.95|
|Alles-in-1 Complete||120 Mbit/s||12 Mbit/s||Yes||€ 59.95|
|Alles-in-1 Max||200 Mbit/s||20 Mbit/s||Yes||€ 73.95|
With the introduction of EuroDOCSIS 3.0 across the broadband Internet network download speeds have been increased up to 200 Mbit/s except in areas where the network has not been adapted to the EuroDOCSIS 3.0 standard. The latest general speed increase was in March 2015.
Ziggo has 2.576 million subscribers to their land-line telephone services. It also offers a virtual mobile phone service.
At the end of 2013 Ziggo had 1.558 million triple play subscribers. Of these subscribers the majority are subscribed to Alles-in-1 cable television, broadband internet and telephone service bundles.
- Digital television in the Netherlands
- Internet in the Netherlands
- List of cable companies in the Netherlands
- Television in the Netherlands
- Ziggo Dome
- Ziggo Bond Company B.V. (2014). "Ziggo NV Annual Report 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- Gertjan Groen (2008-01-29). "Kabelbedrijf Zesko verder onder de naam Ziggo". Telecomwereld.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2008-05-15.
- "Ziggo Investor Relations". Ziggo.com. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- Cinven and Warburg Pincus plan to further reduce stake in Ziggo N.V.
- Cinven and Warburg Pincus have further reduced stake in Ziggo N.V.
- Briel, Robert (2013-04-29). "Cinven, Warburg Pincus exit Ziggo". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Briel, Robert (2013-03-28). "Liberty Global acquires 12.65% stake in Ziggo". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Briel, Robert (2013-07-28). "Liberty Global increases stake in Ziggo to 28.5%". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Liberty Global to Acquire Ziggo Strategic combination creates national Dutch cable operator" (PDF). Ziggo.com. 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- Briel, Robert (2014-01-27). "Liberty Global to acquire Ziggo for €10bn". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Briel, EC Press Relaese (2014-05-18). "Mergers: Commission opens in-depth investigation into proposed acquisition of Dutch cable operator Ziggo by Liberty Global". European Commissions. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Ziggo completes delisting and converts to a Dutch private limited company
- "UPC en Ziggo nu samen als Ziggo verder". TotaalTV.nl. 2015-04-13.
- Liberty Global Reports Fiscal 2014 Results
- Ziggo. "Zenderoverzicht TV" (in Dutch). Ziggo. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- Ziggo. "Zenderoverzicht Radio" (in Dutch). Ziggo. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- Ziggo. "Zenderoverzicht TV nieuw" (in Dutch). Ziggo. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- Ziggo. ""Abonnementen digitale televisie van Ziggo" (in Dutch). Ziggo. Retrieved 2015-05-04.
- JK (2009-06-16). "Nederlandse Publieke Omroep dicht bij start HDTV". TotaalTV (in Dutch). SBS Broadcasting. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- Ziggo. "Quarterly Results Q3 2014" (PDF). Ziggo. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- ziggo.nl (Dutch)
- List of channels on Ziggo
- ziggo.com Corporate website Ziggo
- Chelloo (Ziggo) Users forum (Dutch)
- ziggo-gebruikers.nl Ziggo Gebruikers Forum (Dutch)
- Ziggo N.V. Q1 2014 results