|Launched||14 January 2002|
|Owned by||Hillsong Church and Trinity Broadcasting Network|
720p (HDTV and online)
|Country||United States and Australia|
|Formerly called||The Church Channel (2002-2016)|
|Available on full-power and some low-power stations in most markets in the U.S.||x.2 on most TBN owned-and-operated stations and affiliates; check local listings for stations|
Hillsong Channel is an American and Australian Christian-based broadcast television network and is a joint venture of the international Sydney-based Hillsong Church, and the American Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN). It was originally launched as The Church Channel in 2002.
2002–2016: The Church Channel
Prior to the launch of the Hillsong Channel the network was known as The Church Channel and maintained their main operations base out of TBN's WPGD-TV in Nashville, Tennessee. Programming consisted of Christian worship services, 90% of which must be of an instructional, evangelistic or ministerial nature. The network had put strict guidelines on fundraising and other announcements, limiting them to 10% of the program. The Church Channel encouraged churches to submit recordings of their services with the intent of putting them on the air.
2016–present: Hillsong Channel
On March 9, 2016, TBN announced a partnership with the Sydney-based international congregation Hillsong Church that originally saw The Church Channel rebooted as the Hillsong Channel on June 15, 2016, in line with Hillsong's American expansion plans. The launch date was later moved up to June 1, 2016. It was the second major change in TBN's American operations in a matter of years, after the previous year's launch of TBN Salsa and changes in scheduling for Smile of a Child and JUCE TV over-the-air to accommodate TBN Salsa. Unlike that launch (where Smile and JUCE maintained 24/7 streaming-only services), The Church Channel was not maintained as a 24/7 streaming service through TBN's streaming operations, and some TCC programming has been blended into the Hillsong Channel schedule, albeit in morning and early afternoon timeslots.
Hillsong Channel is available over-the-air on digital subchannels of TBN owned-and-operated and affiliated stations nationwide, usually on the second subchannel (for example, if the local TBN station broadcasts on channel 17, then Hillsong Channel would be carried on digital subchannel 17.2).
It is also available on select U.S. cable providers, Dish Network, Glorystar (free-to-air Galaxy 19) and DirecTV, in the UK on Sky and in many nations around the world via direct-to-home satellite, such as ABS1 to India and the Middle East, Hot Bird satellite to Europe, and Agila 2 satellite both C-band and Ku-Band signal in Asia and the Philippines. The network also livestreams its programming on its official website. Spectrum launched the network in 720p high definition at the start of August 2017.
On June 24, 2016, Hillsong Channel was made available on Apple TV.
In Australia, Hillsong Channel first launched on July 24, 2016 on IPTV provider Fetch TV. On September 11, 2016 it was announced at Hillsong Church Services that Hillsong Channel would launch on satellite and cable pay television provider Foxtel on December 16, 2017. 13 October of that year Hillsong Channel was made available in Australia on Foxtel Channel 183.
Hillsong Channel Now
Hillsong Channel Now, also stylized as Hillsong Channel NOW, is a subscription video on demand service which provides access to original Hillsong programming. It launched on 1 November 2017. In the lead up to and after the launch of the Hillsong Channel, it was identified that there was a "rapid growth of digital and on-demand platforms", which created an opportunity to share the gospel directly into homes and people's personal devices. It was also identified that there is a large group of people who are not necessarily watching traditional TV but who do watch TV content
Original programming includes:
- Hillsong Church Services from worldwide Hillsong congregations, including London, Sydney, New York and Los Angeles.
- Best of Hillsong Conference
- Hillsong Conference Live
- What Do You See? with Robert Fergusson
- Brian Houston TV
- Colour Conference: Main Stage, Green Room, The Edition
- Chapel: The College Experience - Services and stories from the Hillsong International Leadership College
- What's Cooking with Young & Free - Cooking series with a comedic bent
- Hillsong Kids: A Big Life - Children's programme for ages 6-12
- Hillsong Kids Jr Cubby House - Children's programme for ages 3–5
- Sex, Love, and Relationships
- "Worship by Hillsong" - Music videos by Hillsong United, Hillsong Worship, and Hillsong Young & Free.
- Elevation Church
- Joel Osteen
- Enjoying Everyday Life
Hillsong Channel also airs specials documentaries, other worship programming and music programming such as a special around Let There Be Light, along with other Hillsong events and short series.
- "The Church Channel - Request Church Channel". Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- Ong, Czarina (March 21, 2016). "Hillsong Church to launch own TV channel to 'exalt Jesus and empower people' 24/7". Christian Today. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- "Christian Television Leader TBN Partnering With Hillsong in Launch of Innovative Worship Network" (Press release). Trinity Broadcasting Network & Hillsong Church. March 9, 2016. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- "TBN Salsa English Language Hispanic Faith and family network launches". Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Hillsong Channel – live broadcast Hillsong Church, Worship, conferences and leadership resources for Apple TV by Hillsong Church". Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- "Hillsong Channel now available on Fetch TV". Christian Today Ministries. August 4, 2016. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- @hillsong (July 24, 2016). "Hey Australia! @HillsongChannel is now available on #FetchTV on CH 197! Get Fetch TV at fetchtv.com.au" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Hillsong Church - Spiritually Alive, Not Staying Alive". Youtube. Hillsong Church. 10 September 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "The Hillsong Channel: The Next Step in Christian Television? | Phil Cooke". www.philcooke.com. 24 May 2017.
- "The Story of 'Hillsong Channel' on Global TV: A Chat With Ben Field [Interview]". 3 August 2016.