List of terrorist incidents in August 2019
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a list of some of the terrorist, alleged terrorist or suspected terrorist incidents which took place in August 2019, including incidents by violent non-state actors for political, religious, or ideological motives.
- Types of incidents must be reflected by at least one clearly reliable source unambiguously defining the event as terrorism and must comply with the guidelines outlined in the manual of style under WP:TERRORIST.
- Casualties figures in this list are the total casualties of the incident including immediate casualties and later casualties (such as people who succumbed to their wounds long after the attacks occurred).
- Casualties listed are the victims. Perpetrator casualties are listed separately (e.g. x (+y) indicate that x victims and y perpetrators were killed/injured).
- Casualty totals may be underestimated or unavailable due to a lack of information. A figure with a plus (+) sign indicates that at least that many people have died (e.g. 10+ indicates that at least 10 people have died) – the actual toll could be considerably higher. A figure with a plus (+) sign may also indicate that over that number of people are victims.
- If casualty figures are 20 or more, they will be shown in bold. In addition, figures for casualties more than 50 will also be underlined.
- Incidents are limited to one per location per day. If multiple attacks occur in the same place on the same day, they will be merged into a single incident.
- In addition to the guidelines above, the table also includes the following categories:
- 0 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 1–19 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 20–49 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 50–99 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 100+ people were killed/injured by the incident.
Total incidents: 58
|1||Suicide car bombing||13 (+1)||Dozens||Aden, Yemen||A suicide car bomber blew himself up outside a police station in the Yemeni capital of Aden, killing 13 security soldiers and wounding dozens of others. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|2||Bombing||3||1||Razmak, Pakistan||Three SF personnel were killed and another was injured in a terrorist attack on the Malkan SF checkpost in the Razmak area of North Waziristan District.||Unknown||Insurgency in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|2||Stabbing||4 (+2)||Unknown||Guederou, Cameroon||Boko Haram terrorists attacked the village of Guederou, Cameroon, stabbing to death four villagers and wounding others. Two terrorists were killed and others were wounded by soldiers.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|2||Shooting||19||Unknown||Abyan, Yemen||Al-Qaeda militants stormed the al-Mahfad army base in southern Abyan province, in Yemen and remained inside for several hours before military reinforcements came, killing 19 soldiers and wounded several others.||Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula||Yemeni Civil War|
|2||Shooting||10||15||Daykundi Province, Afghanistan||At least 10 Afghan police officers have been killed and 15 others wounded in a Taliban attack on a checkpoint in central Daikundi Province. Some Taliban fighters were also killed in the shooting.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|2||Shooting||1 (+1)||1||Shopian, India||A soldier was killed and another injured after militants opened fire on them. One of the attackers was killed by other soldiers.||Islamists||Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir|
|3||Bombing||2||Unknown||Abyan, Yemen||Two soldiers were killed and others were injured after their vehicle strucked a bomb planted by suspected Al-Qaeda members..||Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (suspected)||Yemeni Civil War|
|3||Mass shooting||22||24||El Paso, Texas, United States||2019 El Paso shooting: A mass shooting took place at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, United States, on the morning of August 3, 2019. Twenty-two people were killed and 24 others were injured. A single gunman is suspected of committing the shooting. He was apprehended by police shortly afterward and arrested. The FBI is investigating the shooting as an act of domestic terrorism and a possible hate crime; no charges have been filed. The attacker released a manifesto before the attack, expressing support for and inspiration by the Christchurch mosque shootings, along with worry about Hispanic invasion, automation, large corporations, and environmental degradation. He quoted that "Hispanics will take control of the local and state government of my beloved Texas, changing policy to better suit their needs."||Patrick Crusius||Terrorism in the United States|
|4||Bombing||20 (+1)||49||Cairo, Egypt||2019 Cairo bombing: An explosion following a crash caused by a car that drove into three other cars outside a hospital in central Cairo has left 20 people dead and 47 injured. Initially it appeared to be an accident, but the next day the Interior Minister declared that there were explosives inside the car which were to be used in a terrorist operation. The attacker was killed in the explosion. The explosives-filled car was being driven to another part of the capital to carry out an attack when it crashed into other cars. The minister accused the Hasm Movement, but the group denied the allegations.||Hasm Movement (suspected)||Sinai insurgency|
|4||Bombing||2||4||Kabul, Afghanistan||A magnetic IED blast targeted a bus carrying the employees of Khurshid TV, a private media outlet, in the fifth street of Taimani in Kabul’s police district 4. The driver of the bus and a passerby were killed in the bombing, while three employees of a Khurshid TV network and another person were wounded.||Taliban (suspected)||War in Afghanistan|
|5||Shooting||7||Unknown||Kabul, Afghanistan||A policeman in Kandahar shot and killed seven of his colleagues on behalf of Taliban insurgents.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|5||Bombing||4||25||Herat, Afghanistan||At least four civilians were killed and 25 more wounded as a result of an IED explosion in the western city of Herat on Monday. The majority of the victims were local business owners.||Taliban (suspected)||War in Afghanistan|
|5||Suicide bombings||5||Several||Monguno, Nigeria||Boko Haram militants stormed a village in Monguno, killing five civilians and wounding several others.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|5||Bombing||1||0||Ségou, Mali||A gendarme was killed in an ambush in the Segou, Mali, east of the capital Bamako.||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|6||Shooting||3||Unknown||Koro Mali||Two army trucks were targeted by an explosive device in the Koro area near the Burkina Faso border, resulting in the deaths of a soldier and two civilians.||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|7||Suicide bombings||3 (+2)||8||Mafa, Nigeria||Two Boko Haram suicide bombers blew themself up in a crowd in Mafa, Nigeria, killing three civilians and wounding eight others.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|7||Car bombing||5||1||Al-Qahtaniyah, Syria||A car bombing was detonated remotely in front of the post office in Al-Qahtaniyah, Syria, killing five people, inckuding three children. A member of the local security forces was wounded in the attack. The Islamic State claimed responsibility.||Islamic State||Syrian Civil War|
|7||Suicide bombing||15 (+1)||140+||Kabul, Afghanistan||7 August 2019 Kabul bombing: At least 14 people have been killed and more than 140 wounded after a Taliban suicide attack outside a police station in the Afghanistan capital of Kabul.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|10||Shooting||1||1 (+1)||Bærum, Norway||Bærum mosque shooting: A gunman opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre, just outside the Norwegian capital Oslo, wounding a man. Only three people were inside the building at the time of the attack. A woman was later found dead at the house of the attacker. The attack is being investigated as a terrorist attack.||Philip Manshaus||Right-wing terrorism in Europe|
|13||Shooting||3||1||Talipao, Sulu, Philippines||Abu Sayyaff terrorists opened fire on two soldiers on a motorcycle on a busy road, killing them both on the spot. A two-year-old girl was also killed by a stray bullet fired by the attackers, who also wounded 11-year-old girl.||Abu Sayyaf||Moro conflict|
|14||Shooting||3||Unknown||Mogadishu, Somalia||Al-Shabaab launched an attack against a newly established military camp near Mogadishu, bu troops managed to "fend off two car bombs and a gun raid". However, three people died in the attack.||Al-Shabaab||Somali Civil War|
|14||Suicide Bombing||6 (+1)||5||Kaiga, Chad||A suicide bomber killed six people and wounded five others in Western Chad, at the home of a traditional chieftain. Boko Haram is suspected to have carried out the attack.||Boko Haram (suspected)||Boko Haram insurgency|
|16||Bombings||7||3||Sourou Province and Djibo, Burkina Faso||A bomb killed four soldiers and wounded two others in the Sourou Province, Burkina Faso. Hours later, another bomb in the city of Djibo, killed three police officers and wounded another.||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|16||Bombing||5||20||Quetta, Pakistan||A bomb inside a mosque in Quetta, Pakistan, killed five people, including an imam, and wounded 20 others. No group claimed responsibility for the attack.||Unknown||Insurgency in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|17||Bombing||2||0||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan||Two Security Force personnel were killed in an improvised explosive device explosion in Laddha tehsil of North Waziristan District in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.||Unknown||Insurgency in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|17||Suicide bombing||80 (+1)||160+||Kabul, Afghanistan||17 August 2019 Kabul bombing: A bomb exploded in a wedding hall in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing 80 people and wounding more than 160. The explosion happened at around 22:40 local time (18.10 GMT) in an area in the west of the city mostly populated by Shia Muslims. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.||Islamic State||War in Afghanistan|
|18||Stabbing||0||2 (+1)||Surabaya, Indonesia||A man assaulted two Wonokromo Police officers working at a Police Integrated Service Center in Surabaya, East Java, using a sickle. The first officer sustained cuts on his hands, right cheek and the back of his head, while the second was bruised when he apprehended the attacker. A suspected Islamic State sympathizer was behind the attack. He was shot and injured by another officer.||Islamic State sympathizer||Terrorism in Indonesia|
|18||Car bombing||1||2||Qamishli, Syria||A car bomb killed one member of a security force and wounded two others in the Kurdish-controlled city of Qamishli in northeastern Syria. Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.||Islamic State||Syrian Civil War|
|18||Shooting||4||0||Borno State, Nigeria||Boko Haram militants opened fire on a military patrol in Mogula village in the east of Borno state, close to the border with Cameroon, killing four soldiers and seizing two machine guns.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|18||Bombing||12||Unknown||Balkh Province, Afghanistan||A mini-bus carrying civilians hit the roadside improvised explosive device in the Barbar village early in the morning, killing 12 civilians. Is suspected that the Taliban planted the bomb.||Taliban (suspected)||War in Afghanistan|
|19||Bombings||0||123||Jalalabad, Afghanistan||123 people, including children, have been wounded after a series of ten explosions in restaurants and public squares hit the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, as the country marked the 100th anniversary of its independence from British rule. No group claimed responsibility for the bombings. Even if many bombs exploded and several people were injured, no one died in the attacks.||Unknown||War in Afghanistan|
|19||Bombing||0||0||Newtownbutler, United Kingdom||Newtownbutler bombing: A bomb exploded near the town of Newtownbutler, Northern Ireland as police and the bomb squad was searching for a device that was reported in the area over the weekend. No one was injured in the attack which has been blamed on the New IRA. ||New IRA (suspected)||Dissident Irish Republican campaign|
|19||Shooting||24||7||Koutougou, Burkina Faso||Unidentified militants launched an attack on an army unit, killing 24 soldiers and wounding 7 others, the heaviest loss for the army in its fight to contain Islamist violence. The army said it had launched a land and air operation in response to the attack. Jama'at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin claimed responsibility for the attack three days later.||Jama'at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|19||Shooting||1||3||Rangamati, Bangladesh||An army man was killed and three others were injured in a shooting against a patrol team of Bangladeshi Army. Terrorists carried out the attack, but it's unknown what terror group was behind it.||Unknown||Terrorism in Bangladesh|
|21||Shooting||5||Unknown||Central Mali||Suspected jihadists killed five soldiers in an ambush in central Mali. The soldiers were travelling between the towns of Hombori and Boni, about 100 km north of the Burkina Faso border, when they fell into an ambush.||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|21||Shooting||1 (+1)||0||Srinagar, India||A Lashkar-e-Taiba militant and a police officer have been killed in a gun battle in Indian-administered Kashmir in what is believed to be the first clash with insurgents since the revocation of the territory’s special status.||Lashkar-e-Taiba||Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir|
|21||Bombing||2||0||Afghanistan||Two American service members were killed in combat in Afghanistan. The nature and location of the incident is unknown so far.||Unknown||War in Afghanistan|
|23||Shooting||3 (+5)||2 (+8)||Khogyani District, Afghanistan||Three policemen were killed and two others are injured after Taliban militants launched an attack against a police checkpoint in Khogyani District. Five militants were also killed and eight others injured.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|23||Bombing||4||30||Diyala Governorate, Iraq||Four people were killed and 30 others injured in a motorcycle bombing in the town of al-Mussayab, in Babil Province south of Iraq's capital Baghdad. The blast took place in the evening when a booby-trapped motorcycle went off at a crowded marketplace.||Islamic State (suspected)||Iraqi insurgency|
|23||Bombings||1||2||West Bank||A 17-year-old Israeli girl has been killed while her father and brother were injured in a bomb attack near a Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank. No one claimed responsibility for the attack.||Unknown||Israeli–Palestinian conflict|
|24||Shooting||1||Unknown||Sidéradougou Department, Burkina Faso||A gendarme was killed in an ambush carried out by militants in the Sidéradougou Department, Burkina Faso.||Jama'at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|24||Shooting||12||Unknown||Gueskerou, Niger||A night raid blamed on Boko Haram has left 12 villagers dead in southeastern Niger. Eleven of the dead were shot dead.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|25||Bombings||2||8||Mogadishu, Somalia||Two bombs exploded in Somalia's capital Mogadishu. The first attack involved a roadside bomb targeting security forces in Mogadishu’s Hadan neighborhood, killing one person and wounding four others, the second attack took place near a security checkpoint near in the capital, killing a former secretary of the Banadir regional administration. Four others were also injured. Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the bombings.||Al-Shabaab||Somali Civil War|
|25||Shooting||6||9||Kirkuk, Iraq||Six people were killed and nine others wounded after Islamic State militants opened fire at a football pitch near a Shiite shrine, in Kirkuk.||Islamic State||Iraqi insurgency|
|26||Kidnapping, execution||4||12 kidnapped||Borno State, Nigeria||Boko Haram militants killed four persons and abducted 21 others when they stormed a village in Nigeria's northeastern state of Borno. They also looted foodstuffs before setting some houses ablaze. Nine of the kidnapped people managed to escape later, but twelve others are still kidnapped.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|26||Bombing||1||1||Diyala Governorate, Iraq||An Iraqi policeman was killed and another wounded by a roadside bomb targeting a police patrol vehicle in the eastern province of Diyala.||Islamic State (suspected)||Iraqi insurgency|
|27||Executions||2||0||Pulwama, India||Two members of a nomadic community were killed by terrorists in the higher reaches of Tral in south Kashmir after they were abducted from their temporary shelter last week.||Jaish-e-Mohammed||Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir|
|27||Shooting||11||Several||Borno State, Nigeria||Fighters belonging to Islamic State West Africa Province opened fire on a group of construction workers as they were laying telecom fibre optic cables in Wajirko village, killing 11 and injuring many.||Islamic State's West Africa Province||Boko Haram insurgency|
|27||Shooting||3||0||Bam Province, Burkina Faso||Three people were killed in a village in the northern village of Kourao, Burkina Faso, in a hit-and-run raid carried out by four jihadist insurgents.||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|28||Suicide bombings||3 (+2)||1+||Gaza City, Palestine||Two Palestinian police officers were killed and another person was wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up from a motorcycle near a police check point, while another officer was killed and many others were injured in a second suicide bombing at an another checkpoint. Islamic State in Gaza, known as Sheikh Omar Hadid Brigade, is suspected to be behind the bombings.||Sheikh Omar Hadid Brigade||Gaza–Israel conflict|
|28||Shooting||15||9+||Herat, Afghanistan||Taliban fighters have killed at least 15 members of a pro-government militia in Herat, and wounded nine others. Several civilians were also injured.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|29||Shooting||3 (+1)||7||Koro Mali||Three soldiers were killed and seven others wounded after militants opened fire on them. An attacker was killed by the soldiers.||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (suspected)||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|29||Shooting||1||0||Srinagar, India||Three motorbike-borne terrorists killed a 65-year-old shopkeeper for keeping his grocery shop open at Parimpora in the outskirts of Srinagar.||Islamists||Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir|
|30||Suicide bombing||6 (+1)||Unknown||Aden, Yemen||A suicide bomb attack in the Yemeni port of Aden that killed six southern separatist fighters. The attacker on a motorcycle and targeted a patrol from the Security Belt group. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|30||Shooting||8||Several||Borno State, Nigeria||Eight Nigerian soldiers were killed in an insurgent ambush in the Lake Chad area of Nigeria’s Borno state. The troops were ambushed in the Gasarwa area, between Monguno and Gajiram.||Islamic State's West Africa Province||Boko Haram insurgency|
|30-31||Executions, kidnapping||6||2 kidnapped||Borno State, Nigeria||Boko Haram militants stormed the Balumri village, killing four people and kidnapping two others. The next morning they kidnapped four other farmers and behaded them.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|31||Shooting, suicide bombing||25 (+57)||80+||Kunduz, Afghanistan||Several Taliban militants launched an assault in the Afghan city of Kunduz. They started the attack shooting on the streets, killing three civilians and twelve soldiers, and wounding 80 others. The army killed 56 militants in ground and air operations, including two commanders. During the fight, a suicide bomber blew himself up at a police station, killing eight security force members and two civilians.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|31||Bombing||0||2||Dhaka, Bangladesh||A car carrying a Cabinet minister, passing through Dhaka's busy Dhanmondi area, was targeted by a bomb. A policeman from his security team and a traffic officer were both injured in the explosion. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.||Islamic State||Terrorism in Bangladesh|
- IS claims responsibility for suicide bombing against police station in Yemen's Aden
- Pakistan: Resurgent Terror In North Waziristan – Analysis
- Boko Haram militants kill four villagers in Cameroon's Far North region
- At least 19 soldiers killed in al Qaeda attack in southern Yemen, sources
- At Least 10 Afghan Police Killed In Taliban Attack On Security Checkpoint
- Militant killed, jawan martyred in encounter in J&K's Shopian
- Roadside bombing kills 2 Yemeni security members
- "Texas Walmart shooting: Twenty killed in El Paso gun attack". BBC. August 4, 2019. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Blankstein, Andrew; Burke, Minyvonne (August 3, 2019). "El Paso shooting: 20 people dead, 26 injured, suspect in custody, police say". NBC News. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Chas Danner (August 3, 2019). "Everything We Know About the El Paso Walmart Massacre". New York Magazine, Intelligencer. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Waldrop, Theresa; Murphy, Paul P. (2019-08-04). "El Paso shooting suspect may face hate crime charge". CNN. Retrieved 2019-08-04.
- Staff (August 4, 2019). "Texas Walmart shooting: El Paso attack 'appears to be hate crime'". BBC News. Retrieved August 4, 2019.
- Romero, Simon; Fernandez, Manny; Padilla, Mariel (August 4, 2019). "El Paso Shooting: 20 People Are Dead in Massacre at Walmart". The New York Times.
- Beckett, Lois (August 3, 2019). "El Paso shooting at Walmart leaves at least 20 people dead". The Guardian. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- Twenty dead in explosion outside Cairo hospital
- Explosives-packed car kills 20, injures dozens in Cairo collision
- Car involved in Cairo blast contained explosives: interior ministry
- Explosion Targets Media Workers In Kabul, Kills Two
- Afghan policeman opens fire on colleagues, kills 7
- Blast In Herat Kills Four Civilians
- 5 Civilians Killed, Scores Injured in Borno
- Four dead in Mali attacks, Red Cross suspends Timbuktu ops
- Four dead in Mali attacks, Red Cross suspends Timbuktu ops
- Nigeria: Female Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 3 in Mafa
- Daesh car bombing kills 5 in northeast Syria
- Deadly suicide attack targets Kabul police station
- mosque shooting probed as terror act
- Eid al-Adha attack kills Filipino soldiers, child in Sulu
- 3 people killed in a foiled Al-Shabaab attack on a Somali military camp
- Suicide bomber 'kills 6' in Chad; including soldier
- Burkina Faso : quatre militaires et trois policiers tués dans différentes attaques
- Bombing at Quetta seminary kills five
- Pakistan: Resurgent Terror In North Waziristan – Analysis
- Afghanistan: Bomb kills 63 at wedding in Kabul
- Death toll in Afghanistan wedding blast rises to 80
- Suspected ‘IS’ sympathizer attacks Surabaya Police officers on Independence Day
- Car bomb hits security force in northeastern Syria, at least one killed
- Nigeria soldiers ambushed in Mogula near Cameroon border
- Roadside blast kills 12 civilians in Afghanistan
- Blasts hit Afghan city Jalalabad on independence day celebrations
- Over 100 civilians wounded in bombings in eastern Afghanistan
- Death toll from Burkina Faso militant attack rises to 24
- Burkina : Le GSIM revendique l’attaque contre l’armée à Koutougou
- Army man killed in Rangamati terror attack
- Suspected jihadists kill five Malian troops in ambush
- Two nomads abducted, killed in suspected militant attack in Kashmir’s Tral
- Two U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan as U.S.-Taliban talks continue
- 3 police, 5 militants killed in clashes in eastern Afghan province
- 4 killed, 30 wounded in motorcycle bombing south of Iraqi capital
- Israeli teenage girl killed in West Bank bomb attack
- Burkina : Un gendarme tué dans une attaque à Sidéradougou
- Twelve dead in Niger Boko Haram village attack
- Twin bomb blasts kill at least 2 in Somali capital
- Daesh attack targeting football pitch in Iraq's Kirkuk leaves 6 dead
- Boko Haram kills 4, abducts 12 in NE Nigeria raid
- Iraqi policeman killed in roadside bomb attack in Diyala province
- Two nomads abducted, killed in suspected militant attack in Kashmir’s Tral
- Au Nigeria, onze ouvriers ont été tués par des djihadistes
- Three killed in jihadist-hit Burkina region
- Gaza violence: Suicide bombers kill three officers
- Taliban kills 14 pro-government fighters in Afghanistan
- Mali: 3 soldats maliens et un assaillant tués
- Terrorists kill 65-year-old shopkeeper in Srinagar for keeping his shop open
- Islamic State claims suicide bomb attack on separatist fighters in Yemen's Aden
- Nigeria soldiers killed in ISWAP ambush near Monguno
- Nigeria: huit agriculteurs tuée par Boko Haram dans le Nord-Est
- 20 Security Force Members Killed In Kunduz Battle
- Islamic State claims attack in Bangladesh that injured two police