Chugai Pharmaceutical Co.
|Traded as||TYO: 4519|
|Industry||Pharmaceutical Industry, Business import, production and development of drugs for medical sales|
|Founded||1943 March 8|
|Headquarters||Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower, Nihonbashi Muromachi 2-1-1, Chūō, Tokyo|
On the registration Headquarter: Tokyo Kita (Tokyo)
|Osamu Nagayama - Chairman and Tatsuro Kosaka - CEO|
|Revenue||72.9 billion capital of 47 million yen. Standalone sales of 329.2 billion yen and 344.8 billion yen consolidated |
Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (中外製薬株式会社 Chūgai Seiyaku Kabushikigaisha) is a drug manufacturer operating in Japan. It is a subsidiary controlled by Hoffmann–La Roche, which owns 62% of the company as of 30 June 2014. The company is headquartered in Tokyo. Osamu Nagayama is the current representative director and chairman. Tatsuro Kosaka is the current representative director, president and CEO.
- 1961 developed patents for synthesis of vitamin A
- 1995 acute promyelocytic sphere of drug treatment leukemia Vesanoid was released.
- 1996 anti-viral chemotherapeutic agent Hivid released (HIV reverse transcriptase inhibitor)
- 1997 – HIV protease inhibitor Invirase released
- 1999 – immunosuppressive agent Cellcept released
- 2000 – Release of an antiemetic drug Kytril, developed to combat the side effects of chemotherapy
- 2001 – Produced an anti-influenza virus Tamiflu (Roche)
- 2011 - Produced Actemra, a human IL-6 receptor monoclonal antibody for rheumatoid arthritis
- 2015 – In March the company announced it would co-commercialise Athersys's stem cell therapy for ischemic strokes in Japan. The deal could yield upwards of US$205 million.
Other notable developments
Scientists at Chugai discovered an erythromycin-derived motilin agonist called mitemcinal (GM-611 or 3′-N-dimethyl-11-deoxy-3′-N-isopropyl-12-O-methyl-11-oxo-8,9-didehydroerythromycin). Mitemcinal was believed to have strong prokinetic properties, like its parent molecule, but lack antibiotic properties. Presently, erythromycin is commonly used off-label for gastric motility indications such as gastroparesis. If mitemcinal can be shown to be as effective a prokinetic agent, it would represent an advance in the field as treatment with this drug would not carry the risk of unintentional selection of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Cortez, Michelle Fay; Matsuyama, Kanoko (25 August 2014). "Roche Said to Have Decided Against Bid for Rest of Chugai". Bloomberg.
- Staff (2 March 2015). "Chugai to Co-Develop Athersys' Cell Therapy in Japan in Up-to-$205M Partnership". Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (Paper, Vol 35, i 7, p. 12). Retrieved 2016-06-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chugai Pharmaceutical.|
- English version of company homepage: Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- The transfer of operations of the Company 
|This article about a Japanese corporation– or company–related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|