Secom Co., Ltd. (Japanese: セコム株式会社, Sekomu kabushikigaisha) is a Japanese security company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. It has operations in Japan, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Myanmar.
The company was founded in 1962 and operated under the name Nippon Keibi Hosho until 1983. It initially offered security services such as patrolling services and static guard services.
In 1966, the company developed Japan’s first on-line security system. In 1983, Nippon Keibi Hosho adapted the name Secom, which was originally used only as a brand name of the company. The Secom name "was coined as a contraction of 'security' and 'communication', the concept of this brand was to build 'a new security system collaborating people and science'”.
- ^ "Lock 'em up. (Secom is benefitting from Japan's growing security systems industry)". The Economist. 27 July 1991. Archived from the original on 22 June 2018. Retrieved 22 June 2018 – via Highbeam.
- ^ Lewis, Leo (1 January 2004). "Selling safety gets serious: security giant Secom soars on a mix of media hype and menace". Japan Inc. Archived from the original on 22 June 2018. Retrieved 22 June 2018 – via Highbeam.
- ^ "What we do".
- ^ Ishikawa, Akira; Nejo, Tai (1999). Top Global Companies in Japan. World Scientific. p. 100. ISBN 981238684X.
- ^ a b "Origin of the Secom brand and company name". Secom. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- Official website (in English)
- Official website (in Japanese)
- "Security drone chases trespassers all on its own". Engadget. 13 December 2015.
- TOPIX 100
- Business services companies established in 1962
- Multinational companies headquartered in Japan
- Companies based in Tokyo
- Companies listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Companies listed on the Osaka Exchange
- Security companies of Japan
- Security companies of Singapore
- Security companies of the United Kingdom
- Fire detection and alarm companies
- Robotics companies of Japan
- Robotics in Japan
- Japanese brands
- Service company stubs
- Japanese company stubs