Lewisham West and Penge (UK Parliament constituency)
|Lewisham West and Penge|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Lewisham West and Penge in Greater London.
|Electorate||69,399 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Jim Dowd (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Lewisham West
|European Parliament constituency||London|
Following the adoption of the relevant part of the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies this constituency was born for 2010 uniting electoral wards for the national elected chamber's elections, General elections, from the London Boroughs of Bromley and Lewisham. The greater electorate and area of the constituency is in the London Borough of Lewisham.
- Political history
At the 2010 general election a strong Liberal Democrat challenge edged the Conservative candidate narrowly into third. The 2015 Liberal Democrat candidate moved into fifth position on results night. The 2015 result made the seat the 106th safest of Labour's 232 seats by percentage of majority.
The seat comprises the South-Western portion of Lewisham borough with the northwestern tip of Bromley borough. At the heart of the seat is Forest Hill, bisected by the route of the South Circular Road. Its ambit also includes some of the Crystal Palace hill (the park and site of the palace itself is on the intersection of five boroughs) and the nearby areas of Anerley, Penge and Sydenham. The Guardian however positively summarised it in 2010 as "suburban south-east London, with a large Afro-Caribbean population."
To create the new constituency the Boundary Commission for England transferred Perry Vale ward, Bellingham ward, Forest Hill ward, and Sydenham ward from the former Lewisham West constituency. Clock House ward, Crystal Palace ward, and Penge and Cator ward were transferred from Beckenham constituency.
Members of Parliament
|Liberal Democrat||Alex Feakes||3,709||7.7||-20.4|
|Liberty GB||Dr George Whale||84||0.1||N/A|
|Labour||Jim Dowd[n 2]||18,501||41.1||−5.2[n 3]|
|Liberal Democrat||Alex Feakes||12,673||28.1||+1.0|
|Christian Peoples||Stephen Hammond||317||0.7||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- General Election Results from the Electoral Commission
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- Profile of SE19
see also: SE postcode area
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=24&RPID=38835890 26Jul15
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - Lewisham West & Penge