Fatal dog attacks in the United States
At least 4.5–4.6 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year resulting in the hospitalization of 6,000 to 13,000 people each year in the United States (2005). Dog bites can cause pain, injury, infection, and even death. About 1 in 5 dog bites require medical attention. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 20 to 30 of these result in death, but the number of deaths from dog attacks appear to be increasing.
- 1 Published Studies
- 1.1 Studies on Dog Bite Related Fatalities
- 1.2 Studies on Dog Bite Injuries
- 1.3 Study: Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2013: 2000–2009
- 1.4 Study: Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2009: 1979–2005
- 1.5 Study: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2000: 1979–1998
- 1.6 Study: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1997: 1979–1994
- 1.7 Study: University of Texas Study 1982: 1966–1980
- 2 Media reports of fatal dog attacks in the United States
- 2.1 Fatalities reported before 2000
- 2.2 Fatalities reported between 2000 and 2009
- 2.3 Fatalities reported in 2010
- 2.4 Fatalities reported in 2011
- 2.5 Fatalities reported in 2012
- 2.6 Fatalities reported in 2013
- 2.7 Fatalities reported in 2014
- 2.8 Fatalities reported in 2015
- 2.9 Fatalities reported in 2016
- 2.10 Fatalities reported in 2017
- 2.11 Fatalities reported in 2018
- 2.12 Fatalities reported in 2019
- 3 See also
- 4 References
Scientists, scholars, medical personnel, veterinarians, and lawmakers have been documenting the societal problem of fatal (and non-fatal) dog attacks for several decades in an effort to identify causes and come up with solutions. Below are the results of some of their efforts to identify sources of the problem and offer solutions. Both fatal and non-fatal (injury) studies are important because "although the fatality data are concerning, one must broaden the context to consider both fatal and nonfatal bites when deciding on a course of action. Nonfatal dog bites continue to be a public health problem in the United States."
Studies on Dog Bite Related Fatalities
- Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998 (2000) 
- Purpose: To summarize breeds associated with dog bite related fatalities during a 20-year period and assess policy implications.
- Regulate individual dogs and owners on the basis of their behavior
- Enact stringent animal control laws and increase enforcement
- Enact dangerous dog laws that place primary responsibility for a dog’s behavior on the owner
- Target chronically irresponsible dog owners
- Encourage offenders to seek professional help in training and socializing their pets
- Enforce leash laws
- Enforce laws against dog fighting
- Evaluate the effects of regulations that limit fences to heights insufficient for controlling large dogs
- Educate owners with respect to selection of breed, decisions to neuter/spay their dogs, and importance of socializing dogs
- Add education in schools and adult-education programs about bite prevention and canine care
- Improve surveillance and reporting for fatal and nonfatal dog bites
- Collect data on the entire dog population for comparison/percentage purposes
- Maintain adequate funding for animal control agencies, enforcement of existing animal control laws, and educational and policy
- strategies to reduce inappropriate dog and owner behaviors
- Co-occurrence of potentially preventable factors in 256 dog bite-related fatalities in the United States (2000-2009) (2013) 
- Purpose: Examine factors in human dog bite related fatalities
- Use a multifactorial approach instead of single-factor solutions such as breed specific legislation, for dog bite prevention
- Adequately fund and promote animal services programs that insist on responsible ownership
- Disseminate information about dog behavior and bite prevention to audiences beyond animal care professionals
- Maintain dogs in ways where humans regularly interact with them
- Children under 6 years of age should not be left unattended with a dog
- Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996 (1997) 
- Encourage dog owners to properly select, socialize, train, care, and treat their dogs
- Encourage neuter/spay
- Supervise children around dogs
- Support animal control
- Establish and enforce of laws regulating dangerous and vicious dogs
- Target chronically irresponsible dog owners
- Require (by law) reporting for dog bites
- Dog Bite-Related Fatalities From 1979 Through 1988 (1989) 
- Purpose: Estimate mortality from dog bites over 10-year period and identify breeds of dogs responsible.
- Owners should effectively restrain their dogs from straying
- Infants shouldn't be left alone with a dog
- Have strong animal control laws
- Public education regarding dog bites
- Encourage more responsible dog ownership
- Fatal dog attacks, 1989-1994 (1996) 
- Purpose: To update data on fatal dog bites and see if past trends have continued.
- Patient education by health care professionals
- Educational efforts directed towards high-risk groups, particularly children
- School-based education programs on bite prevention, canine behavior, and educational programs regarding responsible dog ownership and training
- Support animal control
- Laws for regulating dangerous or vicious dogs
- More stringent animal control laws and enforcement
- Address chronically irresponsible dog owners
- Improved bite reporting, including details
- Human Deaths Induced by Dog Bites, United States, 1974-75 (1977)
- Conclusion: The problem of fatalities by dog is of greater magnitude than has generally been recognized.
- Maintain surveillance of fatal attacks
- Conduct more detailed investigations at each case
- Behavioral scientists should get interested in this subject
- Small children and physically incapacitated persons are at risk if left alone with dogs, especially larger ones
- Avoid dogs with threatening behavior
- Human Fatalities Resulting From Dog Attacks in the United States 1979-2005 (2009)
- Conclusion: The rate of deaths from dog attacks appears to be increasing.
- Establishment of a national mandatory reporting system on animal attacks
- Such reporting system for dog bites should capture circumstances and factors surrounding each attack
- Effective prevention practices is dependent on examination of these factors
- Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs (2011) 
- This Texas study covered 15 years (1994–2009) from a trauma and emergency surgery center.
- Dog bites are the second most costly public health problem in the United States.
- Dog bites are a serious public health concern in the United States and across the world, causing substantial emotional and physical trauma and substantial economic cost to the victims and society.
- There is a distinct relationship between the severity and lethality of an attack and the breed of dog responsible (specifically pit bulls) which must be addressed.
- "Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the US mortality rates related to dog bites."
- Pit bull breeds should be regulated in the same way in which other dangerous species, such as leopards, are regulated.
- Individual municipalities need the power to enact ordinances that can protect their citizens from this risk.
- Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States (1982) 
- Most attacks were by single pet dogs without a preceding history of viciousness and without known provocation by the victim.
- The high incidence of infant fatalities (1/3rd) was unexpected because such victims are too immature to threaten or provoke a dog to attack.
- Adults shouldn't leave infants unattended with dogs.
- More detailed studies by epidemiologists and dog behaviorists are needed to properly define the problem and its possible solutions.
- U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors Over a 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017) (2018) 
- Purpose: Publishing of statistics and analysis of dog bite related fatalities in 13 year period by breed, victim age and gender, and other factors.
Studies on Dog Bite Injuries
Evaluating information from studies of non-fatal injuries caused by dogs can lead to an understanding of how to handle the problems resulting in dog bite related fatalities.
- Abstract: A Review of Dog Bites in the United States from 1958 to 2016: Systematic Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature (2017) 
- "To our knowledge, this is ... the first report evaluating breed specific legislation in the United States. Our data suggest that breed specific legislation may be effective in reducing the incidence of dog bites attributed to breeds that are regulated. Significant effort has been devoted to determining how best to minimize dog bites severe enough to require medical attention."
- An Algorithmic Approach to Operative Management of Complex Pediatric Dog Bites: 3-Year Review of a Level I Regional Referral Pediatric Trauma Hospital (2017) 
- "We evaluated the effectiveness of breed specific legislation in Denver, CO, the largest jurisdiction in the United States with a pit bull ban in place. Since 2001, 5.7% of bites in Denver, CO were attributed to Pit Bull type breeds compared to 54.4% in the remainder of the United States. Our data suggest that breed specific legislation may be effective in reducing the incidence of dog bites attributed to breeds that are regulated."
- Analysis of Pediatric Facial Dog Bites (2013) 
- This study was conducted in Denver, Colorado, a jurisdiction where pit bulls have been banned since 1989 (except briefly in 2004).
- "No pit bull terriers were identified as a biting dog in this study, consistent with a ban of pit bulls in Denver County that was passed in 1989."
- "Our study found 11 victims of pit bull bites from 2003 to 2008, including the patient who suffered the most extensive injuries and the longest hospitalization of our entire population, indicating that despite legislation, pit bull bites continue to be a public health concern."
- "There is a tremendous financial and psychosocial burden associated with dog bites, and prevention strategies should focus on education with the aid of public policies and better documentation and reporting systems."
- Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution (2016) 
- "This is the first detailed study of dog bite injuries in Georgia and one of the largest studies conducted at a pediatric trauma center. Our study revealed that whereas more than half of all injuries necessitate repair, only approximately 5% require operative intervention. The data also suggest that younger children (<5 years old) than previously reported, and particularly infants, are at high risk for the most severe injuries. The study corroborates the largely negative interactions between pit bulls and children of any age. Parental education and supervision may be the most important measure to prevent severe dog bite injuries."
- "Infants were more than 4 times as likely to be bitten by the family dog and more than 6 times as likely to be bitten in the head/neck region. Children <=5 years old were 62% more likely to require repair; and 5.5% of all patients required an operation. Pit bull bites were implicated in half of all surgeries performed and over 2.5 times as likely to bite in multiple anatomic locations as compared to other breeds."
- Characteristics of Dog Bites in Arkansas (2018) 
- "Our study represents the first detailed study of dog bites conducted within Arkansas. Approximately 5 years of data were collected from our state’s only Level I trauma centers: ACH and UAMS. Across both institutions, our study revealed that 36% of cases needed repair, yet only 6.7% required operative intervention. Lacking some concordance with much of the previous literature, our study supports the notion that younger children (younger than 5 years) are at greater risk for more severe injuries. Moreover, those younger than 5 years were >8 times as likely to require operative repair, >4 times as likely to be bitten on the head and neck, and >3 times as likely to be bitten by a family dog. In addition, our study revealed that male children are more likely to be bitten, which is consistent with the literature. Uniquely, however, our data suggested that adult females were more often seen for dog bites. Our study corroborates much of the previous literature, supporting the notion that pit bull bites are severe enough to require operative intervention more frequently than the bites of other dog breeds."
- Contemporary Update on the Treatment of Dog Bite: Injuries to the Oral and Maxillofacial Region (2015) 
- "Breed-specific mauling has been difficult to establish and a continued point of controversy owing to the lack of a mandatory official registry database."
- "Dog bites to the face are significant disfiguring and debilitating injuries frequently encountered by OMSs. The financial cost to the patient and society account for millions of dollars paid annually in insurance claims. The physical and emotional trauma can result in long-term therapy for many of the victims, especially children, consisting of multiple surgical revisions and psychological counseling."
- "Restrictions should be considered for those breeds of dogs commonly associated with dog bite attacks. The pit bull was the most frequently noted breed in our retrospective study, consistent with the current published data."
- Dog bite injuries to the face: Is there risk with breed ownership? A systematic review with meta-analysis (2019) 
- This study has several charts showing bite risk and bite severity by breed, created to provide a "risk to own" graphic for potential dog owners.
- "Dog bite injuries to the head and neck remain a significant public health problem. While there is a significant range in severity from superficial and unreported wounds to fatal injuries, we have analyzed bites from patients requiring consultation by a facial trauma and reconstructive surgery service. We conclude that bite frequency and severity can be attributed to certain breeds."
- Dog Bites in the United States from 1971 to 2018: A Systematic Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature (2019) 
- This study covers almost 50 years.
- "We remain in the infancy of understanding how dogs, especially those bred to fight, adapt to domestic situations. As a result of this review, it remains imperative to report as accurately as possible the experience of the patients we are treating with these injuries in an effort to continue to better characterize who is at risk and from what animals."
- Recommendations: Encourage victims and families to report dog bite incidents; Practitioners should document as much information as possible; Provide victims and families with educational resources; Establish a national database or registry for citizenry to report dog bite incidents (even anonymously); Transparency amongst advocates in their literature; Evaluate scientifically the decades-long bans of Denver and Miami to better understand their effects
- Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment (2015) 
- "Dog bites are a significant public health concern, and may account for 40% of all pediatric traumas."
- "The patients most likely to suffer dog bite injuries of the head and neck are children."
- "Among the dog breeds responsible for these head and neck injuries, one third involved pit bull terriers, whose resulting injuries were more severe, had nearly twice the requirement for specialty consultation, and had higher rate of surgical exploration and repair."
- Dogs and Orthopaedic Injuries: Is There a Correlation With Breed? (2018) 
- This Fresno, California study compared injuries caused by bites from pit bulls, from non-pit bulls, and from law enforcement K-9s. The study details differences between pit bull and K-9 injuries such as amputations, bony injuries, significant injuries, soft tissue injuries, number of surgical procedures required. In each category, the pit bull group caused more injuries. "Pit bull terrier bites accounted for a significantly higher number of orthopaedic injuries and represented more severe bites (fractures and amputation) than other breeds."
- Emergency Department Visits and Inpatient Stays Involving Dog Bites, 2008 (2010) 
- This study of data from 1993-2008 tabulates from all angles (age of patient, region, cost of hospital stay, diagnoses and procedures, etc.). "The overall trend through this 16-year time period shows an 86.3 percent increase in dog bite-related hospital stays."
- "In 2008, there were 316,200 ED (Emergency Department) visits and 9,500 hospital stays related to dog bites. This represents a rate of 103.9 ED visits and 3.1 hospital stays per 100,000 population. On average, every day there were 866 ED visits and 26 hospitalizations related to dog bites."
- "More than half (57.9 percent) of dog bite-related hospitalizations involved a surgical procedure. The most frequent procedure was debridement of wound. Other procedures included suture of skin and subcutaneous tissue, incision and drainage of skin and subcutaneous tissue, and skin grafts."
- Epidemiology of Animal Bites in the Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Area, 1994-1998 (1999) 
- This Dallas/Fort Worth area study was a graduate thesis based off answered questionnaires by ten area animal control facilities, querying about bites during a four year period of 1994-1998. It didn't provide much in the way of recommendations beyond the need for continued documentation of bites.
- Incidence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments (1998) 
- "Dog bite injuries are an important source of injury in the US population, especially among children. Improved surveillance and prevention of dog bite-related injuries, particularly among children, are needed." "Incidence rates were significantly higher among children aged 0 to 9 years." "Over half the dog bite injuries (58.0%) were reported to have occurred at a home."
- Pediatric Dog Bite Injuries in Central Texas, Journal of Pediatric Surgery (2018) 
- "Dog bite injuries result in notable morbidity to the pediatric population and are a public health concern. Children are more likely to sustain injury to the head and neck region owing to their stature. Pet familiarity should not be considered a fail-safe against dog bite injuries. Medium to large-sized dog breeds, particularly pit bulls, can cause significant injury to the head and neck region, necessitating medical care at a specialized center, and should not be under the responsibility of amateur or irresponsible owners."
- "Prevention efforts should focus on dog training, public education (children and adults), vigilant adult supervision, and a zero-tolerance policy."
- Pit Bull attack causing limb threatening vascular trauma — A case series (2017) 
- This is a case study of two severe injuries from pit bull attacks to the upper arm, affecting the main arteries and veins. "Attacks by Pit Bull Terriers are more likely to cause severe morbidity than other breeds ofdogs. Immediate surgical exploration is required to prevent catastrophic outcomes." "The upper limb is one of the commonest anatomical areas of injury and patients who present with injury to the axillary-brachial artery and vein risk limb threat or death from exsanguination as well." Recommendations include regulation of pit bulls and similar dogs, stronger animal control laws, public education, and responsible dog ownership.
Study: Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2013: 2000–2009
The most recent study of the epidemiology of fatal dog bites in the United States was published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) in 2013. While earlier studies were based on television and newspaper reports, this was the first study to be based on law-enforcement reports, animal control reports, and investigator statements. It identified preventable factors in the fatal incidents. They found that the most common contributing factors were: absence of an able-bodied person to intervene, no familiar relationship of victims with dogs, owner failure to neuter dogs, compromised ability of victims to interact appropriately with dogs (e.g. mental disabilities), dogs kept isolated from regular positive human interactions versus family dogs (e.g. dogs kept chained in backyards), owners' prior mismanagement of dogs, and owners' history of abuse or neglect of dogs. Furthermore, they found that in 80% of the incidents, 4 or more of the above factors co-occurred.
The authors found that in a significant number of DBRFs there was either a conflict between different media sources reporting breed and/or a conflict between media and animal control reports relative to the reporting of breed. For 401 dogs described in various media accounts of DBRFs, media sources reported conflicting breed attributions for 124 of the dogs (30.9%); and where there were media reports and an animal control report (346 dogs), there were conflicting breed attributions for 139 dogs (40.2%)
According to this study, reliable verification of the breed of dog was only possible in 18% of incidents.
Study: Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2009: 1979–2005
This 27-year study collected data from the CDC Wide-Ranging OnLine Data for Epidemiologic Research (CDC WONDER) program. It looked at cases in which the cause of death according to International Classification of Diseases (ICD) codes was dog bites. It did not include fatalities secondary to an infection from a bite. During those 27 years, 504 deaths due to dog bites were reported (an average of 18.67 per year). Six states (Texas, California, Florida, Illinois, Georgia and North Carolina) accounted for 37% of the reported cases (but they also compose 36% of the US population). The number of deaths per capita were highest in Alaska (11.83 deaths per 10 million inhabitants); the rest of the states ranged from 0 to 2.56 deaths per 10 million population. Most fatal dog bites occur in young children and the elderly. Elderly victims have a higher in-hospital fatality rate after the trauma compared to younger victims.
This study found that deaths from dog attacks appear to be increasing as the population of both humans and dogs have increased during this period. Children have the greatest risk of death: the majority of victims (55.6%) were less than 10 years old. The highest number of death occurred in children between 1 and 4 years old. Most victims were male (58.1%) - which is consistent with other studies that concluded that dog-related injuries and deaths occur more often in boys. The theory that the scientists propose is that this may be due to the fact that boys have a higher injury rate than girls in many activities.
Regarding the race of the victim, 81.3% were white (M: 46.8%, F: 34,5%), 14.3% were black (M: 8.5%, F: 5.7%) and 4.4% were listed as "other". It should be noted that 14.3% of victims is black while only 3% of all dog owners is black. The present study did not have an explanation for this. It was not known if the victim was the owner of the dog(s) that attacked, nor did they specify the breeds of dogs that attacked. They did note that an earlier study indicated that living in a low-income neighbourhood was a risk factor for dog bites.
The most important conclusion of this study was that the incidence of dog-related injuries and deaths appear to have increased along with the increase of the dog and human population in the United States. They advise a mandatory national registration system on all animal attacks with detailed information about the attack (whether the dog was provoked, the breed of the dog, whether the dog was neutered or not, etc). That would give insight in the factors that lead to these dog attacks.
Study: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2000: 1979–1998
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published a study in 2000 on dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) that covered the years 1979–1998. The report concluded that relying on media coverage of dog-bite-related fatalities presents a biased view of the dogs involved. They stated that media reports are likely to only cover about 74% of the actual incidents and that dog attacks involving certain breeds may be more likely to receive media coverage. They also reported that since breed identification is difficult and subjective, attacks may be more likely to be "ascribed to breeds with a reputation for aggression".
The study found reports of 327 people killed by dogs over the 20-year period. Some breed information was available for 238 (73%) of the fatalities. Of 227 incidents with relevant data, 133 (58%) were unrestrained dogs and on the owners' property; 55 (24%) were loose off the owners' property; 38 (17%) were restrained dogs on their owners' property; and only one (less than 1%) was restrained off the owners' property.
The study defined dog attacks as "a human death caused by trauma from a dog bite". Excluded from the study were deaths by disease caused by dog bites, strangulation on a scarf or leash pulled by a dog, heart attacks or traffic accident, and falling injury or fire ant bites from being pushed down by a dog. The study also excluded four deaths by trauma from dog bites by police dogs or guard dogs employed by the government.
Working dogs, however, were also frequently implicated, mostly German Shepherds and Doberman Pinschers, but there were also several herders, including Australian shepherds and Collies, and one identified only as a "sheepdog".
Spitz and Primitive dogs comprised a substantial minority, including multiple Chow Chows; native Japanese dogs (mostly Akita Inus); and sled dogs types: Huskies, Malamutes and others. One incident involved a Basenji.
Wolfdogs killed 14 people during the study period, and dogs identified only as "mixed-breeds" or "unknown" killed 15. Deaths from wolfdogs, also known as wolf hybrids, plummeted after most states banned them as pets.
There were also a comparatively small number of fatal hound attacks (including a Coonhound and two Dachshunds) and terrier attacks (including two of the smallest ratters: a West Highland White Terrier and a Yorkshire Terrier, which is among the smallest of all dogs). The study also mentioned one fatal attack by a cocker spaniel.
Study: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1997: 1979–1994
The first epidemiological study of dog-bite fatalities in the United States was conducted by an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 1977. From 1979 through 1994, attacks by dogs resulted in 279 deaths of humans in the United States.
Study: University of Texas Study 1982: 1966–1980
A study conducted at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School identified 74 fatal dog bites during the period 1966–1980 from news media and medical literature.
Most fatalities were young children, including 23 infants under 1 year old. In most cases, the dog was owned by the victim's family. In only 3 of the incidents was the dog reported to have been provoked by kicking, hitting, or having stones thrown at it. However, several incidents involved a child attempting to pet or hug the dog.
In 5 of the incidents, there was no information available about the kind of dogs involved. In 10 fatal attacks, the dogs were only described as "mixed-breed".
There were multiple retriever attacks, including 3 Golden Retrievers and a Labrador, and 2 attacks by very small breeds: one Dachshund, and 1 Yorkshire Terrier, which is among the smallest of all dogs.
When comparing number of deaths by each particular breed to the number of registrations of that breed, the authors wrote: "In relation to its small registration  the bullterrier (pit bull) was responsible for the highest number of deaths , but the popularity of this breed may be increasing and, therefore, its population might not be reflected by its registration."
Media reports of fatal dog attacks in the United States
This is a list of fatal dog attacks in the United States reported by the news media, scholarly papers, and other sources. In the list below, the attribution of breed is assigned by the sources.
Fatalities reported before 2000
Fatalities reported between 2000 and 2009
Fatalities reported in 2010
|Date||Category of Dog||Victim's name||Victim's age||Circumstances|
|January 9||pit bull||Omar Martinez||3 years||The father, boy, and their dog were together in their Apple Valley, CA backyard, but the father stepped inside, leaving the dog alone with the boy, and the dog attacked. The aggressive dog kept EMTs away until police arrived and shot it to death. The boy was unresponsive and was taken to the hospital where he was declared dead two hours later.|
|January 17||pit bull (6)||Johnny Wilson||56 years||Killed by his daughter's six dogs Police said the dogs were pit bulls, while the animal care and control commissioner said they were mixed-breed dogs.|
|February 8||Rottweiler||Carolyn Baker||63 years||The woman died of a heart attack when she went outside to get her dog. Media reported that the woman was killed by her pet dog and was found in her driveway with numerous bite wounds. Although the woman's family said they did not believe the dog was responsible for the death, the dog was euthanized after a pathologist determined that severe dog bites contributed to her death. The county coroner stated that the bites appeared to have been from the dog's attempt to drag her to safety after she collapsed.|
|February 12||pit bull(s)||Anastasia Bingham||6 years||Killed while walking to a friend's home. Investigators unable to locate dog(s) involved. Sheriff's deputies initially reported that a pit bull dog was responsible. Authorities were never able to find or identify any dog responsible for the attack. The dogs that were first thought to be responsible were found not to be involved. However, investigators "received confidential tips that stated that there were three other pit bulls, owned by the child's relatives, that were killed and dumped in a wooded area." Deputies also received reports of dog fighting in the area.|
|February 18||Siberian Husky||Robert D. Hocker||11 days||The boy was alone on a bed when the family's dog bit him, the 71 Lb dog was later put to sleep.|
|February 19||Redbone Coonhound||Kenneth Bock||57 years||The dog, which had a history of biting people, was roaming freely and bit Mr.Bock at a storage facility where the man was a manager. Mr.Bock died of Capnocytophaga canimorsus sepsis from the bite several days later.|
|February 20||pit bull||Christine Staab||38 years||While Christine Staab was fighting with her mother, she was killed by one of her mother's six dogs. The family stated that the dog was protecting the mother. The dog was killed by Philadelphia police officers.|
|February 20||American Bulldog||Violet Serenity Haaker||3 years||Killed when she became entangled in the chain restraining one of the dogs at the family's American-Bulldog breeding facility, the attacking dog along with 3 others were later put to sleep. It was originally reported that a pit bull was responsible.|
|February 23||pit bull||"Baby Doe" Garrett||5 days||Severely injured by her family's dog on February 18, she died of her injuries on February 23|
|February 28||Rottweiler||Ashlynn Anderson||4 years||Killed by a 2 1⁄2-year-old female dog owned by her stepfather, (Ax Men star Jesse Browning), the dog along with a male Rottweiler were put down.|
|March 4||pit bull||Ethel Horton||65 years||Killed by her nephew's dog while trying to defend her 71-year-old husband from it. She died of heart failure caused by the dog attack.|
|March 8||Rottweiler (2)||Justin Lopez||9 months||Killed by his family's two newly acquired dogs. Dogs were obtained the day before and later put to sleep.|
|April 14||pit bull mix||Thomas Carter, Jr.||7 days||Killed while in bed next to his mother who slept through the attack. After the attack the dog went outside and attacked another pit bull that was on a chain.|
|May 20||Sled dog (6)||Krystal Brink||3 years||Killed by at least one sled dog when she wandered into her neighbor's sled dog yard, her uncle's brother later shot all 6 sled dogs to death via shotgun|
|May 25||Rottweiler||Hao Yun "Eddie" Lin||33 years||The man was a USPS letter carrier. The dog was in a house, but pushed open a door, ran after Lin, and caused his head to strike the ground. He died nine days later. Authorities did not say if the attack included bites. The dog was put down.|
|May 28||pit bull||Nathan Aguirre||2 years||Victim was killed by his family's dog in their backyard. The father had gone inside for a moment and when the mother checked on the boy, the dog had ahold of him.|
|June 3||pit bull||Savannah Gragg||9 years||Killed in her home while opening the door to let the dog outside|
|June 15||Bullmastiff mix (5)
||Michael Winters||30 years||Killed by his nine dogs. Unknown which dogs/breeds participated in the attack. (5 Bullmastiff, 3 pit bull–Boxer mix, 1 Rottweiler mix), 2 were killed by police officers, others were put to sleep.|
|July 12||German Shepherd-Husky mix||Kyle Holland||5 years||Killed by at least one dog owned by his mother's live-in boyfriend. The boyfriend pleaded guilty to a charge of dangerous animal death and the mother pleaded guilty to child abuse and manslaughter. The mother was also charged with "accessory after the fact" because she tried to dispose of her boyfriend's marijuana plants before calling 911.|
|July 20||pit bull (2)||William Parker||71 years||While walking in his neighborhood, victim was attacked by two of his neighbor's dogs, the neighbor was charged with Reckless Homicide and four counts of Felony Reckless Endangerment. The dogs had attacked another neighbor 2 days earlier. The dogs were euthanized. The person caring for the dogs while their owner was in jail during the time of the attack, pled guilty to manslaughter. The victim's daughter won a $2.5M lawsuit against the apartment complex owners who allowed dangerous dogs to reside there.|
|July 22||pit bull (3)||Jacob Bisbee||2 years||Killed by three of his step-grandfather's dogs. Grandfather arrested for manslaughter. The dogs had decapitated the family's pet Akita and killed the family's pet Chihuahua and parrot within the prior year. The dogs, which were kept in a garage, had previously shown aggression toward the boy, they were all put down.|
|July 31||German Shepherd mix||Aaron Carlson||2 years||Killed by his family's dog which was later put down, the mother was later arrested for five felony counts of cruelty to a child with possible injury or death.|
|August 19||Unknown dog(s)||Tracey Payne||46 years||Killed by a dog(s) in vacant home.|
|August 22||pit bull (2)||Jerry Yates||69 years||Killed by 2 dogs a tenant was keeping on his land.|
|August 25||pit bull (3) and "mixed-breed Shepard"||Jason Walter||7 years||Killed by a neighbor's three pit bulls and a mixed-breed dog while staying at the neighbor's residence. All four dogs were euthanized.|
|August 25||Boxer||Taylor Becker||4 years||Killed by a dog owned by a family friend.|
|September 4||pit bull||Mattie Daugherty||85 years||Killed by her daughter's 9-year-old dog.|
|October 13||pit bull (17)||Rev. John Reynolds Sr.||84 years||Found dead with severe bite wounds in a pen containing pit bull dogs.|
|October 24||pit bull||Justin Valentin||4 days||Killed by his family's dog, the dog was later put to sleep at owners' request|
|November 2||pit bull–Weimaraner mix (2)||Christina Casey||53 years||Killed in her own yard by her neighbor's two dogs|
|November 10||pit bull mix||Kaden Muckleroy||2 years||Killed by his grandfather's dog, which was chained to a tree.|
|November 15||Mixed-breed dog (5)||Cason Bryant||5 years||Killed in his own yard by five out of 12 of his neighbor's dogs, all 12 dogs were put down.|
|November 15||German Shepherd||Shirley Lou Bird||79 years||Killed by her own dog, which had bitten her on prior occasions.|
|November 16||pit bull||Justin Lane||25 years||Killed by his family's dog|
|December 5||pit bull||Edward Mitchell||67 years||Edward Mitchell was bitten while disciplining the dog, which belonged to his nephew. The dog was put down at the nephew's request. He died two months later from complications of his injuries.|
|December 8||Pack of reservation dogs||Larry Armstrong||55 years||Found on the side of the road, unconscious, with a pack of underweight stray dogs still attacking him, up to 445,000 of which roam the Navajo Nation. Several of the stray dogs were rounded up and euthanized to test for rabies.|
|December 19||Rottweiler or Rottweiler mix||Janet Vaughan||3 months||While the child's mother bathed one dog, the child was killed by one of the nine dogs that the family kept in the back yard.|
Fatalities reported in 2011
|Date||Category of Dog||Victim's name||Victim's age||Circumstances|
|January 4||pit bull mix||Linda Leal||51 years||Leal was found dead in her own yard with bite wounds to the throat and head, and her pit bull mix "Toby" had her blood on it. Toby and a second pit bull, which had a history of violent behavior and was kept in a pen, were removed from the property and Toby was euthanized with the permission of Leal's husband, Enrique. He said the pit bull mix had always been friendly with Leal, and they'd never had any problems with it. Leal was fighting liver cancer at the time of her death.|
|January 12||pit bull (2)||Makayla Woodard||5 years||Makayla was killed by her neighbor's two loose pit bulls, one named "Rebel", as she played in the snow in her own yard. They bit her all over her body and inflicted a fatal bite wound to her throat. Her great-grandmother tried to stop the attack and was severely injured by the pit bulls. One pit bull (Rebel) was shot by police at the scene, the other was shot later that day as it ran loose. The neighbor, Michael Brandon Gordon (23) initially pled not guilty, but changed his plea during jury selection; police had visited his house prior to the attack to warn him about his pit bulls' dangerous behavior while running loose. He pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 20 to 24 months in prison. Gordon's homeowner's insurance paid out a $20,000 wrongful death settlement for Makayla's killing.|
|January 24||Akita||Kristen Dutton||9 years||Kristen was killed while playing in her grandfather's yard with the family's new dog, an adult Akita which had been bought by the grandfather 3 weeks earlier as a pet for his grandchildren. The dog, which had shown no aggression previously, bit her repeatedly in the neck, severing her carotid artery; she bled to death in the yard before EMS could arrive. Her brother found her dying in the yard. The 98lb adult Akita had been purchased only 3 weeks earlier as a pet for the children.|
|January 26||pit bull (3)||Ronnie Waldo||51 years||Killed by landlord's three dogs while crossing the yard from a trailer home to landlord's home. Evidence showed the dogs appeared not to have eaten or been watered for a long time; the owner was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 20 years in prison (15 years suspended).|
|January 26||Stray dogs||Howard James Paul||76 years||The victim was a homeless man found dead in a vacant lot. The medical examiner determined he bled to death after being attacked by stray dogs.|
|February 17||Rottweiler (2)||Sirlinda Hayes||66 years||Killed by her neighbor's two dogs in her own backyard. The dogs also attacked their owner when he tried to come to her aid.|
|February 19||pit bull||Darius Tillman||15 days||Killed by family's dog.|
|March 6||pit bull mix||Jennie Erquiaga||47 years||San Bernardino, California - Victim was attacked by her own dog in her home. Others in the house fought with the dog to stop it.|
|March 7||Rottweiler (2)||Vanessa Husmann||3 years||Killed by uncle's two dogs in his backyard.|
|April 12||Rottweiler||Annabelle Mitchell||7 months||Killed by the family's dog when left unattended while child's mother was intoxicated. The girl's mother was subsequently convicted of endangering the welfare of a child.|
|April 22||pit bull||Virgil Cantell||50 years||Killed by a dog that was chained to the front porch of a neighbor's house. The dog had bitten other neighbors in the month preceding the attack.|
|April 24||pit bull mix (4)||Margaret Salcedo||48 years||Killed by four dogs when she was out walking alone in her neighborhood. A passerby tried to help but the dogs drove him back into his car.|
|May 27||Cane Corso||Jayelin Graham||4 years||Killed by dog belonging to mother's boyfriend. News outlets initially reported that the dog involved was a pit bull.|
|May 29||Dutch Shepherd Police Dog||Jesse Porter||89 years||While at home, the man was bitten and dragged by a police dog that was searching for an unrelated suspect. This led to the amputation of his leg and then death on July 27, 2011.|
|June 11||pit bull||David Haigler||38 years||Victim found dead at his home by his 18-yr old son. It was determined he was killed by one of his two dogs; the other, also an adult pit bull, was chained elsewhere inside the home. Both dogs were taken to the county animal shelter.|
|June 15||pit bull (2)||Roy McSweeney||74 years||Mauled by a neighbors' two pit bulls while he was doing yard work in his own yard. The dogs amputated one arm and seriously injured the other arm and his face. He died a few days later. The dogs, who had two known prior attacks on adults, were euthanized. The dogs' owner pled guilty to four charges and was sentenced to 90 days in jail, community service, some victim restitution, and is prohibited from owning any dogs.|
|June 29||American Bulldog mix or pit bull mix||Salvador Cotto||6 months||Chesterfield, Virginia - While visiting his aunt and uncle, the boy was briefly left alone in a room with their dog and was bitten. The medical examiner determined that the boy died of cerebral edema as a consequence of a single bite to the head, and ruled that the death was accidental. In the media, the dog was variously called an American bulldog mix, a Dogo Argentino (ruled out), and an American terrier and pitbull mix. The dog was euthanized.|
|July 3||American Bulldog||Michael Naglee||11 months||Killed by the dog of his paternal grandparents at a family gathering.|
|August 11||pit bull||Darla Napora||32 Years||Killed by one of her family's two pit bulls.|
|August 12||Rottweiler||James Dowling||4 years||Killed by his grandfather's dog when it escaped its enclosure.|
|August 23||pit bull mix||Michael Cook||61 years||His own dog inflicted injuries on August 3 that required the amputation of both arms; he succumbed to his injuries on August 23.|
|August 30||Unknown (4)||Addyson Paige Camerino||9 days||The child was killed in the kitchen of the family's home. There were five dogs in the home, a pit bull, bulldog, Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd, and German Shepherd-Bulldog mix. Four of the dogs were involved in the attack, but the news media did not report which ones. The mother and grandfather were both indicted for involuntary manslaughter, but charges were later dismissed after a jury could not reach a unanimous verdict.[dead link]|
|August 30||pit bull||Carmen Ramos||50 years||Killed by her boyfriend's dog. The owner/boyfriend had previously been cited by the PSPCA for animal cruelty.|
|September 4||Labrador Retriever mix or pit bull||Brayden McCollen||Two weeks||Killed by family dog. Some sources reported the dog as a Labrador retriever mix, others as a pit bull.|
|September 16||Doberman Pinscher||Donna Conrad||71 years||Killed by her dog.|
|September 30||pit bull (3)||Nevaeh Bryant||20 Months||Killed by her aunt's three dogs. Her aunt later pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide, receiving a one-year suspended sentence.|
|October 3||pit bull-Mastiff mix||Mya Maeda||11 days||Dragged from her bassinet and killed by the family dog.|
|November 11||pit bull||Edna Dyson||71 years||Severely injured on her property when a neighbor's dogs slipped through a hole in their fence and attacked her. She died of her injuries several days later.|
|December 5||pit bull||Joseph Hines||58 years||Killed by his dog in his home.|
|December 6||American Bulldog or pit bull (2)||Tonia Parks||39 years||While trying to break up a fight between her two dogs, she suffered a seizure and was attacked on November 13. She succumbed to her injuries on December 6. Some news sources initially described the dogs as Pit bulls and later described the dogs as American Bulldogs.|
|December 8||pit bull||Misti Wyno||40 years||Killed by her neighbor's dog.|
|December 18||pit bull||Mable McCallister||84 years||Severely injured on December 18 by her grandson's dog, the victim spent four days in a trauma center and died in hospice on December 31.|
|December 24||pit bull (2)||Emako Mendoza||75 years||San Diego, California - The victim was attacked by her neighbor's two pit bulls on June 18; and succumbed to her injuries on December 24 after three limb amputations failed to save her. The pit bull owners (a mother and daughter) were convicted on February 13, 2013 of involuntary manslaughter and of owning a dangerous animal causing death; and sentenced to four years in prison. During trial, it was shown the Cornelios knew the dogs were dangerous, having previously attacked another neighbor and his dog, and failed to maintain the fence which had a hole in it. The sentence also ordered restitution to the Mendoza family.|
Fatalities reported in 2012
|Date||Category of Dog||Victim's name||Victim's age||Circumstances|
|January 14||pit bull||Jace Valdez||23 months||Killed by his grandmother's dog.|
|January 30||German Shepherd||Steven Robertson||6 years||Mauled to death by a medical service dog owned by a military veteran suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), the dog and child were left alone together in the back yard.|
|February 16||Husky||Howard Nicholson, Jr.||2 days||Killed by one of the family's four dogs. The victim's mother pleaded guilty to child endangerment.|
|March 4||pit bull||Diane Jansen||59 years||Suffered a stroke when attacked while delivering mail and soon died of stroke with heart disease and dog bite listed as "contributing factors". The dog, which had been resting unchained in a garage with some juveniles, was later seized by animal control and later euthanized. It was reported she suffered the stroke immediately after getting attacked, but also that a witness said there seemed to have been something wrong with her before the bite, which the dog seemed to notice and spurred it to attack. The witness also noted that the dog had a reputation as trustworthy and friendly. The medical examiner said that the wounds were not very bad, but that soon after the frightening attack her speech began to slur, she became unresponsive, and was taken to the hospital where she was declared dead the next day.|
|March 9||Rottweiler||Dylan Andres||17 months||Killed by neighbor's chained dog.|
|March 25||pit bull or pit bull mix||Kylar Johnson||4 years||After wandering half a mile from his home, the boy was killed by a chained dog in fenced yard.|
|April 9||pit bull (2)||James Hurst||92 years||Killed by neighbor's loose roaming dogs.|
|April 20||Golden Retriever – Labrador Retriever mix||Aiden McGrew||2 months||Killed by the family's dog. The death was ruled a homicide and child's father charged with illegal neglect of a child.|
|April 27||Mastiff – Rhodesian Ridgeback mix||Jeremiah Eskew-Shahan||1 year||Killed by the family dog.|
|May 2||pit bull||Clifford Wright||74 years||Victim was found dead in his home, killed by his son's 3-year old dog owned since a 3-week-old pup. The dog was seized and euthanized.|
|May 8||pit bull||Jazilyn Mesa||15 months||Killed by the family dog. The victim's grandfather was charged with negligent child abuse resulting in death.|
|May 12||pit bull (2)||Maryann Hanula||73 years||Surprise, Arizona - Elderly victim was mauled by a neighbor's two dogs on October 10, 2011. The dogs were shot by an off-duty policeman in the neighborhood, but by then most of a foot was gone, she had bites all over, and a dislocated shoulder. Victime died seven months later after 13 surgeries, multiple infections and most of that time in the hospital. The dogs' owner moved away 4–6 weeks after the incident.|
|May 17||pit bull mix||Makayla Darnell||3 days||Lima, Ohio - Infant victim was mauled by the family dog as she sat on a swing at her grandmother's house.|
|May 26||pit bull||Eugene Cameron||65 years||Found dead in his car port with dog bite injuries. The dog was identified via DNA testing and the dog's owner, who was a neighbor, was charged with involuntary manslaughter and obstruction of justice.|
|May 27||Labrador Retriever – German Shepherd mix (2)||Ja'Marr Tiller||2 years||Killed by two stray dogs.|
|June 13||mixed-breed dogs (2)||Jack Redin||2 years||Killed by neighbor's two mixed-breed dogs after wandering onto the neighbor's property. The dogs were confined behind an invisible/underground fence and were owned and housed by two sons of the Third Judicial Circuit Court Judge Timothy. The victim's mother further describes the events of the day.|
|June 14||pit bull||Tyzhel McWilliams||8 months||Killed by a single bite from one of three pit bulls owned by the mother's roommate. Immediately prior to the attack, the dog was on a bed with the mother's roommates who were smoking marijuana. The dog reportedly became "frisky," at which point they pushed it off the bed and it bit the boy. The cause of death was given as "penetrating craniocerebral injuries due to a dogbite."|
|June 27||pit bull||Kevin Latz||50 years||Cold Springs, Nevada - Victim was attacked when he stepped out on the back porch of a house he was visiting, biting victim in the throat and crushing his trachea. The dog had bitten two people before. The dog was euthanized.|
|July 11||Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog or Bullmastiff or pit bull–Bullmastiff mix||Ronnel Brown||40 years||Killed by his own dog when it bit through his IV tube while he was undergoing at-home dialysis. Media reported the dog as several different breeds. The SPCA Cincinnati Officials said that the dog was a "rare breed" Alapaha Blue-Blood Bulldog.|
|August 12||one or more of Presa Canario (2), pit bull (2), Boxer mix||Rebecca Carey||23 years||Victim was found dead by her friend and co-worker when she didn't show up for work. There were five large dogs in the house at the time. All were euthanized.|
|August 16||pit bull||Charles Hagerman||44 years||Killed by at least one of two pit bulls that belonged to his girlfriend's son. Relatives said that Hagerman was scared of the dogs, which were kept in a cage. They also reported that the dogs had previously killed a dog and that they bit people that they did not know.|
|September 1||Cane Corso (2)||Dawn Jurgens||76 years||Trotwood, Ohio - Victim was found dead by her husband in their backyard with the dogs.|
|September 5||Unknown||Bryton Cason||4 years||First name also spelled "Brayton", was playing in his yard when he disappeared. His body was found in the woods, dead of dog attack. Neighbors suspected a roaming bulldog they had seen in the neighborhood, which authorities captured and were trying to determine if this was the dog that killed Bryton.|
|September 7||pit bull (2)||Debra Renee Wilson-Roberts||45 years||Killed by own dogs, which had bitten people on previous occasions, including the owner.|
|September 11||pit bull mix||James Hudson||10 Months||Killed by the family dog. Animal shelter officials identified the dog as a Labrador – American Bulldog mix. The dog's owner and police identified the animal as a "pit bull mix."|
|September 20||Rottweiler (2)||Donald Thomas||82 years||Outside checking his mail when two dogs owned by a neighbor mauled him to death. Police shot and killed the two attacking dogs and subsequently removed more than 30 other Rottweilers from the neighbor's residence.|
|September 24||pit bull mix||Rayden Bruce||3 Months||An hour before the attack, police responded to the home for a domestic dispute between the infant's parents that included injuries. While the police were taking witness statements, the boy was left alone in a room with the dog and was attacked. The dog had been responsible for a "minor bite" in 2011. It had also been picked up by Animal Services in 2010 for running loose.|
|September 26||pit bull||Nellie Davis||60 years||Killed by a family member's dog.|
|October 2||Pit bull (7) ||Mary Jo Hunt||54 years||Killed while using a rake to stop an attack in which the pit bulls killed a pug and injured two terriers. Authorities euthanized the seven attacking dogs.|
|October 4||pit bull||Tarilyn Bowles||3 weeks||Mauled indoors by family dog when left briefly unattended.|
|October 17||German Shepherd||Robert Rochester||55 years||New Castle, Delaware - On Oct 12 the victim, a postal worker, was attacked by a dog that got out of its fence. For 25 minutes, victim was attacked while trying to get any driver in the road to open their door. Finally he got a ride to the hospital. Five days later he died.|
|November 9||Rottweiler||Dixie Jennings||3 months||Killed by her grandmother's dog at a boarding kennel owned by the grandmother. The dog was loose in the kennel area, not caged, and the victim's mother failed to latch a door securely, allowing the dog access to the office where the baby was. The owner took the dog to a vet to be euthanized.|
|November 11||Olde English Bulldogge-American Bulldog mixes (8)||Remedios Romeros-Solares||30 years||Killed by the dogs at a house she was hired to clean. The owners are being investigated for owning 24 marijuana plants found at the home. The owner was breeding the dogs for sale.|
|November 14||Mastiff||Dawn Brown||44 years||Killed by a dog she had obtained less than one week earlier.|
|December 11||pit bull (4)||Esteban Alavez||34 years||Visiting his relatives when killed by their neighbor's dogs. Other neighbors said that the dogs had a violent history and were always roaming loose in the area. A month earlier they had killed a neighbor's dog. However, Animal Control said that they had never received a complaint about the dogs.|
|December 11||Boston Terrier (2)||Elizabeth Louise Hirt||93 years||Bethel Township, Ohio - The elderly victim was mauled by her two dogs on November 27, 2012 and died two weeks later. Her daughter was home with her at the time, but was intoxicated.|
|December 13||pit bull||Savannah Edwards||2 years||Killed while visiting a relative who rented living space from the dog's owner.|
|December 26||Pack of 9 stray dogs (mixed-breeds)||Tomas Henio||8 years||Killed by a pack of stray feral dogs while snowsledding on a hill near his home, the dogs killed four goats weeks before, and were later put to sleep. Charges were later filed by the FBI.|
Fatalities reported in 2013
|Date||Category of dog||Victim's name||Victim's age||Circumstances|
|January 8||pit bull||Betty Ann Chapman Todd||65 years||Emergency Medical Technicians found the victim with dog bites to the neck, head, and face, and could not revive her. Her twelve-year-old granddaughter had attempted to pull the dog off her. According to the owners (the victims son and daughter in law), the victim had visited the house numerous times weekly and the dog had never shown aggressiveness towards her. Later, a local online newspaper reported that the Todds didn't report the dog's previous aggression. However, the Greenwood County Sheriff's Dept stated that the dog's past had been reported the night of the attack by both Mr. & Mrs. Todd. The dog had a history of violence and had killed a Siberian Husky that it lived with. Prior to the attack on Ms Todd, the owners had attempted to reduce the dog's aggression by neutering it.|
|January 19||pit bull||Christian Gormanous||4 years||Climbed over a fence and got too close to the neighbor's tethered dog.|
|February 8||pit bull (2)||Elsie Grace||91 years||Found dead with dog bites in motel room that she shared with her son and the two dogs. Autopsy results to determine if she died before or after being bitten are pending.|
|February 16||pit bull||Isaiah Aguilar||2 years||Killed in a neighbor's yard by a dog tied up in the yard.|
|March 2||pit bull||Ryan Maxwell||7 years||Killed by a dog that was kept chained in the back yard of a home he was visiting. The dog may have been let off the chain by the boy or may have broken free before the attack. The dog's owners had been cited previously for letting their dogs run loose. Officers had also been called to their house on reports that dogs were not being fed. Although no criminal charges were filed in relation to this dog attack, one of the owners, Jereme Carter, is now in jail on murder charges from an unrelated case.|
|March 6||pit bull-Staffordshire Terrier mix (2)||Daxton Borchardt||14 months||When babysitter, baby in her arms she went out into her backyard let her two 45 lb. dogs, they became "nippy", jumping up at the pair, so she batted them off. The dogs then attacked, and bit & scratched her, shredding her clothing and knocking her down, causing the boy to hit the ground, whereupon the dogs attacked him. The babysitter tried unsuccessfully to stop the attack, and redirect the dogs onto her. A neighbor heard screams but did nothing as he thought it was kids having a snowfight. She got the child away from the dogs and called 911 but left the baby unattended & totally naked on a cold hardwood floor. The boy was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and by helicopter from the hospital to a medical center later that day, where he was pronounced dead of dog attack. Before the attack, the veterinarian center where they had been spayed, neutered, and otherwise cared for had not seen them as dangerous, but one was described as "standoffish" while at the facility. The owner said she had got the three-year-old dogs as puppies and that they had never shown signs of aggression. After the attack, the dogs were euthanized and tested negative for rabies, and the authorities decided not to press charges against the babysitter.|
|March 27||pit bull and pit bull mix (7)||Monica Renee Laminack||21 months||Killed by dogs belonging to her mother's boyfriend. An autopsy confirmed that the child died of injuries consistent with a dog attack. The child's mother was subsequently charged with Cruelty to Children in the Second Degree.|
|April 7||pit bull mix (2) or bulldogs||Tyler Jett||7 years||Attacked while riding his bike by his neighbor's two dogs and died 5 days later. The owner a week prior had received a citation for allowing his aggressive dogs loose and is currently facing criminally negligent manslaughter charges.
Some sources identify the two dogs as "pit bull mixes"; other reports identified them as a "brindle bulldog" and an "Alapaha blue blood bulldog". Some articles referred to them as both "pit bull mixes" and "bull dogs" within the same article. Photos of the dogs exist.
|April 11||pit bull–Mastiff mix||Claudia Gallardo||38 years||A woman was killed after being attacked by a dog that has terrorized the neighborhood for months, according to authorities and residents. The dog, reported to be a female pit bull/mastiff mix, was also reported to have attacked neighbors in the past. Claudia Gallardo was killed after jumping into the fenced yard where the dog was kept.|
|April 22||American Staffordshire Terrier||Jordyn Arndt||4 years||Four-year-old Jordyn Arndt, was mauled by a pit bull at her babysitter's home. The owner of the dog, 24-year-old Jana Marie Wright, was supposed to be babysitting Jordyn. She was convicted and sentenced in July 2015 to 10 years in prison for child endangerment causing serious injury, 10 years for neglect of a dependent person, 2 years for interference with official acts, and 1 year for assault on a police officer, to be served concurrently. Neighbors say that they had previously filed several complaints about the dog. The babysitter had a history of arrest on drug-related and child-neglect charges.|
|April 24||American Staffordshire Terrier mix (pit bull mix)||Beau Rutledge||2 years||The boy was killed while the mother stepped away to use the restroom. The dog was 8 years old and neighbors said they had never thought it was aggressive.|
|April 30||German Shepherd||Rachael Honabarger||35 years||The attack happened at home involving a male dog registered to her husband. The dog was 100–150 lb. and 3 years old. One neighbor said that the dog has been aggressive and guarded the house. News sources reported that she died four days after the attack; however, the date given in her obituary was 2 days after the attack.|
|May 8||pit bull mix (4)||Carlton Freeman||80 years||Freeman, a bi-lateral amputee at the knees, was driving in his wheelchair when he was attacked by a pack of four dogs that neighbors said had been roaming the neighborhood on-and-off for months. He tried to fight the dogs, but was unable to and was pulled from his wheelchair. The incident happened on May 8, and Freeman died on May 12. The coroner says he had lacerations and bites "from his legs to the top of his head." Initial reports said that three of the dogs belonged to a woman who is Freeman's neighbor and relative. The Sheriff's Office later announced that the four dogs were feral and did not belong to anyone. Sheriff's reports described the dogs as "brown dogs" and Animal Control claimed that they were mixed-breed "with possible 'pit bull' influence." However, multiple news sources stated that they were Pit bulls. Photos of three of the dogs are available. One of the four dogs has not yet been found.|
|May 9||pit bull (4)||Pamela Marie Devitt||63 years||The woman was walking near her home when she was attacked by a pack of dogs. DNA results later confirmed that four of the eight dogs owned by a local man had been involved in the attack. Local residents reported that the area repeatedly has problems with packs of dogs running loose.
The owner of the dogs was charged with second degree murder for the attack. He was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon for a previous incident in which his dogs attacked a horse and rider and he threw a stone at the rider. He also faced several charges related to a marijuana growing operation he was running. The dogs had been involved in several other attacks for which the owner was cited, and he had also been cited for failing to vaccinate, license, spay, neuter or microchip the dogs. He was also in violation of the legal limit in that jurisdiction of owning no more than 3 dogs. In 2006, he had had four other dogs confiscated and destroyed after they attacked emus. He was sentenced to 15 years to life for the second-degree murder conviction.
|June 9||Bullmastiff||Ayden Evans||5 years||Killed inside the home of family friends near Jessieville, Arkansas where he had been staying for two weeks because his family's home in Moore, Oklahoma had been destroyed by tornados. After the child had started loudly crying, the 150 lb. dog came running out of a back room and attacked him. The dog's owner stopped the attack, but not before the boy had received serious wounds to the neck and face. He was rushed to a hospital in Hot Springs, AR where he was declared dead. The dog ran away, so authorities began trying to find it and euthanize it. Investigators declined to say just yet whether or not the owners would face any charges.|
|June 17||pit bull mix||Nephi Selu||6 years||The boy was attempting to ride the dog "like a horse" when he was bitten a single time on the top of the head. The two-year-old, un-neutered male dog had been acquired as a guard dog and was kept in the backyard of the family's home. After the bite, the family did not think he had been seriously injured and expected him to be fine "after a couple of stitches." He was brought to the hospital 2 1/2 hours after being bitten and died two hours later. The dog had up-to-date rabies shots and was properly licensed.|
|June 25||pit bull mix||Arianna Jolee Merrbach||5 years||Killed after walking up to a chained dog that belonged to her aunt. The dog had been kept on a chain in violation of the county's laws against prolonged tethering, and animal cruelty charges were being considered against the owner.|
|July 1||Labrador Retriever mix||Linda Oliver||63 years||Victim was killed by a dog that she had taken in as a stray two weeks previously. The incident occurred while she was attempting to stop it from attacking her other "small brown wiener dog." The dog was tracked, shot by police the following day.|
|August 30||pit bull||Juan Campos||96 years||Katy, Texas - Victim was found dead in his backyard, with one of his lower legs missing, bites all over his body, his pet dog dead, and three pit bull type dogs nearby. It is believed that one or more of the dogs belonged to the rear neighbor whose wooden fence had some broken slats.|
|September 15||Husky mix(es)||Jordan Reed||5 years||Jordan was found dead after being mauled by one or more loose dogs.|
|September 22||pit bull mixes (3)||Daniel Jackson Teubner||2 years||Gilbert, Arizona - Toddler was killed by 3 dogs owned by his babysitter, who was also babysitting in her home his four other siblings, all special needs. The babysitter was also mauled and hospitalized trying to break up a fight between the dogs. The dogs were euthanized for rabies testing.|
|September 23||pit bull mix (5) ||Samuel Eli Zamudio||2 years||Killed by up to five dogs that belonged to his grandmother, in the back yard of her house. Authorities do not know how the boy ended up in the yard with the dogs, and occupants of the house said they heard no screams or other noises, but the boy was found dead with bite marks to his face and neck. Neighbors had complained to authorities about the noise and "stench from the yard" where the dogs were kept. A photo of one of the dogs is available. The boy's grandmother and uncle were later arrested in Colton, California.|
|September 27||pit bull||Jordan Ryan||5 years||The boy was unsupervised at a family friend's house and entered a backyard pen where the dog was kept. The dog had been acquired 6 weeks earlier.|
|November 1||pit bull||Terry Douglass||56 years||Her dog, Boosie, which she originally acquired for protection and had raised from a puppy. It had previously attacked a family member and Douglass, who carried a large facial scar as a result. Boosie had been taken away by authorities, but Douglass had fought to have Boosie back, and he had recently been returned to her apartment in Balitimore, Maryland. Officers speculated Douglass, a handicapped woman, may have fallen on the dog, and described the scene as "horrific".|
|November 4||pit bull (2)||Katherine Atkins||25 years||Went out to the kennel behind their home in Kernersville, NC to feed the dogs as usual, but this time they attacked. They belonged to her boyfriend. The dogs were euthanized and will be given a necropsy for clues as to why they attacked.|
|November 5||pit bull (2)||Nga Woodhead||65 years||On her daily walk about a mile from her home in Spanaway, Washington. The dogs had escaped from a nearby property and attacked from the rear. She fought the dogs with her umbrella and called her husband. A passerby tried to help. He told her husband the location, who called 911. Another neighbor gave the passerby a gun and he shot one, which fled. Police arrived and shot them, and an ambulance took her to the hospital. Her arm was especially badly mauled ("shredded"). Almost a week later, when she was sitting in the hospital waiting for her discharge paperwork, she died of a heart attack thought to be brought on by "extremity contusions, lacerations and fractures due to dog bites". The Sheriff recommended the county prosecutor file charges, but it was not yet clear whether they would.|
|November 8||pit bull(s)||Levi Watson||4 years||Visiting a home in White County, Arkansas. The boy "managed to get out of the home" and "enter a fenced-in area where three pit bulls were being held." Emergency crews brought him to the hospital where he died. At press time, police were investigating which of three pit bulls were responsible; what the fate of the dogs, which were taken into custody, would be; and whether any charges would be filed. The owner was cooperating with the investigation.|
|November 21||pit bull-bull mastiff mix||Joan Kappen||75 years||Hot Springs Village, Arkansas The owner of the 87-pound dog said it would frequently "bite out of fear". It had previously bitten an intoxicated family member in the face, bitten a neighbor in the face, and bitten its owner on the arm and leg. The attack occurred after the dogs were let outside unsupervised, off-leash in an unfenced yard.|
|December 7||pit bull (2)||Jah'Niyah White||2 years||South Side, Chicago|
|December 10||Shiba Inu (2)||Mia Gibson||3 months||Attack occurred in the Columbus, Ohio home when the parents were sleeping. Mia was a premature baby who had only come home from the hospital Thanksgiving.|
|December 13||pit bull||Michal Nelson||41 years||Her own dog. She had gone outside, where the dog was kept chained up in a pen, to break ice on the dog's water bowl, when it attacked. Her brother found her body and shot the dog. Her eleven other dogs were taken away by authorities.|
|December 28||Boxer||Tom J. Vick||64 years||Vick and his wife tried to break up a fight at their home in Bullhead City, AZ between their two dogs when one of them turned on them. He died soon after arriving at the local hospital; she survived and was flown to a Las Vegas, NV hospital.|
Fatalities reported in 2014
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 5||Houston, Texas||Christine Bell||43 years||pit bull (1) and pit bull mix (1)||Killed by loose dogs in an attack in which two other people were also injured, one seriously. Animal Control caught one of the dogs, while the owner fled with the second dog, a pit bull mix. Later the owner surrendered the second dog plus a third dog not believed to be part of the killing. The owners of the dogs were cited for keeping the animals in deplorable conditions, not licensing or vaccinating them, and allowing them to run at large. Homicide detectives were determining whether to press criminal charges.|
|January 6||New Braunfels, Texas||Betty Clark||74 years||pit bulls (2)||Elderly widow was walking alone when neighbors' dogs badly mauled her. She was saved by another neighbor and her boyfriend, who used a gun to scare off the dogs, but not before receiving wounds that caused her death in the hospital 16 days later. After the attack, the dogs were euthanized and their owners were arrested for allowing a dog attack that resulted in a death. The attack was first reported in the news media 4 months after the incident in an article about an unrelated attack. The dog's owners were indicted and arrested in 2014 for "Attack by dog resulting in death". Five years later, their cases are still ongoing with a jury trial scheduled May 6, 2019.|
|January 17||Bloomington, Illinois||Kara Hartrich||4 years||pit bull (2 males, 1 female)||Died from blood loss following injuries sustained to head and neck after being attacked by the dogs while her grandmother was babysitting Kara and her 2-year-old sister. When the grandmother attempted to intervene, the dogs turned on her and she then focused on protecting the 2-year-old child and was unable to stop the attack on Kara. Emergency personnel were called and Kara was taken to a hospital but died from her injuries. The dogs were surrendered to McLean County Animal Control where they were euthanized after a 10-day observation period. No charges were filed against the owners.|
|January 26||Corona, California||Annabell Martin||89 years||Rottweilers (3)||The dogs belonged to the woman's grandson. He told police they had no history of aggressive behavior. Other details are not known as there is little media coverage available from the incident.|
|February 7||Dayton, Ohio||Klonda Richey||57 years||Mastiff mix (2) or Cane Corso mix (2)||The woman was attacked in the driveway of her home in the early morning hours by two mixed mastiffs that belonged to a neighbor. The dogs were shot and killed when they attacked police officers who responded to the call. The couple who owned the dogs were both sentenced for "failure to control dogs". A wrongful death suit was filed against the county dog warden and his agency. The victim had made 36 calls to authorities about the dogs over the prior two years before her death (in addition to 20 other anonymous calls), built a fence and installed security cameras. Richey's death sparked several attempts (still ongoing) to change the vicious dog laws in Ohio.|
|February 17||Temple, Texas||Je'vaeh Mayes||2 years||pit bull||The girl's family was watching a friend's female dog and its two puppies. They were being kept in the back yard. The 2-year-old girl went out into the yard alone without her parents' knowledge and was attacked by the mother of the two puppies. The dog was chained in the backyard at the time, was later euthanized, and no criminal charges were to be filed.|
|February 24||High Point, North Carolina||Braelynn Rayne Coulter||3 years||pit bull||Was playing in her yard when her family's dog suddenly attacked. Her mother tried to stop it, but the dog attacked her as well. The family said the dog had never been aggressive, but neighbors said it had escaped and attacked a dog. Both mother and daughter were taken to the hospital, where Braelynn died. The dog was taken by authorities and scheduled to be euthanized after police finished their investigation.|
|February 26||Tallassee, Alabama||Summer Sears||4 years||White shepherd mix, with possible involvement of a black retriever mix||Killed while playing behind the trailer her grandfather rented.|
|February 28||Paterson, New Jersey||Kenneth Santilla||13 years||Bull mastiff||A 115-pound bull mastiff escaped a back-yard fence and mauled two 13-year-old boys, killing one and injuring the other.|
|March 1||Killeen, Texas||Raymane Robinson Jr.||2 years||Bull mastiff||Walking home from the playground with an 8-year-old girl, when the dog accidentally escaped from his owner's garage and attacked the girl. A teenage boy saved the girl, but then the dog immediately attacked Raymane and dragged him off. Someone shot at the dog, frightening it into dropping the boy and running back into the garage. Police and EMTs arrived and took them both to the hospital, where doctors saved the girl but the boy died of penetrating and blunt injuries.|
|March 14||Phoenix, Arizona||Nancy Newberry||77 years||pit bull||Victim was feeding 4-year old Titan, one of the family's three dogs, when he bit her in the abdomen. The dog had a history of aggression and biting people, and was euthanized per family request.|
|March 25||Houma, Louisiana||Mia DeRouen||4 years||pit bull||Family's pet pit bull attacked while she was watching television with her mother. The mother, also injured, had to barricade herself and the injured child in a bedroom until police arrived. Responding officers were forced to shoot the pit bull in order to enter the apartment. The dog, Niko, was of an unusually large size, weighing in at 130 lbs. The victim's family has refused cooperation with authorities into further investigation. Another dog, a 6-month-old female, was removed from the scene.|
|March 31||Thornton, Mississippi||Christopher Malone||3 years||pit bull (2)||Christopher Malone's mother found the boy's body behind the family's Holmes County home. The Holmes County Sheriff's Department said it happened around 4 p.m. No one saw the attack. Family members said they've had the dogs since they were puppies, and the dogs have been around children their entire lives.|
|April 1||Kaufman, Texas||Dorothy Hamilton||85 years||pit bull (2)||A woman was found dead at her home in Kaufman on Monday afternoon, and police believe that pit bulls are responsible for the killing. It was around 4:45 p.m. when authorities were called to a residence in the 1400 block of East First North Street. When police arrived at the scene, they discovered 85-year-old Dorothy Hamilton dead in the living room of her home. Investigators also found a pair of aggressive pit bulls inside of the house. Animal control put down the two dogs that were inside the house when police found Hamilton. Authorities said that the dogs were being held in a bedroom, but it looks as though they broke down the door in order to attack the woman.|
|April 6||Riverside, Alabama||John Harvard||5 years||pit bull||Playing outside his home when neighbor's dog, between 80–100 lbs., attacked. His 9-year-old brother couldn't get the dog off him, so he ran in the house and got his father, who shot at the animal, which broke off the attack and fled. After the attack, a neighbor called the EMTs, and an ambulance took him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The dog was taken to a veterinary clinic. Before the attack, John and the dog had played together; the dog had been legally allowed free range with no previous complaints; and the town had had a nuisance law but no leash law.|
|April 11||San Antonio, Texas||Petra Aguirre||83 years||American Staffordshire Terrier mix||Victim was feeding cats in her own backyard when the neighbor's dog crawled under a fence and attacked her. She died two weeks later. The dog, who had previously bitten a child, was euthanized and the dog's owner sentenced to five years in prison.|
|April 27||Smiths Station, Alabama||Katie Morrison||20 years||pit bull (3)||In her friend's yard playing with the dogs. When she picked something up from the ground, one of the dogs attacked, and the other two joined in. She suffered extensive bite wounds over her body and a severe head injury and died about a week later. At press time no charges had been filed and the dogs were still in mandatory ten-day quarantine.|
|April 28||Sebring, Florida||Jessica Norman||33 years||Unclear (see text)||The woman was found dead of a methamphetamine overdose. An autopsy found that she had bites that "appeared to come from a canine" and which "contributed to the death." At the time that she died, neighbors had seen three aggressive Pit bulls running loose in the neighborhood. Investigators attempted to link the dogs to the woman's death with DNA. They were able to show by DNA that hairs on her were of canine origin, but were unable to match the DNA with that of the specific dogs.|
|May 4||Caldwell County, North Carolina||Nyhiem Wilfong||18 months||Rottweiler||Toddler killed by a chained family dog in backyard at his grandfather's house.|
|May 7||Felton, Delaware||Kasii Haith||4 years||pit bull (3)||The child had gone with his pregnant mother to visit one of the mother's friends and was playing in front of the home with the dogs, whom he had reportedly played with in the past. At some point the mother looked outside to see the three pitbulls attacking the child and rushed to help him, at which point the pitbulls attacked her. Nearby HVAC workers attempted to beat the dogs back with PVC pipes and were unsuccessful. The child was pronounced dead on scene by paramedics, the pregnant mother was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries and monitoring of the unborn child. The dogs had not been vaccinated against rabies and were euthanised.|
|May 25||Branford, Connecticut||Rita Pepe||93 years||pit bull mix||Victim was out walking on April 13 when the dog dashed out of its owner's back door and went straight for the elderly woman. The owner had to beat the dog on the head with a rock to get it to let go of the victim's leg. The victim died in hospital a month later.|
|June 9||Davisburg, Michigan||Holden Garrison||10 weeks||Catahoula Cur||When the dog tried to get on the sofa where the baby was on his uncle's lap, the uncle pushed it off. The dog then attacked, biting the baby on the face and neck. Father was injured prying him out of its jaws. EMTs tried to revive the baby and airlifted him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Prior to the attack, the dog had lived with the family for four years. It had bitten a person once, but had drawn no blood. After the attack, the dog was euthanized.|
|July 4||Benton County, Mississippi||Derrick Sanders||45 years||pit bulls||Found dead, naked, throat split, and in a horrible state, police originally thought victim was murdered - until two months later when the victim's cousin David Glass was found barely alive, mauled by pit bulls. Eventually, Eric Hodges, the owner of these same dogs who also killed David Glass two months later, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for two counts of manslaughter. The dogs were let out to roam at night; both were euthanized.|
|July 20||Tampa, Florida||Logan Sheppard||4 years||pit bull (2)||Mauled to death by his uncle's guard dogs after being left unsupervised while his parents left to consume cannabis. The boy's grandmother said that the family knew the dogs were vicious. Neighbors also said that the dogs were known to be vicious.[dead link] Although early speculations stated that the child may have let the dogs out of their cages to play with, family members later stated that the uncle had left the dogs free to roam the yard and "to protect his property."|
|July 20||Dayton, Ohio||Johnathan Quarles Jr.||7 months||American Staffordshire Terrier||The boy's stepgrandmother picked the boy up from a car seat and then the dog jumped and bit the boy and the stepgrandmother. The stepgrandmother tried punching the dog and grabbing its collar but then the dog bit the boy's head. The dog had prior behavioral issues. Following the incident, the dog was seized and euthanized and the stepgrandmother was sentenced to three years in prison in June 2016.|
|July 23||Metamora Township, Michigan||Craig Sytsma||46 years||Cane Corso (2)||The victim was out jogging in the evening. A neighbor who witnessed the attack successfully drove off the dogs after wounding one with a gun. According to police, dogs at the same address had attacked and bitten two other people in the previous two years who were walking or jogging in the neighborhood. An unprovoked attack on a jogger by two 100-pound Cane Corsos was reported in Lapeer, Michigan. The jogger died. The two owners of the dogs were charged with second degree murder, which carries a potential sentence of Life in Prison, and ultimately pleaded guilty to "owning a dangerous animal, causing death", receiving a prison sentence for a minimum of 57 months to a maximum of 15 years. The couple may also face deportation, as they were under investigation for falsifying citizenship documents at the time of the mauling. "The dogs involved in the attack have a history of escaping from their kennel and have bitten at least twice before."|
|August 4||Madison Township, Ohio||Cindy Whisman||59 years||pit bull or pit bull-Presa Canario mix||Was playing with her 2-year-old grandson in the yard when the dog attacked. A neighbor beat the dog off with a walking stick, but she was already dead, with multiple wounds to the head, neck, and body. The dog had not shown previous aggression; the child used to climb and put weight on the dog. After the attack, the dog was to be destroyed.|
|August 7||Fanning Springs, Florida||Joel Chirieleison||6 years||pit bull (2)||Babysitting aunt let the child and the two dogs outside her house and sat to watch TV. No one saw the attack. She looked outside and saw the body in the driveway. The authorities arrived and determined that the dogs had killed the boy. After the attack, the dogs were removed by animal control officers and scheduled to be destroyed. The aunt had been babysitting the child when his father went to work for weeks. The aunt said she had never had any problems with the dogs before the attack, and police said the boy and the dogs had been together on a regular basis.|
|August 11||St. Charles County, Missouri||Deriah Solem||22 months||pit bull mix||Grandmother, 58, had set the child down after feeding her when the 80 lb., 10-year-old family dog attacked. Wounds to the head and neck were the cause of death, not those to her back and stomach. Grandmother, who lost several tips of her fingers trying to save the child, ordered her brothers, 5 and 8 years old, to run for their lives. They ran to the next door neighbor who came and stabbed the dog repeatedly to get it to release. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital. Before the attack, the dog had previously shown aggressive behavior. The dog was euthanized.|
|August 13||Miami-Dade County, Florida||Javon Dade Jr||4 years||pit bull (1) and pit bull mixes (5)||The boy was found dead in the backyard the morning after the victim's father and his girlfriend smoked marijuana laced with cocaine and fell asleep. There were six dogs in the yard. The adults were charged with child neglect. The father had an extensive criminal history for dealing drugs. Animal Services removed all of the dogs and the pit bull was euthanized for aggressive behavior. Pit bulls are illegal in Miami-Dade County. The father pled guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to four years in prison and six years probation in a plea deal.|
|September 21||Benton County, Mississippi||David Glass Sr||50 years||pit bulls (3)||Attacked by dogs on the side of the road at night and died the following day. Eric Hodges, the owner of these same dogs who also killed Derrick Sanders two months earlier, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for two counts of manslaughter. The dogs were let out to roam at night; both were euthanized.|
|September 26||Cave City, Arkansas||Alice Payne||75 years||pit bull||Ms. Payne's daughter arrived and found the elderly woman dead on the floor of her home with apparent bite marks on her face, neck, and arms inflicted by her own pit bull. Police responded to a 911 call made by the woman's family, who were able to get the dog into the back yard where it was eventually put down by police officers.|
|October 15||Modesto, California||Juan Fernandez||59 years||pit bulls (4)||Victim and his elderly mother were both attacked by the neighbor's four dogs who had breached the common fence. The dogs were shot and killed by deputies. The woman received multiple bite injuries and a broken leg; the man did not survive.|
|October 24||Hustisford, Wisconsin||Logan Meyer||7 years||Rottweiler||The boy let the dog outside to relieve himself, and at some point was attacked. The dog was owned by the family and was being trained as a service dog. The dog was euthanized.|
|October 25||Rowland, North Carolina||Alameaner Dial||83 years||pit bull (1 adult male, 1 adult female, and 2 puppies)||Attacked by her granddaughter's 4 dogs. The victim's daughter in law said that the dogs were left to roam in a large fenced area, were known to be vicious, and had caused problems in the neighborhood before. Relatives and neighbors had repeatedly asked that the dogs be restrained. They had previously called police and the Department of Social Service to intervene, but the situation of the dogs had remained unchanged.|
|November 12||Wind River Indian Reservation, Wyoming||Deanne Lynn Coando||40 years||Pack of reservation dogs||No one witnessed the attack by the pack of roaming dogs and few details are available.|
|November 14||Stratford, Connecticut||Stella Antanaitis||91 years||Keeshond mix||The woman was attempting to intervene in a fight between her dog and cat when the dog attacked her.|
|November 18||Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota||Jayla Rodriguez||8 years||Pack of reservation dogs||While sledding near her home, the girl was attacked by a pack of dogs. Witnesses to the attack were unsure of how many dogs were involved or what were their breeds.|
|November 23||Rockingham County, North Carolina||Jose Robles||62 years||Pack of Hounds and Blue Heeler||Man attacked by a pack of 14 dogs died from injuries related to the attack. The attack occurred by the pack of dogs while he was walking down a road. He was visiting family in the area.|
|December 1||Pollock, Louisiana||Bobbie Cheveallier||85 years||Unknown||Elderly woman attacked while she was unconscious (due to a diabetic condition) near her home by a pack of dogs. She died a few days later due to injuries from the attack. Some of the dogs belonged to a neighbor and some of the dogs were stray dogs. Their breeds were unknown.|
|December 6||Citrus County, Florida||Christopher Joaquin Camejo||2 years||Rottweiler (4)||The child was attacked and killed by four of his grandfather's dogs outside in the yard. Animal Control seized and euthanized the dogs. Both parents appeared under the influence and tested positive for meth, amphetamines, oxy, opiates and benzos. Neighbors told authorities the dogs had been aggressive in the past, including attacking people, and had previously been reported to Animal Control. The neighbors also reported constant drug traffic at the home. Cause of death was ruled "Multiple Blunt Force Injuries due to Dog Mauling" and the victim's two young siblings were placed in foster care. In 2016, the mother pled guilty to Manslaughter of a Child and the father was found not guilty of Murder in the Third Degree by jury.|
|December 15||Corpus Christi, Texas||Rita Ross (aka Rita Woodard)||64 years||Unspecified (5)||Victim was found dead after being attacked by five of the seventeen dogs she kept in her home. Described as "a bloody mess" by police, the coroner determined she died of "critical coronary artery atherosclerosis following multiple dog bites". All five dogs were euthanized.|
|December 25||Portage, Indiana||Edward Cahill||40 years||pit bull||The man died after suffering bites to his arms and face from his dog. No one else was home to witness the attack. The man's girlfriend said they had given the dog a bone for Christmas and he was extremely aggressive and protective of it. The girlfriend also said that she had told Mr. Cahill to euthanize the dog in the past because he was "extremely aggressive and unpredictable."|
Fatalities reported in 2015
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 7||Frederick, Maryland||Eugene Smith||87 years||Pit bull||The man died after suffering bites to his head and left arm from his son's dog. He was taking down a Christmas tree when the dog attacked him.|
|January 19||Brooksville, Florida||Declan Moss||1½ years||pit bull (2)||Playing on his family's porch when the family's two dogs attacked. His grandfather tried to pull the dogs off, but when the ambulance arrived, he was already dead. Before the attack, the two dogs had played with Declan since they were puppies and they had never shown any aggression. After the attack, the two dogs were removed by animal control.|
|January 22||College Springs, Iowa||Malaki Mildward||7 years||pit bull mix (2)||Playing in his yard with the six-month-old dogs — a 25-pound female and a 35-pound male — as he had done with no problems since they were small puppies. There were no witnesses; relatives came outside and found him unresponsive. The dogs stood calmly by while EMTs tried to revive him. They were calm and friendly as they were taken away until they along with the family's third dog were put down, just as they had reportedly always been with everyone before the attack. When his father sold their litter-mates, he described them as "pitbull English bulldog-types." Malaki was pronounced dead 50 minutes after the attack. No charges were filed.|
|February 4||Coal Hill, Arkansas||Fredrick Crutchfield||63 years||unknown (3)||Found dead by a family member.|
|February 22||West Mifflin, Pennsylvania||TayLynn DeVaughn||2 years||pit bull mix||The family had been staying with the residents for days and the dog had shown no sign of aggression. At about 8:45 p.m. the dog suddenly bit her face and shook her, killing her very quickly. She was pronounced dead at the hospital; the dog was euthanized, and no charges were filed.|
|March 8||Ohio County, West Virginia||Roy Higgenbotham Jr.||63 years||pit bull||Victim was killed while trying to revive his roommate, the dog's owner, from a heart attack. A woman who witnessed the attack was found hiding from the dog on the roof. The dog was not registered with the city, despite ordinance requiring all pit bulls in the city be registered. Both men were pronounced dead at a local hospital. The dog was ultimately sent to a Pennsylvania rescue.|
|March 12||Sulphur Springs, Texas||Betty Wood||78 years||Rottweiler||Found dead by her daughter in the home where she lived alone. Investigation concluded she had been killed by the dog that she had owned for five years. The dog was scheduled to be destroyed and tested for rabies.|
|March 14||Rosebud Indian Reservation, South Dakota||Julia Charging Whirlwind||49 years||Pack of reservation dogs||The woman was attacked early in the morning near her property. The sheriff arrived and shot and killed the dogs.|
|March 21||Jefferson County, Arkansas||De'Trick Johnson||38 years||pit bull (7 or 8)||Arrived at a garage for a car repair appointment, when seven guard dogs got under the fence and attacked him. He ran and got on the roof of his car, but was not saved. Police arrived and tazed a dog, but it had no effect, so he shot it dead. Animal control tried a tranquilizer gun on another, but that failed, so three more were shot dead, one escaped, and animal control captured and euthanized two. Before the attack, reports had been filed with the police about the dogs. After the attack, the escaped dog returned to the garage, showed aggression towards a deputy and was shot. An eighth dog found on the property that had not participated in the attack was captured. The owner pleaded guilty to a felony manslaughter charge on April 1, 2016.|
|March 31||Washington, Georgia||Neta Lee Adams||81 years||unknown||The woman's body was found in a ditch and autopsy determined she had died from a dog attack.|
|April 14||Pahrump, Nevada||Kenneth Ford||79 years||pit bull (3)||Ford went to his neighbor's two-home property to feed his cats when the dogs jumped the fence and attacked him.|
|April 19||Dallas, Texas||Brayden Lamar Wilson||10 weeks||pit bull||Victim was killed by his family's dog. The child was sitting in a bouncing seat while the parents were outside. The victim's two older siblings had grown up playing and sleeping with the 8-year old dog. The father shot the dog after the incident.|
|May 2||Canyon Lake, Texas||Gaege Anthony Ramirez||7 years||Unspecified (5)||Mauled to death by up to five dogs while visiting friends.|
|May 24||Rochester, New York||Anthony Wind||26 years||Rottweiler||Victim was mauled to death by his girlfriend's dog which allegedly assisted the victim when he had epileptic seizures. The dog, however, had previously attacked the victim four times, injuring both ears. Three of those incidents were reported.|
|May 25||Chicago, Illinois||James Nevils III||5 years||Dogo Argentino||Boy was killed by his cousin's dog while visiting his home. The dog belonged to the boy's cousin, who was away when the attack occurred.|
|June 28||Lawton, Oklahoma||Jordan Collins-Tyson||3 years old||pit bull||Killed by dog while under the care of his babysitter. The dog fatally bit the boy's throat. Police said the child had been around the dog before without any problems.|
|July 2||Pecos, Texas||Norberto Legarda||83 years old||pit bull (3)||Victim was attacked and killed by three dogs belonging to his daughter's next door neighbor while feeding his daughter's Labrador Retriever. The neighbor's dogs somehow entered into the backyard and began attacking Legarda and the Labrador. When police arrived, the dogs were still attacking the Labrador and a man was lying in the backyard. Police had to pepper spray and Taser the pit bulls to reach the injured man. Shortly thereafter, Legarda was pronounced dead.|
|July 7||Hendersonville, North Carolina||Joshua Strother||6 years||pit bull||Killed by a dog belonging to his neighbor, who had adopted the neutered male pit bull from the Asheville Humane Society three weeks earlier. The attack occurred after Joshua climbed the fence to enter his neighbor's yard. Joshua had been climbing over the fence to visit the dog since its arrival, as well to play with his neighbor's young daughter.|
|July 12||Shaker Heights, Ohio||Annie Williams||71 years||pit bull||Attacked and killed by a dog that had escaped from the back yard just after she exited her car in a residential neighborhood. Annie was picking up her two great granddaughters from a home in Shaker Heights, where they were with their father, when the dog belonging to someone living in the home attacked her in the driveway. The dog's owner pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 30 months in prison. His mother pleaded guilty to negligent homicide and received a six-month suspended jail sentence.|
|July 24||Redbird, Oklahoma||Carolyn Lamp||67 years||pit bull (3), Rottweiler (1)||The victim was killed by up to four dogs. Witnesses said she was walking down South Main Street in the small town of Redbird when the animals attacked. One man chased the dogs away, but it was too late. The dogs attacked the woman's face and ripped off all of her clothing. Witnesses said she was left unrecognizable. She died on scene.|
|August 10||Orlando, Florida||Max Gracia||25 years||police dog||The man, an armed robbery suspect, was bitten multiple times by police dogs while resisting arrest. An autopsy determined that he died four days later of infection from the bites. During the arrest, Mr. Gracia had hit the dog several times and attempted to drown it in a lake.|
|August 22||Spartanburg, South Carolina||Porsche Cartee||25 years||pit bull||Cartee was killed by her own dog, and her two roommates were injured, when she tried to fend off an attack on one of her roommates. Victim's ex-boyfriend said the dog had been aggressive for years and was a contention in their relationship and victim's relationship with her family.|
|August 24||Davie County, North Carolina||Cathy H. Wheatcraft||48 years||pit bull||Wheatcraft had just stepped out and was walking toward her mailbox when attacked. The dog, which may have been riled from a storm, had escaped through a neighbor's window while its owner was away. It had been declared a "nuisance animal" three months earlier, after leaving its owner's property and fighting with another dog. A neighbor of Wheatcraft was attacked while trying to assist her, until a police officer arrived and fatally shot the dog.|
|September 4||Autauga County, Alabama||Barbara McCormick||65 years||Shepherd or Retriever mixed breeds (3)||McCormick was apparently mauled to death by her family's pet dogs. When she was found, two dogs were off of their leashes, and one was tied up. The county sheriff speculated that the dogs may have gotten into a fight during feeding, and she may have tried to break up the fight or been accidentally knocked down prior to the attack.|
|September 8||North Shore, California||Emilio Rios||65 years||pit bull (2)||The man was out for a morning walk near his home when he was attacked by the dogs. The dogs also attacked a woman, leaving her in a hospital with major injuries. They ran off when police arrived, and were later captured at a nearby residence.|
|September 22||Miami-Dade County, Florida||Carmen Reigada||91 years||American Bulldog mix, Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, German Shepherd mix||The woman was found in her home in a pool of blood, missing the skin off of her scalp and most of her face, with bites on her head, neck, arms and legs. Her great grandson's three pet dogs were suspected. A forensic dentist matched the mouths of all the dogs to the bite marks. Miami-Dade Animal Services confiscated the dogs, declared them dangerous, and wanted to euthanize them, but the owner fought to spare two of them. His attorney argued that the Bulldog, found covered in blood, may have been the aggressor, and that the other two dogs, found without blood, were trying to help her. A March 2016 ruling ordered their euthanization.|
|September 28||Baker Heights, West Virginia||Lamarkus Hicks||2 years||Boxer mix||The toddler was attacked by a 1-year-old boxer mix named Bubba, which was chained in the yard of a neighbor.|
|October 16||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma||Edgar Brown||60 years||pit bull (5)||Victim was attacked by five dogs when he went to a friend's rental home to take out the trash. After three limb amputations and other surgeries, he died in the hospital about two weeks later. The dogs were euthanized and their owner pleaded guilty to second degree manslaughter. The victim's estate won a $15M civil case against the dogs' owner.|
|October 18||Vidor, Texas||Tanner Smith||5 years||pit bull (2)||The boy was killed by two dogs while visiting a friend's home. The dogs had earlier that year bitten a young girl.|
|November 8||Elmont, New York||Amiyah Dunston||9 years||pit bull||Amiyah was visiting her father and playing outside with 2 other children when a family friend's 2-year-old male dog attacked her, biting into her head and neck and throwing her around. Police had to shoot the dog to end the attack. Amiyah died at the hospital with bite wounds all over her body.|
|November 12||Madison County, Tennessee||Anthony Riggs||57 years||Rottweiler||Attacked and killed by a 5-year-old dog he had adopted that day. His wife called deputies who shot the dog, killing it. Riggs was pronounced dead on the scene with multiple bite wounds all over his body.|
|November 15||Oneida County, New York||Carter Hartle||11 months||Shar-Pei - pit bull mix||Family dog attacked and killed the baby while "playing" with the children.|
|December 2||Detroit, Michigan||Xavier Strickland||4 years||pit bull (4)||Attacked and killed while walking with his mother to volunteer at a local school. The dogs escaped from 41-year-old Geneke Lyons' poorly fenced yard, grabbed the child and dragged him back under the fence; once inside the fence, they mauled him to death as he screamed for his mother. Police arrived and shot 3 dogs fatally; the other was taken away by animal control. The child was rushed to a local hospital where he later died of his injuries. Dog owner Geneke Lyons was arrested by police; he was charged in January 2016 with second-degree murder, manslaughter and possessing dangerous animals causing death. His lawyer called it an accident. Neighbors say his dogs routinely escaped his property and terrorized locals.|
|December 3||Port Huron, Michigan||Rebecca Hardy||22 years||pit bull (1) and Husky (1)||The woman, a young mother, climbed onto a decrepit fence of a yard housing a dog known to be aggressive; a witness said the pit bull, King, pulled Hardy down off the fence. It mauled her head, tearing out her throat, one eye, both ears and part of her nose, as well as breaking her spine. There was a white Husky in the yard, and a litter of pit bull/Husky mix puppies in the house. The Husky joined in the attack later. Owners Andrew Scott Miller and Jessica Rae Johnson were cited for lacking dog licenses. All of the dogs were euthanized.|
|December 4||Rogersville, Missouri||Werner Vogt||85 years||Boxer mix (4)||Elderly man was killed by a neighbor's loose dogs while riding his bike in his neighborhood.|
|December 16||Gridley, California||Maria Torres||57 years||pit bull (2)||Deputies found victim's body when they arrived for a welfare check. She had been mauled by her two pet dogs, presumably while trying to break up a fight between them. The dogs were surrendered by family members and euthanized.|
|December 20||Miami, Florida||Nyjah Espinosa||2 years||American Bulldog mix||The girl was visiting her father at his home when his dog attacked her. The girl's grandmother called the dog a pit bull on social media, but Animal Services said it was an American Bulldog mix.|
Fatalities reported in 2016
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of Dog||Circumstances|
|January 3||Linda, California||Tyler Trammell-Huston||9 years||pit bull (3)||The boy was killed while visiting his older sister, Alexandria Griffin-Heady, when he was left alone for several hours with her dogs. Griffin-Heady was pursuing custody of her younger brother, who was living in foster care; her family says she was "ill-equipped to care for a young boy", and her aunt told child welfare officials that her niece was "unstable". Citing Tyler’s death, state assemblyman Kevin McCarthy called for an oversight hearing of the child welfare system, which he said allows “too many kids to slip through the cracks and die.”|
|January 8||Independence, Virginia||Payton Sawyers||15 months||pit bull-Rottweiler mix||Payton was attacked on January 6, 2016, under the care of her babysitters. The dog, which belonged to the babysitters, bit Payton in the head. She was airlifted to a hospital and died two days later.|
|January 24||Lumberton, North Carolina||Talan West||7 years||pit bull (1) + mixed breed (2)||While playing with his siblings in a field, Talan was charged by three dogs. After being bitten multiple times by the other dogs, the male pit bull broke the boy's neck, killing him. The three dogs tested negative for rabies. The pit bull, who suffered from severe heartworm disease, died at the scene due to overexcitement. The other two, who were female and had young puppies, were euthanized. Six months later, the city modified their dog ordinance to include dog registrations, mandatory neutering, limit the number of dogs kept at any household to three, and labelled several pit bull breeds as "potentially vicious" requiring them to be kept indoors or in a secure outside pen.|
|February 7||Youngstown, Ohio||Aiden Grim||3 days||mixed-breed dog||Aiden was lying in a laundry basket when the family dog bit his head. He was dead at the arrival of the police. The death was ruled accidental as the forensic pathologist that performed the autopsy said the dog was only trying to pick the baby up. In media reports, the dog was mostly called "a mixed breed" but also "a mix-breed shepherd weighing around 50 pounds" and "a male Labrador and Shepard mix".|
|February 11||Perquimans County, North Carolina||Suzanne Story||36 years||Boxer-pit bull mix||Story was mauled to death inside her home by her 1½-year-old 100-pound male Boxer-pit bull mix. The dog had attacked her while she was cleaning its crate; her sister heard her screams and pulled the dog off her and shut it into a bathroom. The dog broke a hole in the bathroom door, forced its way out and resumed its attack, holding her down, mauling her, and ripping her throat out.
Story had adopted Buddy from a newspaper ad placed by his former owner, Cheryl Davino, only weeks before it killed her. The dog's breeder, Mike Brown, told reporters Davino had told Brown that she sold Buddy after he attacked her small dog; Davino never mentioned Buddy's violent attack to Story.
|March 8||Thurston County, Washington||Gladys Alexander||92 years||pit bull mixes (4)||Victim went to neighbor's house to deliver a newspaper, opened the door, and the four dogs attacked. Victim died two days later. The sheriff's office described the dogs as "one adult male pit bull/lab mix, one adult-female pit bull/heeler mix and two juvenile mixed-breed pit bulls". All four dogs were euthanized.|
|March 28||Charlotte, North Carolina||Bessie Flowers||84 years||American Pit Bull Terrier (2)||While visiting her daughter's home, Flowers slipped or fell onto a dog's bed. The daughter's family dogs, a male and female, initially played with Flowers, then became increasingly aggressive, biting her head and neck, and causing substantial blood loss. According to the Medical Examiner's Office, Flowers died of "blunt force neck injuries due to dog attack." The two dogs were euthanized three days after the attack.|
|March 31||Leesburg, Florida||Sonda Tyson||66 years||pit bull mix or Bull Mastiff-pit bull mix||Severely attacked in her home by her own dog, which police described as a 100 pound brindle pit bull mix. No witnesses were present. The dog was fatally shot on site by responding police officers.|
|April 14||Fresno County, California||Valente Lopez Aguirre||58 years||pit bull mixes (3) + mixed breed dogs (2)||Victim was found dead of animal bites in a dry canal. Less than two months later, another victim, 74-year old Robert Lee Simonian, was found dead in the same canal, now wet. Though Simonian died of drowning, he too was covered in dog bites. Both men were found about 100 yards from a dog owner's house, and his loose dogs were harassing responders, search and rescue personnel, and neighbors. After a hearing on the dogs, five dogs were declared dangerous and ordered to be euthanized.|
|April 21||San Diego, California||Sebastian Caban||3 days||American Staffordshire Terrier-Great Dane mix or pit bull mix||Two parents were watching television in bed with their newborn son and 2-year-old, neutered family dog, "Polo", which they'd adopted from the San Diego Humane Society five months previously; the SDHS advertised Polo online as "vivacious, bubbly and cheerful." The mother coughed, and the 76 pound dog reacted by biting the newborn infant in the head. After a struggle to get Polo to release their child's skull, the parents drove Sebastian to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Polo was quarantined by San Diego County Animal Services, which euthanized it days later, at the request of the owners.|
|April 24||Homestead, Florida||Manuel Mejia||49 years||Belgian Malinois-American Bulldog mixes (10)||Caretaker was killed on the farm where he worked and the dogs lived.|
|May 9||St. Louis County, Missouri||Adonis Reddick||45 years||pit bull||Victim was discovered dead inside his home by relatives who hadn't heard from him in a few days. One of the victim's two pit bulls was acting aggressively and was shot by authorities inside the home; the other pit bull was taken into custody.|
|May 9||South Dallas, Texas||Antoinette Brown||52 years||Unspecified (7)||Victim was attacked on May 2 in a vacant lot by a pack of dogs belonging to a local resident who had a history of repeated citations for violating dog ordinances and surrendering of dogs. This case sparked investigations and changes in several city departments because of failures to communicate between agencies.|
|June 4||Stockton, California||Earl Wayne Stephens Jr.||43 years||pit bull||Victim was helping the dog's owner repair a scooter when the dog bit the victim an undisclosed number of times, killing the victim|
|June 4||Bangor, Maine||Hunter Bragg||7 years||pit bull||Victim was playing outside with the dog when the dog attacked the boy's throat, according to the animal control officer's report. Report states the attack was unprovoked, and the dog had a history of attacking other pets belonging to its previous owner.|
|June 15||Manor, Texas||Erin McCleskey||36 years||appeared to be Labrador Retriever-Great Pyrenees mixes (4) and Husky-Australian Cattle Dog mixes (2)||McCleskey entered the gate to a property to serve court papers, and was attacked by several dogs. Neither the dogs' owner nor any witnesses were present during the attack. 14 puppies were also found on the property. No humans lived at the house, where the six adult dogs were kept for breeding purposes. A court ruling to euthanize the dogs was made on June 24, 2016.|
|June 20||New Haven, Connecticut||Jocelyn Winfrey||53 years||American Bulldog mix (2)||Jocelyn Winfrey was attacked, bitten and mauled by two dogs when she and her friend, Hamilton Hicks, the owner of the dogs, were walking to his house. During the attack, Hicks tried to pull the dogs off of Winfrey, but he was also attacked and suffered non-life threatening injuries. Neighbors also intervened by throwing rocks at the dogs during the incident. After the attack, Winfrey underwent surgeries to remove both eyes and one leg. Winfrey died one week after the attack. Hicks was charged with misdemeanor possession of crack cocaine, and there was "speculation as to whether or not the dogs may have gotten into some narcotics", but the dogs were too aggressive to test without anesthetics, which would have polluted the sample. The dogs were scheduled to be euthanized.|
|June 27||Fresno, California||Susie Kirby||3 days||Shar Pei-pit bull mixes (2)||A mother left her infant "for a few seconds" on a sofa, and her brother's two male dogs, which she thought were tied up outside, entered through an open door and attacked the infant. The mother heard screaming and ran to rescue the baby. Susie Kirby died at the hospital. The dogs were surrendered to the Central California SPCA to be euthanized.|
|July 14||Seba Dalkai, Arizona||Kayden Begay||3 years||Pack of pitbulls (12)||The victim's aunt went out to get the cattle and, unknowingly, her young nephew followed her. She saw a pack of the neighbor's dogs gathering and went over to see what it was, then found the child. Locals had been complaining for a while about roving aggressive dogs.|
|July 16||Detroit, Michigan||Elizabeth Rivera||71 years||pit bull (1-4)||Victim was found dead in her home by a family member. There were four pit bulls in the home and it is unknown whether one or more of the dogs were involved in the attack. Animal control removed all four dogs.|
|July 29||Kalihi, Hawaii||Crisencio Aliado||52 years||pit bull mixes (2)||The homeless victim was mauled to death while washing his clothes in a stream. The dogs were returned to the owners despite nearby businesses and residents saying the dogs had gotten out before and been involved in previous attacks.|
|August 1||Screven County, Georgia||Michelle Wilcox||30 years||pit bull||Victim mauled by a dog in her home while the dog's owner, her boyfriend, was at work. The dog was euthanized by the owner.|
|August 17||Las Vegas, Nevada||Derion Stevenson||9 years||pit bull||Victim had gone to his friend's house for some candy. When the front door was opened, the dog attacked. The dog was euthanized.|
|August 19||Jacksonville, Florida||Michael Downing||83 years||Rottweiler mix, German Shepherd mix, Chow Chow mix||Elderly man killed by a pack of four dogs that had escaped their yard.|
|August 29||Conifer, Colorado||Susan Shawl||60 years||pit bull (2)||Victim was attacked in the face by her son's dogs. He tried to pull the dogs off, and was also bitten. The dogs were euthanized the following day by permission from the owner.|
|August 31||College Station, Texas||Baby Jane Doe||6 days||Unspecified||Victim died after an incident with the family dog. The dog was surrendered and later euthanized.|
|September 24||Topeka, Kansas||Piper Dunbar||2 years||pit bull (2)||Victim was found dead in her own yard by police after receiving a call about the child being missing. The mother sued DCF and the contracted foster agency for moving the child back into the father's home after previously removing the child from there.|
|October 23||Sherman Township, Michigan||Kiyana McNeal||4 years||Doberman Pinscher||Child killed by 3 year old dog they had purchased minutes earlier; the mother tried to intervene, but was unable to stop the attack. The dog was later scheduled to be euthanized.|
|October 25||New York City, New York||Daisie Bradshaw||68 years||German Shepherd mix or pit bull mix (2)||Woman was killed in her home by her daughter's two dogs. The daughter blamed her mother for her own death. Media reports variously reported the dogs' breeds as pit bull mix and German Shepherd mix. However, animal control labelled them as "Am Pit Bull Ter Mix" and posted their photos. The two dogs were x-rayed to determine stomach contents.|
|December 2||Huntington, West Virginia||Isaiah Franklin||6 years||pit bull||The victim was playing a video game when the family dog attacked him unprovoked.|
|December 16||Grover Beach, California||David Fear||68 years||Belgian Malinois||The dog attacked an elderly woman and Fear was killed by the dog when he tried to intervene to stop the attack. The dog had escaped the owner's property. The woman survived the attack. The dog's owner, former officer Alex Geiger, is on trial for involuntary manslaughter and failing to maintain control of a dangerous animal resulting in injury or death.|
Fatalities reported in 2017
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 17||San Marcos, Texas||Skylar Julius||2 months||German Shepherd||The baby girl was attacked by the family dog while the father was sleeping.|
|January 17||Atlanta, Georgia||Logan Braatz||6 years||pit bull mix (2)||Three children were attacked by two dogs on their way to school. The six year old died, a five year old girl was gravely injured and an older child got away with minor injuries. The dogs' owner was charged with felony involuntary manslaughter.|
|February 13||Queens, New York||Louise Hermida||75 years||Mastiff-Great Dane mix||Louise was attacked by the family dog in the basement of her home.|
|February 16||Clarksville, Tennessee||Unknown||5 years||English Mastiff (2)||The child was attacked by two family dogs. The identify of the child was not publicly reported.|
|February 26||Quincy, Illinois||Jamie Owsley||21 years||pit bull||Victim was bitten on the neck by one of the three dogs owned by roommate and cousin, Talburt. Five months later Talburt attacked another man and allowed his dogs to bite that man in the face. Talburt was sentenced to fifteen years in a plea deal for the second attack and a slew of related charges.|
|February 28||Los Angeles, California||Valentin Herrera||76 years||pit bull (2)||Victim was attacked on Feb 2 by a neighbor's two unlicensed dogs when the dogs attacked and killed victim's Pomeranian, and while the dogs' owner watched and did nothing to help. The dogs had previously killed another dog and the neighbors were in fear of the dogs. Victim died after three weeks in a coma, never regaining consciousness. The owner later tried to reclaim his dogs.|
|March 23||Lusby, Maryland||Jase Patrick Fohs||8 months||pit bull||Family dog of six years attacked the victim, unprovoked. Police arrived while the attack was still underway and shot/killed the dog. Victim's name was only mentioned in a GoFundMe post linked from various news articles.|
|April 6||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma||Cecille Short||82 years||pit bull (2)||Short was attacked by two dogs that escaped their yard while she was walking her own dog in her neighborhood.|
|April 25||Dayton, Ohio||Maurice Brown||60 years||pit bull||Victim was walking in an alley when he was attacked by a dog that had broken from its chain. Police arrived during the attack and killed the dog. They also confiscated three other pit bulls from the owner's property. The caretaker of the dogs was charged with a misdemeanor.|
|April 27||Upper Macungie Township, Pennsylvania||Lisa Green||32 years||pit bull-Boxer mix||Green was attacked by her own dog on her second-floor deck. A neighbor heard her scream for help and unsuccessfully attempted to intervene by hitting the dog with a ham bone and poking it with a wooden board; eventually an off-duty police officer living nearby fatally shot the dog. Green died in the hospital and the dog was euthanized. Investigators with the state's dog law office later learned the dog had bitten someone before, but it had not been reported, so it was never placed on the state's dangerous dog list.|
|May 1||Asheville, North Carolina||Jane Egle||59 years||Boerboel||Egle, who was a dog breeder, was found dead in her house with injuries that are consistent with a dog attack. She was found dead by her daughter who described one of the six dogs that were in her mother's house as "extremely aggressive". All six dogs were South African Boerboels and all six were not properly socialized and had aggression issues.|
|May 8||Las Vegas, Nevada||Kamiko Dao Tsuda-Saelee||6 months||pit bull||Victim was playing in a baby walker when the mother went to the bathroom. Upon returning, she found her pet dog of nine years biting the baby.|
|May 12||Redding, Connecticut||Sandra Keiser||71 years||mixed-breed dog||Keiser was attacked by her own dog in her home.|
|May 25||Grand Rapids, Michigan||Susannah Murray||3 weeks||pit bull (3)||The baby was left alone "for five minutes" with three dogs; one of the three dogs attacked her.|
|June 1||Virginia Beach, Virginia||Margaret Colvin||90 years||pit bull||Elderly victim had fallen and the dog attacked. The dog had been adopted just hours before from a rescue's adoption center. The dog had been an owner surrender due to biting a child and the rescue was known for obtaining violent dogs from kill-shelters and rehoming them in mere hours. This dog had a bite history and had been sent for training/rehabilitation for 2-3 months, but it didn't work. He was adopted out two more times, and returned, before being adopted to the victim's family. Because of this death, Virginia passed a law requiring disclosure of a dog's bite history upon adoption.|
|June 9||Phoenix, Arizona||Marcos Raya Jr.||18 months||Rottweiler||Marcos was attacked by the family dog while her grandmother was doing laundry.|
|June 27||Bozeman, Montana||Melissa Barnes||65 years||pit bull mix (1) and Bull Terrier (1)||Victim was working in her yard when the tenant's kids exited the house with the dogs. Victim was attacked by the pit bull and the other joined in. Dogs were surrendered, euthanized and tested for rabies.|
|July 11||Whitley City, Kentucky||Vinson Tucker||79 years||Unspecified (4+)||Victim found dead outside a wrecker tow yard. Camera footage showed the dogs which attacked him. All of the dogs were euthanized and sent for rabies testing.|
|July 20||Fostoria, Ohio||Michael Parks||60 years||pit bull||Victim's pit bull ran off his property and attacked another pit bull being walked on leash. Victim tried to break up the ensuing fight but was bitten near his dialysis shunt, causing profuse bleeding.|
|July 27||El Paso, Texas||Jacob Brooks||4 years||German Shepherd mix (3), pit bull mix (1)||Jacob was attacked by four family dogs while left unattended on the trampoline in the backyard.|
|August 1||Hartwell, Georgia||Paris Adams||20 months||pit bull (2)||Grandmother and her young grandson were bowled over by two of their dogs which then attacked the child. Grandmother had previously been cited multiple times for disorderly animals. Grandmother was charged, and ultimately sentenced to 10 years' probation under a plea deal. The dogs were confiscated.|
|August 6||Bangor, Maine||Unknown||3 weeks||Husky-German Shepherd mix||The baby boy was attacked by the family dog while sleeping in his crib.|
|August 19||Houston, Texas||Michael Obergas||8 weeks||Giant Schnauzer mix (1), Labrador Retriever mix (1)||The baby boy was killed by the two family dogs while in his crib. The parents had stepped away and one of the dogs was able to open the door to the room. Both dogs were euthanized.|
|August 26||Fountain, Florida||Alicia Malagon||76 years||pit bull||Victim was killed by her daughter's and son-in-law's dog that she was tending while the owners were out of town. Before passing out, victim was able to place a call for help. The dog was quarantined.|
|August 27||Lake Worth, Florida||Grace Walks||41 years||pit bull (1) and American Bulldog (1)||Victim was killed by two family dogs on her property. Both were euthanized.|
|September 20||Neshoba County, Mississippi||Connie Storey||61 years||pit bull||Connie was attacked by her son's dog when she went outside to feed it. The dog was euthanized.|
|September 20||Mount Vernon, Ohio||Barrett Hagans||1 month||pit bull||Father woke up to discover his dog had mauled the child. Two dogs from the home were euthanized.|
|September 28||Cherry Log, Georgia||Kathy Sue Nichelson||61 years||pit bull||Victim was attacked by her friend's dog when she arrived at the friend's residence. A passerby tried to render aid, was also bitten, escaped to safety and called 911. The dog was shot and killed when it approached responders aggressively. There had been complaints to animal control of an aggressive dog at the residence, and the dog had acted aggressively towards somebody at the residence the same morning.|
|October 21||Lowell, Massachusetts||Javien Candelario||7 years||pit bulls (2)||Javien walked up to an enclosure to pet the two dogs, he was grabbed and dragged over the fence and into the enclosure where he was horrifically mauled. Five police responded, too late to save the boy but soon enough to be traumatized by witnessing the mauling. The police tried to shoot the dogs, one jumped the fence and ran a mile before being cornered and shot.|
|October 30||Hartman, Arkansas||Sharon Lindemann||75 years||Unknown||Victim was discovered laying dead in her driveway by her sister.|
|November 3||Cleveland, Ohio||Sophia Booth||2 weeks||German Shepherd||The baby girl was killed by the family dog in her bedroom.|
|November 4||Hamlet, North Carolina||David Baber||65 years||pit bull (1), mixed-breed dog (1)||Baber was killed by two of his dogs in the backyard of his home. He owned three other dogs and lived alone. A neighbor attempted to stop the attack by throwing bricks at the dogs.|
|November 29||Guntersville, Alabama||Tracy Cornelius||46 years||pit bull (4)||Cornelius and her friend were attacked by four dogs belonging to a relative; her friend survived, but sustained serious injuries. The attack occurred on the dog owner's property, which was not fenced and contained a beware of dog sign. At least one dog was contained by way of a leash. There are no ordinances requiring leashes or fences in the area. Seven pit bulls in all were captured or killed by police; all but one belonged to the owner. No charges have been filed.|
|December 1||Gaffney, South Carolina||Korbin Williams||8 years||mixed-breed dog (3)||Korbin and his friend were walking in his neighborhood when they were attacked by three dogs. Korbin was pronounced dead at the scene; the other child was taken to a hospital for bites to his leg. Korbin was familiar with the dogs, played with them daily, and had just fed them before the attack. His mother was caring for the dogs while their owner was out of town and they escaped from a fence.|
|December 7||Jackson County, Alabama||Emily Colvin||24 years||pit bull (5)||Victim was killed and another woman injured when five dogs from her neighbor's house attacked them while walking. Subsequently, the dog's owners were both charged with misdemeanor homicide, four of the dogs were ordered to be euthanized, and Alabama lawmakers passed a bill (Emily's Law) imposing felony charges on owners of dogs that seriously injure or kill someone.|
|December 11||Alsip, Illinois||Dorothy Ford||76 years||pit bull||Ford was attacked by a 6-year-old dog in the back yard of the home where she lived. The dog acted aggressively towards police officers at the scene and was killed.|
|December 14||Goochland County, Virginia||Bethany Stephens||22 years||pit bull (2)||Stephens was attacked by her two dogs while taking them for a walk in a wooded area near her father's house. Her father says the dogs appeared to be "guarding" her body when he found them; deputies witnessed the dogs eating her remains. Due to circumstances in her life, she had left her dogs in the care of her father who, according to reports, had neglected the dogs. The county sheriff states they "went from being inside dogs doted on by Stephens to living outside in a kennel" and "[they] became more isolated and only had contact with each other". The two dogs were 2½-year-old males from the same litter, and one had been rescued by Stephens from an abusive situation. Both have been euthanized with the family's permission.|
|December 20||Phoenix, Arizona||Carol Harris||69 years||Akita||Victim was attacked at a dog boarding facility while working to rehab a dog for an Akita rescue she worked with. The dog was euthanized and sent for rabies testing.|
|December 24||Arjay, Kentucky||Lorraine Saylor||66 years||pit bull (2)||Victim was killed by a neighbor's two loose dogs outside her home. The victim's husband was also later attacked; he shot both, killing one. The second dog was put down by the Sheriff's Dept and Animal Shelter when it returned to its home. The owner of the dogs was in jail at the time of the attack on unrelated charges; he was charged with harboring a vicious animal.|
|December 28||Modesto, California||Deborah Onsurez||56 years||pack of 7 dogs of mixed breeds including Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Queensland Heeler, Labrador Retriever, and pit bull||Onsurez was killed by a pack of seven stray dogs of various breeds and mixed breeds while outside near the driveway of a business.|
Fatalities reported in 2018
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 9||Ouachita Parish, Louisiana||Laura Ray||53 years||Pit bull||Laura was killed by the dog at a pet boarding facility, Happy Hounds Hotel, where she worked. It was the dog's first stay at the facility; its owner later said the dog had never done anything like that before. The dog was euthanized later that week.|
|January 14||Duncan, Oklahoma||Rylee Dodge||3 years||Pit bull||Rylee was killed in her own home by a dog her family had acquired only five days earlier.|
|February 15||Owensboro, Kentucky||David Brown||46 years||pit bull||The 90# dog attacked the other family dog, a Beagle. Brown and his wife Dana tried to break up the fight and the dog attacked them. David Brown died of cardiac arrest complicated by dog attack, and Dana was injured. Police shot the pit bull and tasered the Beagle. A Dachshund in the household was also injured with dog bites.|
|March 7||Jonesville, Virginia||Aurora Little||8 days||Malamute-Wolf hybrid mix||The baby girl was mauled and killed while she was in her bassinet by the 3-year-old family dog.|
|March 9||Cape Girardeau, Missouri||Loxli Chavez||13 months||Mixed-breed dog or pit bull mix||Loxli was at babysitter Erica Jordan's home when she was attacked by her neutered male dog, which bit into the infant's skull and continued attacking as Jordan struggled to stop it. Though the dog was described by Jordan's brother as "part pit bull, Labrador and Malamute" mix it was called a "pit bull mix" by Jordan herself on multiple occasions, including in 2016 when the same dog bit her own 6 yr old son. Jordan pled guilty and was sentenced to four years in prison for Involuntary Manslaughter-2nd Degree.|
|March 25||Converse, Texas||Noah Trevino||4 years||pit bull mix||The boy was playing in the backyard of his home when the family dog attacked and killed him. The dog was tethered at the time of the attack and was described as a "pit bull mix" by a family member, and as a "mixed large-breed dog" by Bexar County Animal Control who seized the dog and intends to euthanize it.|
|March 25||Milwaukee, Wisconsin||Hong Saengsamly||49 years||Pit bull||Victim was killed by her own dog. Her adult son discovered her body later.|
|May 5||Sherman Oaks, California||Gaia Nova||3 months||Rottweiler (1), Labrador Retriever (1)||The baby girl was attacked and killed by a family dog when her grandmother left the room to get a bottle. The family had three dogs - a Rottweiler (100 lbs), a Labrador Retriever (100 lbs), and a small terrier (10 lbs). Authorities are not sure which of the three dogs is responsible, but it is likely that one (or both) of the family's larger dogs was responsible (Rottweiler and/or Labrador Retriever).|
|May 10||Ardmore, Oklahoma||Tracy Garcia||52 years||Dachshund-Terrier mixes (6) Dachshund-Border Collie mix (1)||The woman was attacked and killed by her neighbor's seven dogs. The dogs were described as 6 Dachshund-Terrier mixes and one Dachshund-Border Collie mix. While news sources describe the dogs as a number of Dachshund and Terrier mixes, the exact breed(s) of the dogs remains unknown.|
|May 16||Gulfport, Mississippi||Georgia Morgan||75 years||Pit bulls (2)||Attacked by neighbor's dogs. The neighbor, Emily Craft, was later arrested on charges of "dog at large" and "vicious animal," and the dogs were euthanized.|
|May 24||Altoona, Pennsylvania||Gauge Allen Eckenrode||6 years||Pit bull||The victim was attacked outside the house by the family dog.|
|May 30||Miramar, Florida||Liana Valino||8 months||Pit bull||Infant attacked by family dog while in a bouncy chair at her grandmother's house. The dog, along with two others in the household, was seized.|
|June 10||Forest Park, Georgia||Paige Bradley||5 months||German Shepherd||The baby girl was mauled and killed by the babysitter's dog while the infant was asleep. The babysitter was also asleep in another room when the incident occurred. The babysitter was a family friend and the dog had been around the baby since it was born.|
|June 21||Huntingtown, Maryland||Jenna Sutphin||28 years||Dogo Argentino||Jenna was attacked and killed by one of her dogs, a Dogo Argentino that she owned with her fiance. She was found outside of her home early in the morning and died later that day as a result of her injuries. Her fiance is a K-9 officer and they owned two Dogo Argentinos (both family dogs) that were being used as a breeding pair. The dog that attacked Jenna was shot and killed by a responding Maryland State Police trooper.|
|June 25||Arcata, California||Donald Steele||91 years||Mixed-breed dog||Victim and his son's girlfriend were attacked in a park by a dog owned by victim's son.|
|July 8||Montgomery, Alabama||Joseph Pettaway||51 years||Belgian Malinois||The man was killed by a police K9 unit when police were responding to a burglary-in-progress call. The man was believed to be burglarizing a house when the K9 unit entered the house and attacked him.|
|July 17||Jacksonville, Florida||Jaelah Smith||6 years||pit bull mix||Jaelah was attacked on Sunday, July 15 by a dog that her family was dog sitting and she died of her injuries several days later. The family was watching the dog while its owner was on vacation.|
|August 1||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||Javon Torres||2 years||Pit bulls (3)||Victim was attacked by three dogs in his home while under the care of a babysitter.|
|August 4||Chicago, Illinois||Karen Brown||57 years||Pit bull||Victim was attacked by a loose dog that had been kept in an unfenced backyard by owners who kept multiple dogs in crates |
|August 9||Montgomery County, North Carolina||Olga Rekhson||64 years||Pit bulls (2)||Victim went for a walk. She was discovered a few hours later, deceased on the side of an unused road within the development.|
|August 18||Rocky Mount, North Carolina||Gurney Walker||75 years||Pit bull||Victim was found dead at a home with injuries inflicted by a dog. Victim had been staying at the home of the owner of the dog.|
|August 22||Cincinnati, Ohio||Della Riley||42 years||mixed-breed dog||Victim was attacked and killed by her own dog in her home.|
|September 3||Columbia, Maryland||Robin Conway||64 years||Pit bull||Victim was killed in her backyard by a dog she had adopted just two weeks previously.|
|September 6||Mount Shasta, California||Teena Mawhorter||74 years||Pit bull mix or collie-terrier mix||Elderly victim was attacked and killed by the family dog while sitting in her kitchen when she reached under the table to pet the dog.|
|September 9||Baker City, Oregon||Mitchelle Dean Segerdahl||53 years||Pit bulls (6)||Victim was attacked by one or many of his six dogs in his home. By the time police arrived, two of the dogs were dead from fighting each other.|
|October 1||Las Vegas, Nevada||Susan Sweeney||58 years||Mastiff-Presa Canario mix||Susan was attacked and killed by a dog that she had recently adopted from a shelter. Her husband found her body in their home and called the police to report the incident. The dog was euthanized after the police completed the investigation.|
|October 5||Clearwater, Florida||Khloe Williams||7 months||Retriever-hound mix or pit bull mix||The baby girl was killed while being babysat by her "foster grandmother". The woman had opened the dog's kennel to let it outside but it ran towards the baby and attacked. The woman called her son (a police officer) and then her husband (a retired officer and the dog's owner) before being instructed to call 911. The baby was pronounced dead at the hospital. The dog was euthanized. The dog, a stray picked up by animal services eight months previously (and then labelled a "pit bull mix"), was adopted even after biting at first meet, and was relabelled a "Retriever-hound" after the fatal attack. There were accusations that the child welfare agency was negligent in placing the child in a home with a prohibited dog, but the dog didn't reside in the foster parent's home.|
|October 12||Alvin, Texas||Denali Gonzalez||2 years||Leopard Cur mix||The child was attacked by the family dog in their backyard and died on the scene from her injuries. The child had gone into the backyard to play with the dog when the attack occurred. A family member immediately called 911 after noticing the attack. The dog was tranquilized when the police arrived and was later euthanized.|
|October 14||Washington, District of Columbia||Angela Smith||55 years||Pit bull||The victim's husband left the home for a 15 minute walk. On returning, he found his wife mauled by the family dog. Victim's mother in law was present in the home, but sleeping in another room. There were no witnesses of the attack. The dog attempted to bite responding officers and was later euthanized.|
|October 27||Greenville, Texas||Kristie Kelley||44 years||Brazilian Mastiff||The victim was home alone when the family dog attacked her on October 23. She was found injured but alive by her husband who called 911 for an ambulance. She was taken to the hospital but passed away four days later on October 27 due to injuries suffered from the attack.|
|October 28||Rocky Mount, North Carolina||Triniti Harrell||1 year old||pit bull mix||Victim was attacked by the family's dog of six years. 911 operator assisted the mother in trying to get the dog off. The dog was ultimately shot by responding officers.|
|November 2||Winchester, Kentucky||April Collins||45 years||Pit bull||Husband arrived home to discover his wife had been attacked by their dog. The victim had been bitten several times previously by the dog; family and friends said the dog had violent tendencies. Victim's husband was charged with first-degree wanton endangerment.|
|November 4||Windsor Township, Pennsylvania||Nora Sharp||19 months||mixed-breed dog||The toddler was attacked by the family dog at home while the parents were present.|
|November 11||Dunnellon, Florida||Cecileigh Garris||5 days||Pit bull||A family dog jumped onto a bed beside its owner's newborn daughter to attack the baby in her bassinet.|
|November 13||Big Prairie Township, Michigan||Sharon Daniels||77 years||Pit bull||Elderly, disabled, wheelchair bound woman was found dead in her home with three pit bulls, one of which bit her.|
|December 10||Robeson County, North Carolina||Esta Currier||73 years||Rottweiler (4)||Deputies responded to a call of dog attack and found the adult victim dead near the road. Two of the victim's grandchildren had also been attacked but were being protected by neighbors. All four dogs were shot by deputies when they attacked responders.|
Fatalities reported in 2019
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 9||Grenada, Mississippi||Dianne Reves||70 years||Labrador Retriever mixes or mixed-breed dogs (7)||Dianne was found dead by a neighbor after being attacked by a pack of seven dogs in her backyard. The dogs were described as large mixed-breed dogs or "mutt-lab-mixed" dogs by sheriff’s department investigators. The dogs belonged to a neighbor that lived nearby. All of the dogs involved were euthanized.|
|January 16||Joshua Tree, California||Lana Bergman||70 years||pit bull (4)||Bergman was attacked and killed by four dogs owned by a couple who parked their converted school bus in her yard. Bergman had been trying to get the family to leave for weeks, sparked by the couple's dogs attacking Bergman's dog, a Lab. Bergman had left voice messages with her brother that she was going to insist that they leave on the same night that she was mauled to death. The investigation is ongoing; the dog owners have not been named.|
|January 21||Amarillo, Texas||Edward Dewitt Stanley||85 years||Shepherd-mix (1) and pit bull mix (1)||Mauled in his driveway, victim was aided by a neighbor with a rubber stick to ward off the two dogs. He died two weeks later. The dogs were seized.|
|January 24||Tucson, Arizona||Patricia Henson||8 months||German Shepherd||The infant girl was reportedly killed by the family dog while the mother slept. The mother was arrested for child abuse as she was intoxicated when the baby was attacked but she was later released as the investigation is still on-going. While the manner of death is still being investigated, the autopsy report describes injuries consistent with a dog attack.|
|February 8||Guthrie, Kentucky||Ashton McGhee||1 year||pit bull mix||Victim was mauled by the grandparent's family dog while playing with a ball on the floor. The grandmother tried to intervene and was also bitten. The dog was euthanized.|
|February 8||Houston, Texas||Elaine Richman||66 years||Doberman Pinscher (2)||The victim trained dogs for a living (specifically Dobermans) and was found dead in her backyard by police with multiple bite wounds on her face and body. The Houston police found her while conducting a welfare check because she had not appeared for her dog training classes in two days. Her two adult dogs were confiscated by authorities and are being held by Houston Animal Control pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.|
|February 9||Anza, California||Angela Johnson||54 years||pit bulls (3)||Victim was hanging laundry in her yard when the dogs attacked. She was on life support for almost two months and died without regaining consciousness. The dogs' owner was arrested on outstanding felony warrants and the dogs were euthanized.|
|February 18||Beaufort County, North Carolina||Brenda Hamilton||77 years||Unknown||Victim suffered severe injuries after being attacked while out walking. She died of her injuries three days later.|
|February 21||Greenville, South Carolina||Nancy Cherryl Burgess-Dismuke||52 years||Boxer mix (2)||Neighbors attempted to stop a mauling of the victim by her own two dogs. According to a witness, the dogs had already amputated one arm and almost fully amputated the other. The dogs were seized by Animal Control.|
|February 26||Pall Mall, Tennessee||Bessie Jill Peterson||88 years||German Shepherds (6)||Elderly victim died from an attack by a pack of dogs that belonged to a neighbor as she was trying to clear a clogged drainage ditch in her backyard. Her sister witnessed part of the attack and was chased. Victim was flown to Vanderbilt Medical Center but passed away. The dogs were all euthanized and the District Attorney is considering criminal charges to the owner.|
|February 27||Lubbock, Texas||Johnnie Mae Garner||88 years||pit bull mixes (6)||Victim was attacked in her backyard by a pack of dogs belonging to a neighbor. The dogs were euthanized and sent for rabies testing, per Texas law on fatal dog attacks.|
|March 5||Salisbury, North Carolina||Jacari Long||6 months||Boxer-pit bull mix||The babysitter put down the baby boy in the living room to go outside to prepare her vehicle for transporting the infant. She heard her mother scream, ran back inside, and the baby was being mauled by her dog. The dog was seized.|
|March 8||High Springs, Florida||Tanner Jayce Kinnamon||2 years||American Staffordshire Terrier mix (1) and American Bulldog mix (1)||Victim and his grandmother went to another family member's house to let out the dogs, which she did daily. Two of the dogs were in the backyard and attacked the child, who was killed. The grandmother tried to intervene and she was also injured. The two dogs involved were surrendered to Animal Services for quarantine and euthanizing, and the other four dogs in the household were seized, to be held until completion of the investigation.|
|March 13||Santa Fe, Texas||Jimmy Lee Grigg||53 years||Mixed breed dogs (3)||Man was attacked by three dogs owned by a relative and died on the way to the hospital. The dogs were confiscated and will likely be euthanized. Earlier the dogs' breeds were said to be "cattle dog mixes" but a newer article mentions "all of the dogs were of mixed breed, including a Heeler and Mastiff mix."|
|March 22||Fresno, California||(Undisclosed)||1 year||Rottweilers (2)||The boy wandered out of the house and was attacked by two dogs which had escaped from digging under their fence. The victim's grandmother suffered injuries trying to stop the dogs; the grandfather was able to stop the attack. The dogs were seized, the owner located, and the dogs were surrendered for euthanasia.|
|March 23||Irving, Texas||Johana Villafane||33 years||pit bulls (2)||Victim was attacked and killed by her own dogs as she walked them. They were in quarantine at a vet's office after biting someone else. Both dogs were shot and killed by responding police.|
- Animal attack
- Beware of the dog
- Coyote attack
- Dingo attack
- Dog bite prevention
- Dogs in the United States
- List of wolf attacks
- Wolf attack
- List of fatal alligator attacks in the United States
- List of fatal bear attacks in North America
- List of fatal cougar attacks in North America
- List of fatal snake bites in the United States
- List of fatal, unprovoked shark attacks in the United States
In other countries:
- Langley, Ricky L. (March 2009). "Human Fatalities Resulting From Dog Attacks in the United States, 1979–2005". Wilderness & Environmental Medicine. 20 (1): 19–25. doi:10.1580/08-WEME-OR-213.1.
- Sacks, Jeffrey J., MD, MPH; Sinclair, Lesliedock, DVM; Gilchrist, Julie, MD; Golab, Gail C., PhD, DVM; Lockwood, Randall, PhD. (September 15, 2000). "Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998" (PDF). JAVMA. 217 (6): 836–40. doi:10.2460/javma.2000.217.836. PMID 10997153. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 11, 2015.
- Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R (2000). "Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998". J Am Vet Med Assoc. 217 (6): 836–40. PMID 10997153.
- Patronek, Gary J.; Sacks, Jeffrey J.; Delise, Karen M.; Cleary, Donald V.; Marder, Amy R. (3 December 2013). "Co-occurrence of potentially preventable factors in 256 dog bite–related fatalities in the United States (2000–2009)". Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 243 (12): 1726–1736. doi:10.2460/javma.243.12.1726 – via avmajournals.avma.org (Atypon).
- "Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996". wonder.cdc.gov.
- Sacks, Jeffrey J.; Sattin, Richard W.; Bonzo, Sandra E. (2015). "Dog Bite-Related Fatalities From 1979 Through 1988". JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 141 (5): 428. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2015.0540. PMID 25996397.
- Sacks, Jeffrey J.; Lockwood, Randall; Hornreich, Janet; Sattin, Richard W. (1 June 1996). "Fatal dog attacks, 1989-1994". Pediatrics. American Academy of Pediatrics. 97 (6 Pt 1): 891–895. PMID 8657532 – via PubMed.
- Winkler William G (1977). "Human Deaths Induced By Dog Bites, United States, 1974-75". Public Health Rep. 92 (5): 425–9. PMC 1432043. PMID 910019.
- Langley RL (2009). "Human fatalities resulting from dog attacks in the United States, 1979-2005". Wilderness Environ Med. 20 (1): 19–25. doi:10.1580/08-WEME-OR-213.1. PMID 19364181.
- Bini, John K.; Cohn, Stephen M.; Acosta, Shirley M.; McFarland, Marilyn J.; Muir, Mark T.; Michalek, Joel E. (2011). "Mortality, mauling, and maiming by vicious dogs". Ann Surg. 253 (4): 791–7. doi:10.1097/SLA.0b013e318211cd68. PMID 21475022.
- Pinckney LE, Kennedy LA (1982). "Traumatic deaths from dog attacks in the United States". Pediatrics. 69 (2): 193–6. PMID 7058093.
- "U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities: Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors Over a 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017)". DogsBite.org - Some dogs don't let go.
- Bailey, Chad M.; Hinchcliff, Katharine M.; Pu, Lee L.Q. (2 October 2017). "Abstract: A Review of Dog Bites in the United States from 1958 to 2016: Systematic Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature". Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 5 (9 Suppl). doi:10.1097/01.GOX.0000526413.24099.38. PMC 5636534 – via PubMed Central.
- Alizadeh K, Shayesteh A, Xu ML (2017). "An Algorithmic Approach to Operative Management of Complex Pediatric Dog Bites: 3-Year Review of a Level I Regional Referral Pediatric Trauma Hospital". Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 5 (10): e1431. doi:10.1097/GOX.0000000000001431. PMC 5682160. PMID 29184724.
- Chen HH, Neumeier AT, Davies BW, Durairaj VD (2013). "Analysis of pediatric facial dog bites". Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 6 (4): 225–32. doi:10.1055/s-0033-1349211. PMC 3820741. PMID 24436765.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Kory A. Nelson, Esq., Assistant City Attorney – Senior, Prosecution and Code Enforcement Section, Denver City Attorney’s Office (April 15, 2005). "Denver's Pit Bull Ordinance: A Review of its History and Judicial Rulings"" (PDF).CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Golinko MS, Arslanian B, Williams JK (2017). "Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution". Clin Pediatr (Phila). 56 (4): 316–325. doi:10.1177/0009922816657153. PMID 27400935.
- Smith AM, Carlson J, Bartels AB, McLeod CB, Golinko MS (2018). "Characteristics of Dog Bites in Arkansas". South Med J. 111 (8): 494–500. doi:10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000848. PMID 30075476.
- Hudson, John W.; Foster, Michael D. (1 May 2015). "Contemporary Update on the Treatment of Dog Bite: Injuries to the Oral and Maxillofacial Region". Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 73 (5): 935–942. doi:10.1016/j.joms.2014.12.003. PMID 25795183 – via www.joms.org.
- Essig Jr, Garth F.; Sheehan, Cameron; Rikhie, Shefali; Elmaraghy, Charles A.; Christophel, J. Jared. "Dog bite injuries to the face: Is there risk with breed ownership? A systematic review with meta-analysis". www.sciencedirect.com. doi:10.1016/j.ijporl.2018.11.028.
- Bailey, Chad M.; Hunchcliff, Katherine M.; Moore, Zachary; Pu, Lee. "Dog Bites in the United States from 1971 to 2018: A Systematic Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature".
- O'Brien, Daniel C.; Andre, Tyler B.; Robinson, Aaron D.; Squires, Lane D.; Tollefson, Travis T. "Dog bites of the head and neck: an evaluation of a common pediatric trauma and associated treatment". www.sciencedirect.com. doi:10.1016/j.amjoto.2014.09.001. PMC 4261032. PMID 25311183.
- Brice J, Lindvall E, Hoekzema N, Husak L (2018). "Dogs and Orthopaedic Injuries: Is There a Correlation With Breed?". J Orthop Trauma. 32 (9): e372–e375. doi:10.1097/BOT.0000000000001235. PMID 29912736.
- Holmquist, Laurel; Elixhauser, Anne. "Emergency Department Visits and Inpatient Stays Involving Dog Bites, 2008" (PDF).
- Lambert, Tracy L. "Epidemiology of Animal Bites in the Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Area, 1994-1998". University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth,: ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 1999. 1396926.
- Coben, Jeffrey H.; Friedman, Deborah I.; Weiss, Harold B. (7 January 1998). "Incidence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments". JAMA. 279 (1): 51–53. doi:10.1001/jama.279.1.51 – via jamanetwork.com.
- Czerwinski, Marcin; Abraham, Jasson T. (22 November 2018). "Pediatric Dog Bite Injuries in Central Texas". Journal of Pediatric Surgery. doi:10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.09.022. PMID 30473254 – via www.jpedsurg.org.
- Harnarayana, Patrick; Islama, Shariful; Ramsingha, Christi; Naraynsingha, Vijay. "Pit Bull attack causing limb threatening vascular trauma —A case series". www.sciencedirect.com. doi:10.1016/j.ijscr.2017.11.061. PMC 5730392. PMID 29245098.
- Patronek, GJ (2013). "Co-occurrence of potentially preventable factors in 256 dog bite-related fatalities in the United States (2000–2009)". J Am Vet Med Assoc. 243 (12): 1726–36. doi:10.2460/javma.243.12.1726. PMID 24299544.
- Sacks, Jeffrey; Sinclair, Gilchrist; Golab, Lockwood (September 15, 2000). "Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998" (PDF). JAVMA. 217 (6): 836–40. doi:10.2460/javma.2000.217.836. PMID 10997153. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 11, 2015. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "Dog Bite Prevention". CDC. Archived from the original on May 1, 2013. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Winkler, William (Sep–Oct 1977). "Human Deaths Induced by dog bites, United States, 1974–75". Public Health Reports. 92 (5): 425–9. PMC 1432043. PMID 910019.
- "Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities -- United States, 1995-1996". wonder.cdc.gov.
- Pinckney, Lee; Leslie A. Kennedy (February 1982). "Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States". Pediatrics. 69 (2): 193–6. PMID 7058093.
- "Pit bull mauls toddler - valley, apple, bull - Local News - Victorville Daily Press". web.archive.org. December 28, 2012. Archived from the original on December 28, 2012. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Family dog attacks, kills 3-year-old boy - abc7.com". web.archive.org. April 8, 2017. Archived from the original on April 8, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Miller, Carlin DeGuerin (January 20, 2010). "Chicago man mauled to death by daughter's pit bulls". Chicago, Illinois: CBS News. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "Dog attack leaves man dead in home". Chicago Tribune. January 19, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Ohio woman dies of suspected dog attack". UPI. February 8, 2010. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- Zeltner, Brie (May 18, 2010). "Rottweiler destroyed for mauling owner may have been helping her". Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- "Probe of Terry Fatal Dog Attack Inconclusive". Jackson, Mississippi: WAPT. June 25, 2010. Archived from the original on August 31, 2010. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- "Child killed in pit bull attack". MS News Now. February 12, 2010. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "No grand jury indictment in Terry girl pit bull mauling - WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS:". web.archive.org. September 6, 2011. Archived from the original on September 6, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Child killed in pit bull attack - WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS:". web.archive.org. September 6, 2011. Archived from the original on September 6, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Simons, Abby; Walsh, Paul (February 19, 2010). "71-pound dog bites, kills newborn in Independence". Star Tribune. Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota. Archived from the original on December 5, 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- Salyer, Sharon (September 21, 2010). "Lawsuit blames dog bite in death of Monroe man". Herald Net. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Tsong, Nicole (September 9, 2010). "Family of man who died after dog bite sues dog's owner". Seattle Times. Archived from the original on May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Woman attacked by pit bulls dies". February 20, 2010. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- McCoy, Craig R. (February 21, 2010). "Mother's pit bull kills Fishtown woman". Philadelphia Inquirer. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Lee, Suevon. "Girl, 3, mauled to death by dog". Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "3-year-old mauled to death by family dog". West Palm Beach, Florida: WPBF. February 21, 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "3-year-old girl mauled, killed by pit bull". FloridaToday.com. Archived from the original on August 9, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Parker, Alena (February 23, 2010). "Baby dies from injuries in dog attack". Rockdale Citizen. Newton County, Georgia. Archived from the original on February 28, 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- Tobias, Lori (March 1, 2010). "4-year-old stepdaughter of 'Ax Men' star killed by Rottweiler in Astoria". The Oregonian. Portland, Oregon. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "Woman killed in pit bull attack died from heart failure". WIS-TV. Columbia, South Carolina. March 11, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- Sheets, Cindy (March 11, 2010). "Dogs kill local toddler in attack". The Journal. Perkins, Oklahoma.
- "Mother Sleeps While Pit Bull Kills Her 7-Day-Old Baby". April 14, 2010. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Sullivan, Erin; Thalji, Jamal (April 15, 2010). "Pit bull mix blamed for death of 7-day old New Port Richey infant". St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Florida. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- TIMES, ERIN SULLIVAN & JAMAL THALJIST PETERSBURG. "Mother Sleeps While Pit Bull Kills Her 7-Day-Old Baby". The Ledger. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Pit bull mix blamed for death of 7-day-old New Port Richey infant - St. Petersburg Times". web.archive.org. November 27, 2010. Archived from the original on November 27, 2010. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Halpin, James (May 22, 2010). "Child killed after stepping into dog yard in Napaskiak". Anchorage Daily News. Anchorage, AK. Archived from the original on July 2, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Davis, Christina (June 14, 2010). "Postal Service investigating fatal Rottweiler attack". U-T San Diego. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Toddler killed in San Bernardino pit bull attack". web.archive.org. September 6, 2013. Archived from the original on September 6, 2013. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Boy Killed by Family Pit Bull - NBC Southern California". web.archive.org. October 17, 2015. Archived from the original on October 17, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Lucas, Laurie; Brooks, Richard (May 28, 2010). "Toddler killed by San Bernardino family's pit bull". The Press-Enterprise. San Bernardino, California. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- Smith, Scott (June 5, 2010). "Mauling still remains a mystery". Kokomo Tribune. Kokomo, Indiana. Retrieved July 24, 2010.
- Sims, Tonya (June 16, 2010). "Dogs involved in fatal attack included mix breed of pit bulls, mastiffs, and Rottweiler". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland, Ohio. Retrieved July 24, 2010.
- Burdziak, Alan (March 5, 2012). "Lincoln Park: Dogs in Kyle Holland mauling case euthanized". Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Stemen, Nate (September 25, 2010). "Lincoln Park: Justice sought for 5-year-old mauled boy". The News-Herald. Detroit, Michigan. Retrieved October 10, 2010.
- Callahan, Jody (July 22, 2010). "Woman charged in deadly pit bull attack". The Commercial Appeal. Memphis, Tennessee. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- Callahn, Jody (July 22, 2010). "Woman charged with negligent homicide in Tuesday's pit bull attacks". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "$2.5 million award offered in pit bull attack that killed elderly man". wreg.com. November 22, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Lee, Henry K. (July 23, 2010). "Step-grandfather held in boy's mauling death". San Francisco Chronicle. San Francisco, California. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- Malaika, Fraley. "DA: Concord pit bulls killed three family pets before toddler's fatal mauling". Contra Costa Times. Contra Costa. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- Jones, J. Harry. "Dog mauls toddler to death in Tierrasanta". The San Diego Union-Tribune. San Diego, California. Archived from the original on October 3, 2011. Retrieved August 1, 2010.
- "Woman killed by pit bull pack". Macon, Georgia: WSB-TV. August 21, 2010. Archived from the original on August 23, 2010. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "Man Killed by Two Pit Bulls". Mountain Ranch, California: KXTV. August 23, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Ford, Gina (August 25, 2010). "Boy Dies After Being Mauled by Dogs". Archived from the original on August 9, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Smith, Gary L. (August 25, 2010). "LaSalle boy attacked and killed by dogs on farm". Journal Star. Peoria, Illinois. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Simms, Patricia (August 27, 2010). "Criminal charges unlikely in dog attack". Wisconsin State Journal. Madison, Wisconsin. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Boatwright, Megan (September 4, 2010). "McMinn County woman killed in pit bull attack". Chattanooga, Tennessee: WRCB. Retrieved September 4, 2010.
- "Rev. John Reynolds found dead with severe bite marks". St. Louis, Missouri: KSDK. October 13, 2010. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- "Investigation continuing in dog-mauling death of Jacksonville newborn". Jacksonville, Florida: The Florida Times-Union. October 27, 2010. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Asbury, John (November 16, 2010). "Bites on dead woman match pit bulls". The Press-Enterprise. Riverside, California. Retrieved November 16, 2010.
- Story, Sara. "Pit Bull kills two-year-old, family reacts".
- "East Texas toddler killed by pit bull". Henderson, Texas: KLTV. November 10, 2010. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- Dean, Kenneth (November 11, 2010). "Pit bull kills child in Rusk County". Tyler Morning Telegraph. Tyler, Texas. Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- Tiso, Stephanie (November 15, 2010). "Funeral arrangements set for child mauled to death". Columbus, Georgia: WLTZ. Archived from the original on November 19, 2010. Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- Butz, Dolly A. (November 18, 2010). "Ida Grove woman dies from dog bite". Sioux City Journal. Sioux City, Iowa. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- Brown, Tonya (November 18, 2010). "Police: Man killed by family dog". Conway, South Carolina: WPDE-TV. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- Burge, Sarah (October 15, 2010). "MURRIETA: Pit bull victim critically injured". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Asbury, John (December 9, 2010). "Murrietta aan dies two months after dog attack". The Press Enterprise. Riverside, California. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Holmes, Sue Major (March 30, 2011). "Dog bits killed NM man attacked by pack". Santa Fe New Mexican. Associated Press. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Clausing, Jeri (August 16, 2011). "Stray reservation dogs roam unchecked; attacks common". NBC News. Associated Press. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Clausing, Jeri (August 16, 2011). "Reservation dogs roam unchecked; attacks common". msnbc.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Hewitt, Paige (December 20, 2010). "Mom's precautions fail to stop Rottweiler from mauling baby". Houston Chronicle. Houston, Texas. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Colusa Woman Found Dead, Bitten By Dog". cbslocal.com. January 4, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Dyches, Chris. "Grand jury indicts man in pit bull attack that killed 5-year-old girl". WBTV. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Needham, Nick (June 28, 2012). "Man pleads guilty, sentenced after little girl killed in pitbull attack". WBTV. Charlotte, North Carolina. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Guilty plea in Waxhaw pit bull death". The Charlotte Observer. May 30, 2012. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Dyches, Chris. "One year after girl fatally mauled by pit bull, family gets settlement". WBTV. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- href=, <a. "9-year-old girl attacked, killed by family dog". www.wrdw.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Nine-year-old Edgefield County girl killed by family dog". Augusta, Georgia: WJBF. January 24, 2011. Archived from the original on December 14, 2011. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Dog Bought For Grandchildren Kills 9-Year-Old". WYFF. January 24, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Elkins, Chris (January 26, 2011). "Man dies from dog attack in Pontotoc County". Tupelo, Mississippi: djournal.com. Archived from the original on June 11, 2016. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- Loria, Gaby (July 15, 2012). "Friend steps forward to honor homeless Socorro man killed by dogs". El Paso, Texas: KVIA-TV. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Victim of fatal dog attack identified; autopsy results expected Friday". Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: WMBF-TV. February 22, 2011. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "No charges in dog attack on baby". Grand Rapids, Michigan: WOOD-TV. June 5, 2011. Archived from the original on June 7, 2011. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "San Bernardino woman dies following dog attack". The Sun News. March 9, 2011. Archived from the original on April 6, 2017.
- "Mom asks: How did dogs get out?". Omaha World-Herald. AP. March 8, 2011. Archived from the original on September 5, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2011.
- Steeves, Heather (July 16, 2011). "Police say woman was drunk and high when dog killed her daughter". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Carter Co. man killed in dog attack". April 25, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Miller, Marsha (April 24, 2011). "Local man killed in pit bull attack". Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Matthews, Gan (April 25, 2011). "Pit bull attack kills Carter County man". Tulsa, Oklahoma: KOTV-DT. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "T or C woman dies following dog attack (8:05 a.m.)". April 24, 2011. Archived from the original on January 19, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Sheridan, Michael (April 28, 2011). "Pack of pit bulls kills woman, Margaret Salcedo, in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico: cops". New York Daily News. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Baker, Al; Stelloh, Tim (May 28, 2011). "Boy, 4, Is Mauled to Death by Dog in Brooklyn Home". The New York Times. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "4-Year-Old Brooklyn Boy Killed In Dog Attack". May 28, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Parr, Rebecca (July 17, 2013). "Hayward to pay $1.5 million to settle police dog attack suit". Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Lee, Henry (July 17, 2013). "Hayward to pay family of victim of police dog bite". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Fredericksburg.com - Dog blamed in man's death". archive.fo. April 11, 2013. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Dog blamed in man's death". Fredericksburg.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Epps, Keith (June 15, 2011). "Dog blamed in man's death". The Free Lance-Star. Fredericksburg, Virginia. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Schoettler, Jim (June 15, 2011). "Putnam County man mauled by pit bulls dies". The Florida Times-Union. Jacksonville, Florida. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Putnam County man Roy McSweeney dies after being mauled by dogs - Gainesville.com". web.archive.org. August 3, 2011. Archived from the original on August 3, 2011. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Dixon, Drew. "Owner of Putnam pit bulls that killed elderly man pleads guilty to 4 charges". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Dutton, Nick (July 8, 2011). "Source: Medical Examiner rules baby's dog bite death accidental". CBS 6, Richmond, VA. Archived from the original on July 11, 2011. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Updated: Baby's death ruled accidental, dog euthanized". Richmond Times-Dispatch. July 15, 2011. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- McKelway, Bill (December 29, 2012). "Investigation continues in fatal dog attack in Chesterfield". Richmond Times Dispatch. Richmond, VA. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "6-month-old boy dies after being bitten by dog in Chesterfield". Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Terry, Lynne (July 5, 2011). "Family dog kills 11-month-old during July 4th gathering in Nehalem". The Oregonian. Portland, Oregon. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Sole pit bull responsible for killing woman, experts say". The San Francisco Examiner. August 15, 2011. Archived from the original on August 15, 2012. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- Tugman, Lindsey (August 17, 2011). "James Dowling dies after Rottweiler attack". Little Rock, Arkansas: KTHV. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Pit bull attack victim dies". Tucson, Arizona: KVOA. August 13, 2011. Archived from the original on July 1, 2012. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "NC mother arrested in fatal infant dog attack". WMBF News. August 31, 2011. Archived from the original on December 29, 2011.
- Dineen, Caitlin (January 23, 2013). "Charges dropped in Bladen County child death by dog mauling case". The Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Stamm, Dan; Bayliss, Kelly; Madison, Elyse (September 2, 2011). "Woman Mauled by Pit Bulls: Medical Examiner". Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: WCAU. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- Hassan, Anita (September 5, 2011). "Newborn dead after family dog attacks". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Newborn killed by dog in Cypress". Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- "Authorities identify newborn killed by dog". Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- "Valley View Woman Killed in Dog Attack". Sherman, Texas: KXII. September 30, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Misur, Susan (October 17, 2012). "West Haven pit bull owner gets no jail time in fatal mauling of toddler". New Haven Register. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- Musa, Aziza (October 4, 2011). "Mom unsure how pit bull grabbed baby". Amarillo Globe-News. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "South Houston woman, 71, attacked by pit bull dogs". Houston, Texas: KPRC-TV. November 11, 2011. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Charges unlikely in fatal pit bull attack". Houston, Texas: KPRC-TV. November 16, 2011. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Dog kills owner in White County home". Indianapolis, Indiana: WISH-TV. December 7, 2011. Archived from the original on April 12, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Kolkey, Jeff (December 7, 2011). "Animal Services: pit bulls attacked Rockford woman". Rockford Register Star. Archived from the original on December 12, 2011. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Woman Dies Following November Dog Attack/Seizure". Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "Pit bull attacks and kills woman". The Valdosta Daily Times. December 9, 2011. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Boyd, Gordon (January 3, 2013). "Neighbors split over pit bull's fate; owner's mother dies after being bitten". Chattanooga, Tennessee: WRCB. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Mother, daughter found guilty in pit bull attack that led to neighbor's death". San Diego, California: KGTV. February 11, 2013. Archived from the original on May 21, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Woman sentenced in fatal pit bull mauling". U-T San Diego. March 11, 2013. Archived from the original on August 9, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Horswell, Cindy (January 17, 2012). "Grandmother of toddler killed by pit bull hospitalized for shock". Houston Chronicle. Houston, Texas. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- Gebbia, Kim (January 31, 2012). "6 year old killed by service dog that attacked". Nashville, Tennessee: WTVF. Archived from the original on December 29, 2012. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Dog Fatally Bites Baby While Mom in Bathroom: Police". Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: WCAU. AP. February 17, 2012. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Stagle, Eric (January 15, 2013). "Mother of McKeesport boy killed by dog pleads guilty". The Daily News. McKeesport, Pennsylvania. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- Jones, J. Harry (March 8, 2012). "Postal worker dies from stroke after bitten by pit bull". U-T San Diego. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Postal Worker Who Died After Dog Attack ID'd". 10News.com. City News Service contributed. September 3, 2012. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
died from complications of a stroke she suffered immediately after getting attacked by a pit bull...An autopsy determined that the cause of her death was a hemorrhagic stroke, with contributing factors of cardiovascular disease and dog bites to her legs, the coroner reported....
- Schoettler, Jim (March 9, 2012). "Jacksonville 17-month-old killed by neighbor's Rottweiler". The Florida Times-Union. Jacksonville, Florida. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "Missing boy found dead may be victim of dog attack". Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Homer, Michele (March 26, 2012). "4-year-old reportedly killed by pit bull in Victoria". Houston, Texas: KHOU. Archived from the original on February 18, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Sheriff: Boy, 4, appears to have been mauled to death by dog". Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- Shanahan, Kristen (April 10, 2012). "Elderly Bryan Co. man killed by neighborhood dogs". Sherman, Texas: KXII. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Knapp, Andrew; Fennell, Edward (April 21, 2012). "Infant boy killed when mauled by family dog in Ridgeville as father slept". The Post and Courier. Charleston, South Carolina. Retrieved February 23, 2012.
- Gaskins, Nikki; Bainum, Stefanie (May 3, 2012). "Mother of mauled infant stands by husband charged w/ neglect". Charleston, South Carolina: WCIV. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Takahashi, Paul (April 28, 2012). "First birthday ends in tragedy when family dog attacks and kills boy". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Roesler, Nico (May 8, 2012). "Dog put down after fatal attack". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved February 23, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Man found dead; pit bull may be responsible". The Santa Fe New Mexican. May 2, 2012.
- "Dog put down after fatal attack". The Santa Fe New Mexican. May 8, 2012.
- "Grandparents, father charged in dog mauling death of Las Cruces toddler". Albuquerque, New Mexico: KOB-TV. September 11, 2012.
- "Surprise woman attacked by Pit bulls in October dies". AZfamily.com. May 17, 2012. Archived from the original on May 21, 2012.
- "Neighbor: Dog attack victim in terrible pain". 4WSMV-TV Nashville. October 12, 2011. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016.
- Kistner, Kevin (June 4, 2012). "Pit bull that killed 3-day old infant has been euthanized". Toledo, Ohio: WNWO-TV. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Family dog attacks, kills 3-day-old infant". Archived from the original on May 17, 2013. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Deputies suspect man killed by dog". Durham, North Carolina: WTVD. May 29, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Dog owner charged in man's death". Durham, North Carolina: WTVD. August 16, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "2-year-old dead after apparent dog attack; Aunt says they thought boy was napping". Charleston, South Carolina: WCIV. May 29, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Bowers, Paul (June 6, 2012). "Police: 2-year-old JaMarr Tiller was mauled by at least two dogs". Charleston City Paper. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Craig, Jolene (June 26, 2012). "Dogs responsible for mauling of child euthanized". The Parkersburg News and Sentinel. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Dogs responsible for mauling of child euthanized - NewsandSentinel.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel". web.archive.org. March 4, 2016. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Do not adopt aggressive dogs - News, Sports, Jobs - News and Sentinel". newsandsentinel.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Davis, Kristina (June 19, 2012). "Mother grieves after baby's fatal dog bite". U-T San Diego. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Schiavone, Renee (February 14, 2013). "Lemon Grove Pit Bull Mauling of 8-month-old Ruled Accidental". Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "Victim ID'd in Suspicious Death Involving Dog". KOLOtv.com. July 3, 2012. Archived from the original on July 11, 2012.
- "Man Killed by Pit Bull in Washoe County, Nevada - from Police report". DogsBite.org. December 15, 2012.
- "Police ID man who died after being attacked by dog". Cincinnati, Ohio: WXIX. July 12, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "SPCA: Dog that killed owner was a rare breed". Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Boone, Christian (August 16, 2012). "Police: Canine rescuer killed by dogs". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "DeKalb woman killed in home by pet dog". WSB-TV 2 Atlanta. August 16, 2012. Archived from the original on August 31, 2015.
- Horng, Eric (August 16, 2012). "Death of man mauled by dogs rule accidental". Chicago, Illinois: WLS-TV. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Trotwood dog attack leaves owner dead". 2News wdtn.com. September 4, 2012. Archived from the original on March 24, 2013.
- "Family speaks out after woman attacked by dogs". WHIO-TV. September 5, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Montonaro, Julie (September 18, 2012). "[Update] Boy Dead After Dog Attack in Southwest Georgia". WCTV Gray Television, Inc. – Copyright © 2002–2013. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
CORRECTION: The child's name is Bryton Cason, not Brayton Cason. The spelling provided by the sheriff's office was inaccurate.
- Houston, Ryan; Abel, Stephen (September 9, 2012). "Update: ga 4-year-old killed in dog attack". Albany, Georgia: WALB. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Montanaro, Julie (September 18, 2012). "[Update] Boy Dead After Dog Attack in Southwest Georgia". WCTV (Associated Press). Retrieved May 25, 2013.
Neighbors believe a reddish-blonde bulldog that was abandoned in the neighborhood may be to blame. Yet the sheriff says no one witnessed the attack or heard it....The sheriff says they caught that reddish-blonde bulldog at about 4:30 Friday afternoon. He says investigators are now trying to figure out what to do next, whether it's possible to do any DNA testing or an autopsy to try to confirm whether it's the dog that killed Brayton.
- Manley, Marci (September 14, 2012). "Update: Autopsy reveals owner attacked by pit bulls died from loss of blood". Little Rock, Arkansas: KARK-TV. Archived from the original on January 17, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Hampton, Jeff (September 15, 2012). "Dog that killed N.C. boy euthanized; charges possible". The Virginian-Pilot. Norfolk, Virginia. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- McNamara, Anne (September 12, 2012). "Infant killed by family dog". Archived from the original on November 26, 2012. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- Britzius, Brianne (September 25, 2012). "Funeral held for Leeds dog attack victim". Birmingham, Alabama: WBRC. Archived from the original on July 6, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Boyd, Deanne (September 25, 2012). "Burlson infant dies after mauling by dog". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Wells, Jesse (September 27, 2012). "Pit bull mauls OKC grandmother to death". KFOR-TV. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Overfelt, Abbi. "Dogs attack, kill woman". Archived from the original on October 17, 2012. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Dogs put down after woman mauled to death". Baton Rouge, Louisiana: WAFB. November 1, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "3-Week-Old Girl Mauled To Death By Pit Bull In Detroit". Detroit, Michigan: WWJ-TV. October 5, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Postal Carrier Dies After Vicious Dog Attack". MyFoxPhilly.com. October 18, 2012. Archived from the original on October 21, 2012.
- Hewlett, Michael (December 5, 2012). "No charges in dog attack on Yedkin infant, sheriff says". Winston-Salem Journal. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Cleaning woman mauled by bull dogs ID'd". San Diego, California: KSWB-TV. November 17, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- "Fallbrook woman mauled by dogs ID'd". San Diego, California: XETV. November 19, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Ramsey, Debbie. "Investigation continues into fatal dog attack case". Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- Thayer, Kate (November 24, 2012). "Police: West suburban firefighter killed by her dog". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- Matlosz, Felicia (December 19, 2012). "Man found mauled to death by dogs near Selma identified". The Sentinel. Hanford, California. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Greenwood, Angela (December 12, 2012). "Man Killed in Pit Bull Attack in Selma, Neighbors Say Dogs Had Violent History". Archived from the original on May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Woman in Miami Co. dog mauling in serious condition". WHIO TV7. November 29, 2012.
- "Two arrested in third dog attack fatality in 17 months". February 7, 2014. Retrieved February 9, 2014.
- Plake, Sarah (December 14, 2012). "Dog attack victim identified". Topeka, Kansas: WIBW-TV. Archived from the original on August 7, 2014. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Ramirez, Chris (January 1, 2013). "Navajo Nation struggles with feral dogs". KOB Eyewitness News 4. Archived from the original on September 27, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Susan Montoya Bryan. "Parents of Dead Boy Face Charges". www.abqjournal.com. Associated Press. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Cunningham, Fred (January 10, 2013). "Greenwood County Woman Dead After Dog Attack". Spartanburg, South Carolina: WSPA-TV. Archived from the original on January 16, 2013. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- Dam, Minh (January 20, 2013). "Dog fatally mauls 4-year-old near Conroe". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Schultz, Craig (February 11, 2013). "Hemet: Police say noted artist likely killed by pit bulls". The Press Enterprise. Riverside, California. Archived from the original on February 15, 2013. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- Smith, Cory (February 17, 2013). "Toddler dies after pit bull attack south of San Antonio". San Antonio, Texas: KSAT-TV. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Owner of dog that killed child: 'I want to die instead'". May 3, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Dutton, Matthew (March 3, 2013). "Nielson Elementary school staff grieves boy's death". The Register-Mail. Galesburg, Illinois. Archived from the original on March 7, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- Minor, Chris (June 11, 2013). "No charges in deadly dog attack". Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Johnson, Neil (April 2, 2013). "Walworth authorities release details of fatal pit bull attack". GazetteXtra. Bliss Communications, Inc. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Novak, Bill (March 8, 2013). "Toddler victim identified in fatal dog attack in Walworth County; no charges expected". Wisconsin State Journal. Madison, Wisconsin. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Palladino, Christina (March 5, 2014). "WISN 12 News talks with pit bull owner after toddler attack in Walworth County". WISN-TV. Hearst Stations Inc. on behalf of WISN-TV. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- "daxton borchardt policevet reports". Scribd. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Elrick, Crissie (March 28, 2013). "North Bryan child killed by family dogs; investigation on-going". Bryan County News. Richmond Hill, Georgia. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Figueredo, Lynda. "Autopsy results in toddler pit bull attack death released". Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Teen mom charged in toddler daughter's dog mauling death near Savannah". Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Boy Attacked By Two Pit Bull Mixes Dies". WJHG-TV; Gray Television, Inc. – Copyright © 2002–2013. April 8, 2012. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
Tyler Jett passed away overnight, four days after he was attacked by two pit bull mixes.
- "Bond Increased To $250,000 In Dog Mauling Case". Gray Television, Inc. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
The owner of the two pit bull mixes that police say attacked and killed a 7-year-old boy is now being held on a $250,000 bond.
- "Hundreds mourn 'very special' boy". Archived from the original on April 17, 2013.
...M.J. and Fat Boy, the brindle and Alapaha blue blood bulldogs...
- "City candidates quizzed about dog breed ban". Archived from the original on April 15, 2013.
Alapaha blue blood bulldog and a brindle bulldog
- "Bond Increased To $250,000 In Dog Mauling Case". Gray Television, Inc. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
The owner of the two pit bull mixes" and "Owner of Two Bull Dogs
- "Manslaughter Charge Filed Against Callaway Dog Owner". April 8, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Woman killed in apparent dog attack in Stockton identified". Archived from the original on May 6, 2013.
- "Woman mauled to death by pit bull". April 11, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Stockton Pit Bull That Killed Woman Had History Of Being Aggressive". Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Prairie City girl dies from dog bite injuries; baby sitter charged". Archived from the original on April 25, 2013.
- Brilbeck, Aaron (April 23, 2013). "Child Mauled: Babysitter Charged With Neglect". Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Child dies after she was mauled by a dog". April 24, 2013.
- Elmer, MacKenzie (July 13, 2015). "Babysitter sentenced to prison for fatal dog attack". The Des Moines Register. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Eschliman, Bob (April 24, 2013). "Babysitter charged in Prairie City dog attack death". Newton Daily News. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Neighbors shocked over dog attack that killed toddler". April 25, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Child killed by pit bull in south Fulton County". April 25, 2013. Archived from the original on May 6, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Toddler killed by dog in south Fulton County identified". April 25, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Family dog suspected of killing 2-year-old boy being kept alive for tests". April 26, 2013. Archived from the original on May 6, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "woman-dies-after-being-attacked-family-dog". May 6, 2013. Archived from the original on May 27, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Rachael Honabarger (1977–2013)".
- "Amputee dies after being dragged from wheelchair in pit bull attack". Archived from the original on July 19, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Coroner Amputee pulled from wheelchair, killed by dogs".
- Street, Lindsay (May 21, 2012). "No Charges Will Be Filed in Fatal Mauling Case". Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Street, Lindsay (May 21, 2013). "Photos: Dogs Involved in Fatal Mauling". Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Street, Lindsay (May 21, 2013). "One Dog in Deadly Pack Remains at Large". Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Updated: Dog owner charged with murder in Littlerock mauling death". Antelope Valley Times. May 30, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "Fatal Antelope Valley Mauling Victim Identified; Eight Dogs In Custody". May 10, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- Winton, Richard (May 31, 2013). "Pit bull owner charged with murder had dogs put down in '06". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "Man, 29, Arrested In Connection With Case Of Fatal Pit Bull Mauling". CBS LA. May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Pack of dogs attacks, kills woman in Littlerock". May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Dog owner arrested in pit-bull attack that killed jogger near Palmdale, 8 dogs confiscated". May 9, 2013. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "4 pit bulls blamed for S. Calif. jogger's killing". May 10, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Local dog owner gets 15 to life in mauling death - The Antelope Valley Times". web.archive.org. July 25, 2016. Archived from the original on July 25, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Rudra, Geetika (June 11, 2013). "Boy, 5, Who Survived Oklahoma Tornado Mauled by Bull Mastiff". Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Malave, Ted (June 14, 2013). "Parents of mauling victim speak out". Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Update: 5-year-old dies from dog attack". June 9, 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- Petrimoulx, Drew (June 9, 2013). "5-Year-Old Boy Killed By Bullmastiff in Jessieville". Arkansasmatters.com. Archived from the original on June 14, 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
'The child was putting on some shoes and was crying and upset,' said Garland County Deputy Scott Hinojosa. 'The dog possibly took that as being aggressive and at that time the child was attacked.' Hinojosa said a 50-year-old woman named Lynn Geiling owns the dog with her husband. Lynn told police she tried to pull the dog off the boy, but by the time she got them separated the boy had injuries described by deputies as 'major lacerations' to the head and neck.
- "Mother of Northern Calif. 6-year-old killed by pit bull mix says dog was boy's 'best friend'". The Republic. June 20, 2013. Archived from the original on June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- Lee, Henry (June 19, 2013). "Boy, 6, fatally bitten by relative's dog". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- Neysa Alund, Natalie (June 20, 2013). "Dog euthanized after bite caused Dixon boy's death". The Reporter. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Autopsy info released in fatal dog attack of 5-year-old girl in Florence County". June 25, 2013. Archived from the original on August 9, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- Brown, Tonya (June 26, 2013). "Owner of pit bull that killed 5-year-old could face cruelty charges". Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- Horswell, Cindy (July 1, 2013). "Liberty County woman killed by dog she had adopted". Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Deputy fatally shoots dog in deadly Liberty Co. mauling". July 2, 2013. Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- Horswell, Cindy (July 2, 2013). "Dog in fatal attack on woman shot to death". Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- "96-year-old Katy man found dead after apparent dog attack". KHOA Houston TX. August 30, 2013. Archived from the original on October 5, 2013.
- "Boy, 5, in Alaska dies in dog mauling". UPI. September 16, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
KOTZEBUE, Alaska, Sept. 16 (UPI) – A Kotzebue, Alaska, boy, 5, was found mauled to death by a dog or dogs after being reported missing from his front yard, police said.
- "Boy, 2, killed in Gilbert by dogs at babysitter's home". The Arizona Republic. September 23, 2013. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Dogs euthanized after killing 2-year-old boy". KZAZ FOX10 Arizona. September 23, 2013. Archived from the original on September 25, 2013.
- Hall, Carla (September 25, 2013). "Pit bulls kill toddler; pit bulls are killed. A sad, familiar story". LA Times. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "Colton grandmother, uncle arrested in fatal pit bull attack". September 24, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- Rojas, Rick; Serna, Joseph (September 24, 2013). "2-year-old Colton boy killed by five pit bull mixes". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Pit bull owner won't be charged in fatal attack on 5-year-old boy". KTVB. October 18, 2013. Archived from the original on January 6, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- Cohn, Meredith. "Pit bull involved in owner's death had bitten before". Baltimore Sun.
- Richie, Rochelle (November 4, 2013). "Baltimore Woman Mauled To Death By Her Pit Bull Was Previously Attacked". CBS Baltimore. ©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
...the pit bull had attacked before but was back in the owner's custody. Advocates say the attack should not have happened. The woman had a huge gash on her face from a previous attack from her dog. Terry Douglass, 56, is the latest victim in Baltimore City to be killed by a pit bull, a dog she's raised since it was a puppy.
- Hinton, John (November 5, 2013). "Woman found mauled to death by dogs in Kernersville". Winston-Salem Journal. World Media Enterprises Inc. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
Atkins had been around the dogs since they were puppies, and there was no history of aggression with the dogs, investigators told FOX8/WGHP
- Sullivan, Jennifer (November 7, 2013). "Spanaway woman dies week after attack by two pit bulls". Local News. The Seattle Times. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
The dogs' owner told KOMO-TV that he doesn't know how the animals got out of his fenced yard. "They're really nice dogs," he said.
- "Update: Deputies identify 4-year-old boy killed by pit bulls in White County". KATV. November 8, 2013. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Quiquivix, Jorge (November 11, 2013). "Name released of 4-year-old boy killed by dogs". KAIT Channel 8 Local News, ABC affiliate. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
White County, AR (KAIT) – A small child died Friday afternoon after being attacked by dogs at a home in White County. According to White County Chief Deputy Phillip Miller, the sheriff's office received a call at around 3:24 p.m. after 4-year-old Levi Watson, was attacked on Piker Road in the Bradford area. Bradford fire crews and EMS arrived to the scene and treated the child. Deputy Miller said the child was taken to the White County Medical Center where the child later died. Miller said deputies and detectives with the sheriff's office are investigating the incident and the owner is cooperating with them. The White County Sheriff's Department has taken three adult pit bulls into custody until the investigation is completed. Deputy Miller said no charges have been filed in this incident. They will determined what will happened to the dogs after the investigation is completed.
- Wilkerson, Daniel (January 3, 2014). "Details released in Hot Springs Village deadly dog attack". THV-Channel 11. CBS News. Archived from the original on January 5, 2014. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
...arrest warrants were issued for two women reportedly involved in the...attack, which killed 75-year-old Joan Kappen...
- Sobol, Rosemary (December 9, 2013). "A painful Christmas for family of child killed by dog". Chicago Tribune. Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
An autopsy Sunday determined that she died from multiple injuries she sustained in a dog attack and said a contributing factor was neglect. Her death was ruled a homicide, officials said.
- Manning, Allison (December 11, 2013). "Family dogs kill baby on West Side". The Columbus Dispatch. The Dispatch Printing Company. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
A baby girl was killed by the family dogs yesterday morning while her father slept on the couch in their West Side condo, Columbus police said.
- "Valencia County woman mauled to death by pit bull". The Santa Fe New Mexican. December 14, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
Valencia County sheriff's officials say Michal Nelson, 41, was killed Friday afternoon by her own pit bull.
- "Bullhead City man dies after attacked by dog". ABC TV News. December 29, 2013. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
The Bullhead City Police Department says 64-year-old Thomas J. Vick died from his injuries after being brought to a hospital....tried to break up a fight Saturday evening between the family's boxer and cocker spaniel. Both were attacked by the boxer. The dogs are being held at the Bullhead City Animal Control facility.
- Woodard, Brad (May 5, 2014). "Officials indentify (sic) woman killed in pit bull attack in SE Houston". KHOU. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "1 dead, another hospitalized after dog mauling in southeast Houston - khou.com Houston". web.archive.org. January 8, 2014. Archived from the original on January 8, 2014. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Couple Charged After Deadly Dog Attack". News 4 San Antonio. WOAI-TV. June 11, 2014. Archived from the original on July 1, 2014. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- "Woman, 83, mauled to death by neighbor's dogBY". April 14, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Doctors warn of public health problem of dog attacks - San Antonio Express-News". web.archive.org. March 18, 2016. Archived from the original on March 18, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- State of Texas vs. Rachelle Kay Lucas, CR2014-315 (2014).
- State of Texas vs. Peter Scott Lucas, CR2014-316 (2014).
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Julie Gerke l. "'Happy little girl' dies after attack by family dogs".
- Press, The Associated. "3 pit bulls euthanized after Bloomington girl's mauling death".
- "CORONA: Pet dogs fatally maul woman". January 31, 2014. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved February 9, 2014.
- Mark Gokavi, Staff Writer. "Couple in fatal dog mauling case sentenced". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Steven Matthews, Staff Writer. "Two arrested in third dog attack fatality in 17 months". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Chris Stewart, Staff Writer. "Dog-mauling lawsuit: County accused of destroying records". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Steven Matthews, Staff Writer. "Changes to dog laws still sought one year after fatal attack". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Laura A. Bischoff, Columbus Bureau. "Another shot at vicious dog reform unlikely to pass in Ohio before year's end". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Vigil held for Temple toddler killed by dog". February 19, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Central Texas girl, 2, fatally mauled by dog". News Channel 10 — KFDA. February 17, 2014. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Adam Bennett (March 15, 2016). "No charges filed after pit bull attack". KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen. Archived from the original on March 15, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Geary, Mark (February 27, 2014). "Police: Child Dies After Family Dog Attacks". WFNY News 2. Gannett. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
A 3-year-old child died after her family's pit bull attacked her. A family spokesperson says Braelynn Rayne Coulter was playing when the dog suddenly attacked. Coulter's mother tried to save her, but the dog also attacked her.
- "Toddler killed by family dog was 'smart and vivacious'". February 24, 2014. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Tallassee Child Killed In Dog Attack Name Identified". February 26, 2014. Archived from the original on March 8, 2014. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Dog that killed Paterson boy was a ticking time bomb, neighbors say". March 3, 2014. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- Gately, Paul J. (March 5, 2014). "Medical Examiner: Local Toddler's Mauling Death Was Accidental". www.kwtx.com. KWTX-TV News 10 Waco (Gray Digital Media). Archived from the original on August 8, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
The boy was killed and an 8-year-old girl was injured when the bull mastiff attacked them as they walked home from a neighborhood playground.
- "77-year-old woman bleeds to death after dog attack". KSAZ. March 15, 2014. Archived from the original on March 19, 2014.
- "3-year-old killed in Pit Bull Attack". March 31, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Local Son Finds Mother Dead From Pit Bull Attack". April 1, 2014. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Little boy killed in dog attack while playing outside his home in St. Clair County". June 4, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- Video portion of report still available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO086hidVWg
- Brodesky, Josh (April 24, 2014). "Grasping at straws after dog-bite death". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Davis, Vincent T. (October 16, 2015). "Owner of killer dogs gets five years". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Smiths Station woman dies a week after being attacked by 3 dogs". May 4, 2014.
- Meisel, Jay (October 1, 2014). "Woman died from drug intoxication and bite wounds, autopsy indicates". Highlands Today. Archived from the original on October 6, 2014. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- EndPlay (May 5, 2014). "Report: 1-year-old boy dies after Rottweiler attack". WSOC. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Police identify boy, 4, killed in dog attack". Delawareonline.com. May 9, 2014. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- ""This Dog Is Attacking A Lot Of People"". Branford Eagle. April 14, 2014.
- "Son says trauma of April pit bull attack in Branford played role in death of elderly woman". New Haven Register. June 3, 2014. Archived from the original on April 5, 2017.
- "93-yr-old woman mauled by pit-bull in Branford". WTNH.com. April 14, 2014. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016.
- Dave Phillips; Dustin Blichock (June 6, 2014). "Dog mauls, kills baby in Davisburg". Oakland Press. 21st Century Media. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
Officials said the family has owned the Catahoula — the state dog of Louisiana, traditionally used to hunt wild boar — for about two years. It bit a neighbor on the arm several months ago but did not cause a serious injury and did not result in a response from deputies. The Catahoula is described as "tough, agile, fearless and intelligent" by the Dog Owner's Guide at canismajor.com. "The breed developed from dogs abandoned by Spanish explorers crossed with Indian dogs living with the local tribes," the site states. "The Cat is a dedicated guard dog and hunting companion and can be a faithful family pet if socialization and training begin with young puppies and continue throughout the dog's life."
- "Man's throat slashed and ear cut off in gruesome murder". WREG. July 4, 2014.
- "Man sentenced in dog attack deaths". WTVA. March 8, 2018.
- Writer, Peaches Hoyle Staff. "Trial for Benton County man accused of two counts of manslaughter set to begin Tuesday, Feb. 20". Daily Journal. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Peterson, Zach (July 29, 2014). "Deputies: Adults smoking pot while pit bulls kill 4-year-old boy". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Johnston, Caitlin (July 21, 2014). "Riverview boy mauled by dogs remembered for independent spirit". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Father of boy mauled to death blames uncle". WTSP. July 21, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Stein, Letitia (July 20, 2014). "Florida boy, 4, mauled to death by pit bulls, officials say". Reuters (via Yahoo!). Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Staff, Breaking News. "Coroner rules baby killed by dog 'an accident'". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Amanda Emery (July 24, 2014). "Deadly dog mauling: Livonia man dies after two mastiffs attacked him as he jogged in Metamora Township". MLive.com. unknown. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- "Couple Whose Dogs Fatally Mauled Jogger Charged With Murder". WWJ. August 1, 2014. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Brasier, L.L. (July 14, 2015). "Couple sentenced to prison in fatal dog attack". USA Today. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Pack, Lauren (August 4, 2014). "Police: Woman killed by dog". Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Shannon Ketler; Brian Mains; Even Milward (video report) (August 5, 2014). "Grandmother fatally mauled by dog in front of 2-year-old grandson in Butler County". WCPO. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014.
- Marotti, Ally (August 4, 2014). "Police: Family's pit bull kills Butler County woman". Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Stewart-Muniz, Sean (August 8, 2014). "Boy killed in dog attack is identified". Gainesville.com. The Gainesville Sun. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Associated Press (August 10, 2014). "Authorities identify 6-year-old Fla. boy killed by pit bulls Boy killed after being attacked by aunt's 2 pit bulls in Florida". WPLG. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
Later, Claar looked outside and saw the boy lying in the driveway.
- Undersheriff Brett Beauchamp (August 8, 2014). "Updated Child Death Investigation". Levy County Sheriff's Office. Levy County Sheriff's Office.
The child had injuries consistent with being attacked by a dog or dogs. The subsequent investigation revealed that the child had been left in the care of his paternal aunt, Heather Claar. Claar resides at the incident location. Claar had allowed the Victim to go outside the home to play at the same time she allowed two of her pit bulldogs outside. For unknown reasons, the dogs attacked and killed the child outside the residence. There were no eyewitnesses to the attack. The Victim was not a stranger to the dogs and had been around them on a regular basis. Animal Control personnel removed multiple dogs from the property for quarantine purposes.
- Weich, Susan (November 8, 2014). "St. Charles County toddler attacked by family dog has died, officials say". St Louis Post Dispatch. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "Father, girlfriend charged in boy's mauling death". CBS miami. August 22, 2014. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Dad Takes Plea Deal In Pit Bull Death « CBS Miami". web.archive.org. April 9, 2016. Archived from the original on April 9, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- FOREST, ASHLEY (September 21, 2014). "Mississippi man dies after being attacked by a pack of dogs". News Channel 3. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "David Glass Obituary". Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. September 26, 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- "Man dies after pit bull attack; owner charged". Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. September 22, 2014. Archived from the original on April 24, 2016.
- "Elderly woman attacked, killed by pitbull". ABC channel 8. September 29, 2014. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- "Son saves mom from pit-bull attack but dies of injuries". USA TODAY. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Man Attacked By Pack Of Pit Bulls In Modesto Dies". cbslocal.com. October 15, 2014. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Kimble, Lane (October 25, 2014). "Family mourns seven-year-old killed in dog attack". CBS. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014. Retrieved October 27, 2014.
- Williams, Derica (October 27, 2014). "Seven-year-old boy dies after being attacked, severely bitten by Rottweiler". Tribune Broadcasting. Fox 6. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- Willets, Sarah (October 30, 2014). "Dogs maul 83-year-old woman". Robesonian. Archived from the original on December 8, 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Neary, Ben (November 17, 2014). "Coroner: Pack of Dogs Killed Wyoming Woman". ABC News. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Reilly, Greg (November 18, 2014). "Woman, 91, dies after attack by her own dog". Stratford Star. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Dunsmoor, Ben. " Oglala mother renews call for tough dog law after death", KELOLAND TV, Sioux Falls, November 20, 2014. Retrieved on December 9, 2014.
- "Dog attack killed girl on Pine Ridge reservation". Black Hills Pioneer. November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Young, Steve (November 20, 2014). "Pack of dogs kills girl on Pine Ridge Reservation". Argus Leader. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Rockingham County dog owner charged in November death | Rockingham Now". greensboro.com. April 13, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Gregory, Melissa (January 13, 2015). "Grant report: Woman was unconscious before dog mauling". Thetowntalk.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Child Fatality Summary" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on June 1, 2016.
- Osowski, Chip (December 8, 2014). "Family devastated by loss of toddler in Citrus dog attack". wfla.com. Archived from the original on December 30, 2014.
- State of Florida v. Claudia Scarbrough, Case# 2014-CF-001350-A (August 2, 2016).
- State of Florida v. Christopher Louis Camejo, Case# 2014-CF-001350-B (June 10, 2016).
- "Medical Examiner says Flour Bluff Woman Killed by Dog Attack - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend". web.archive.org. May 28, 2016. Archived from the original on May 28, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Four Dogs Responsible for Flour Bluff Woman's Death Put to Sleep - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend". web.archive.org. April 19, 2015. Archived from the original on April 19, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Gollner, Sarah (December 26, 2013). "Portage man dies from dog attack on Christmas". NWI.com. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- Jones, Paige (January 7, 2015). "87-year-old Frederick man dies after being attacked by family's pit bull". fredericknewspost.com. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Sullivan, Dan. "Mom says toddler killed by dogs was "an amazing kid"". www.tampabay.com. Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
The animals remained in the custody of the Hernando County Animal Services at the Brooksville animal shelter. Their fate was uncertain. Meanwhile, Hernando sheriff's investigators continued Tuesday to probe what happened Monday morning as Declan played on the porch of the mobile home he and his mother shared with her parents at 16251 Cherokee Road. The dogs, a pair of mixed-breeds named Thumper and Max, had been with the family since they were puppies, said Moss, 26. Thumper was 6 years old. Max was 18 months, the same as Declan. Neither had ever caused a problem for the family or shown any sign of aggression, Moss said. Her son loved the dogs, she said, as well as the horses and cattle he encountered in their rural northeast Hernando County community. Declan's grandfather, Gregory Moss, 51, was supervising the boy when the dogs attacked, authorities said. He tried to pull them off. By the time rescue personnel arrived, Declan was dead.
- "Pit bull saved from 'death row' mauls teen on first day home". September 8, 2015.
- Nelson, Andrew J. (January 23, 2015). "7-year-old Iowa boy dies after attack by 2 family dogs; both have been euthanized". Omaha.com. Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
two 6-month-old dogs, said Page County Sheriff Lyle Palmer. The dogs — a 25-pound female and a 35-pound male — were mixed-breeds with some bulldog heritage, he said. But neither would be considered a pit bull. And neither had ever indicated it might be vicious, he said. Palmer saw the dogs in the pound Friday morning before they were euthanized. "Those puppies today … they showed no aggressiveness," he said. "When I went in this morning, they were still wagging their tails. "Malaki's family also had another dog, a bulldog type that wasn't involved in the attack, put down Friday morning, the sheriff said.
- Bergan, Shain. "Family Member's Dogs Killed Johnson County Man, Sheriff Says". 5newsonline. Tribune Broadcasting. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
Johnson County (KFSM) – The Coal Hill man found dead in the woods near his home earlier this month died from "canine injuries" from a family member's dogs, according to newly-revealed autopsy results. Fredrick Crutchfield, 63, was found dead Feb. 4 by a family member. Investigators sent his body to the Arkansas State Crime Lab to determine a cause of death. An autopsy revealed Crutchfield died from loss of blood due to "multiple canine injuries," according to a statement released by the Johnson County Sheriff's Office on Friday (Feb. 20). Deputies said the dogs involved in the death belonged to a family member. The animals have since been impounded, according to the Sheriff's Office.
- Cain, Jackie (February 23, 2015). "Girl, 2, mauled to death by dog in West Mifflin Victim identified as TayLynn DeVaughn, of Forest Hills". WTAE Action News 4 - Pittsburgh. Hearst Stations Inc. on behalf of WTAE-TV. Retrieved September 27, 2015.
A Pit Bull Mix Named Jake Snapped. Came in the living room and the dog was just shaking her and – Corey says he and his daughter had been staying with relatives since Wednesday. Taylynn had been around the dog since then and everything was fine until the attack that took her from him. When he let her go, she was gone because of her face, it's just like a blink of an eye, my baby's like gone.
- Slagle, Eric (March 5, 2015). "West Mifflin dog blamed in toddler's death set to be euthanized". Triblive. Trib Total Media, Inc. Retrieved September 27, 2015.
... a pit bull terrier mix — which is 3 to 4 years old and weighs about 80 pounds — was aggressive and uncooperative the night of the attack but has been somewhat withdrawn since. "The dog is still doing the thousand-mile stare. This dog is odd," Ferree said. "It's been here 10 days and you still can't read this dog." Allegheny County police Lt. Andrew Schurman said no criminal charges have been filed as a result of his department's investigation. "The (district attorney's) office will make the final determination," Schurman said. Allegheny County District Attorney's Office spokesman Mike Manko said he had nothing to report on the investigation....The Medical Examiner's Office ruled the toddler's cause of death as accidental from injuries to the head and neck caused by a dog. She was pronounced dead at Jefferson Hospital the night of the attack.
- "Pit bull mauls W.Va. man attempting to save dog's owner. Both men are now dead". The Washington Post. March 10, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Dog From Fatal East Wheeling Attack Will Be Sent to Pennsylvania Rescue". theintelligencer.net. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Slayton, Ashley. "Elderly Sulphur Springs woman dies after dog mauling". KLTV. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "Woman Killed By Pack Of Wild Dogs On Rosebud Indian Reservation". KDLT News. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Rogers, Alexis (April 3, 2015). "Family of man killed by pit bull attack seek justice". World Now and KATV. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
Deputies were dispatched to C.J.'s Garage Monday morning to follow up on the report of a sighting of a Pit Bull Terrier that had returned to the property after getting away on Saturday. Once the deputies approached the animal, the dog became aggressive. The responding deputy fired a shot killing the dog. A second Pit Bull Terrier, which was not accounted for originally, was captured and is being kept by authorities. There has been a total of 5 Pit Bull Terrier's killed and 3 captured.
- Sela, Alvaro (April 3, 2015). "Update: Deputy kills dog involved in deadly attack". Retrieved September 30, 2015.
Maj. Woods said no arrests have been made in connection with the incident, but the Sheriff's Office is still investigating and they're currently working with the 11th Judicial West Prosecuting Attorney's Office. Maj. Woods also said reports have been filed in the past regarding Smith's dogs.
- "Dog owner guilty in fatal mauling in Jefferson County".
- Takahashi, Tiffany. "GBI: 81-year-old woman in Wilkes Co. died from dog attack". WTVM. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "2-Month-Old Boy Killed, Mauled by Family's Pit Bull". April 20, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "New Braunfels 2nd-grader killed in dog mauling". KSAT. May 4, 2015. Archived from the original on January 31, 2016.
- "Body Found on Monroe Ave. Identified". Spectrum News Rochester. May 27, 2015.
- "Fake Service Dogs". DogBiteLaw.com, Attorney Kenneth M. Phillips. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
On May 24, 2015, a Rottweiler killed 26-year-old Anthony Wind in Rochester, New York; he suffered from seizures for years because of brain trauma, and the dog allegedly assisted him when he had those seizures.
- "2015 dog bite fatality statistics, Anthony Wind, Interview with Kenneth M. Phillips". DogsBite.org. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
Anthony's girlfriend had adopted the dog from Rochester Animal Services, but the rottweiler had originated from a shelter in Georgia, according to [Attorney Kenneth M.] Phillips. This same rottweiler had previously attacked Anthony four times. 'Both of his ears had been mauled in separate incidents. Three of the incidents were reported to the authorities, namely Rochester Animal Services. However, they never took back the dog,' Phillips said.
- "Grandfather of boy killed by dog: 'Person responsible should be made to pay'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Lawton police ID boy killed in dog attack". June 30, 2015.
- Report, Staff. "Elderly Man Killed After Being Attacked by Pit Bull".
- "83-Year-Old Pecos Man Killed in Dog Attack - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com -". web.archive.org. December 22, 2015. Archived from the original on December 22, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "No Charges to be Filed Following Deadly Dog Mauling in Pecos - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com -". web.archive.org. August 20, 2015. Archived from the original on August 20, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "County calls for investigation, pit bull 'time out'".
- Wiley, Frank (July 23, 2015). "Annie Williams: Family shares memory of grandmother killed by pit bull". Archived from the original on December 14, 2015. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- "Owner of pitbull that killed 71-year-old Shaker Heights woman gets prison time".
- Walden, Tiffany. "Police-dog bites led to infection, inmate's death, autopsy says". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "Pit Bull Kills Woman, Injures Two Roommates in South Carolina". People. August 25, 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Hennessey, Michael (August 25, 2015). "New details emerge in deadly Davie County dog attack, woman retrieving mail when attacked". MyFox8. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Roney, Marty (September 9, 2015). "Autopsy: Dogs killed Autauga woman". Montgomery Advertiser. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Whitcomb, Dan (September 9, 2015). "California man killed, woman badly hurt in pit bull attack". Reuters. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Cafiero, Carmel; Cohen, Daniel (March 29, 2016). "3 dogs to be euthanized after 91-year-old woman mauled to death". WSVN. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- "No charges filed after boy dies from dog attack". your4state.com. September 2015.
- Vandergriff, Caroline (February 8, 2019). "Oklahoma court hands down $15 million judgment for family of man killed by five dogs". KOKH. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "OKC Man Dies After Being Mauled By Five Dogs". news9. October 21, 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Salinger, Tobias (October 20, 2015). "Texas boy, 5, mauled to death by two pit bulls at home of family friend: police". New York Daily News. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Carol D'Auria; Ginny Kosola; Mike Xirinachs (November 8, 2015). "Police: 9-Year-Old Girl Dies After Pit Bull Attack At LI Home". newyork.CBSlocal.com. ©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
A 9-year-old girl has died after being attacked by a pit bull while playing in the backyard of a Long Island home, police say.
- Burgess, Katherine (November 15, 2015). "Man killed by dog 'loved animals'". The Jackson Sun. Retrieved November 18, 2015.
- "Dog euthanized after fatal attack on baby in Oneida County".
- "Child killed by dogs had 90 wounds; owner to face trial".
- FOX. "Mother of 4-year-old killed by pit bulls speaks; owner arrested".
- "'They Just Ate Him': Mother Who Desperately Tried To Save Her Son Watched In Horror As 4-Year-Old Son Was Dragged Underneath Fence And Mauled To Death By 4 Pit Bulls".
- "2 Dogs, 1 Puppy Euthanized After Fatal Attack On Woman In Port Huron".
- "22-year-old woman killed after dog attack in Port Huron". Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Witness: Hardy climbed fence, pulled in by pit bull". The Times Herald. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Determined investigators crack the case of what killed Werner Vogt". News-leader.com. March 11, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Hunt, Maghan (January 29, 2016). "Coroner: Gridley woman killed by pit bulls". KRCR. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Click here to support Nyjah Espinosa's Funeral Services by Diley Gonzalez".
- Dillion, Mathias. "Nyjah Espinosa killed by her dad's American Bulldog days before Christmas". Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Shepard, Willard. "Girl, 2, Killed in Dog Attack in Miami-Dade". NBC 6 South Florida. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Sister in Yuba dog-mauling case: 'I will never forgive myself'".
- "Update: 15-month-old dies of injuries from pitbull attack in Grayson County". January 8, 2016. Archived from the original on January 11, 2016.
- Rodgers, Nate; News, WNCN (January 25, 2016). "North Carolina mom speaks out after son dies from pit bull attack".
- "Dogs negative for rabies". January 27, 2016.
- "Lumberton city council adopts new dog ordinance". WBTW News 13 South Carolina. June 14, 2016.
- "Dog may have bit, killed baby in Youngstown". WKBN 27. February 8, 2016.
- "Death of Youngstown infant ruled an accident". 21 WFMJ. February 17, 2016.
- Edwards, Jonathan (February 11, 2016). "N.C. woman killed by dog she had adopted from Norfolk couple". Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Edwards, Jonathan. "It was clear pit bull who killed his owner was untrained, breeder says".
- EndPlay (March 8, 2016). "Elderly woman mauled by dog in Thurston County". KIRO. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- EndPlay (March 9, 2016). "92-year-old woman dies after dog attack". KIRO. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Salinger, Tobias. "Washington state woman, 92, killed in mauling by four dogs at neighbor's home". nydailynews.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman, 84, killed in dog attack in N.C."
- "Dogs euthanized after elderly woman killed in attack in North Carolina". WBTV. April 7, 2016.
- "Florida woman mauled, killed by own dog". Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- Castro, Amanda (April 2, 2016). "Officers fatally shoot dog that mauled owner to death, Leesburg police say". WKMG. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Sentinel, Orlando. "Leesburg police identify woman mauled to death by her dog".
- "Police: Leesburg woman mauled to death by her own dog". www.mynews13.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Two men killed, five dogs blamed, and now the verdict. The dogs must die". The Fresno Bee. May 15, 2017.
- "Facts, Findings and Decision of Dangerous Dog Hearing" (PDF). County of Fresno, Dept of Public Health. May 4, 2017.
- "I found this pet on www.sdhumane.org".
- "Dog that fatally bit baby euthanized".
- "Parents whose baby was fatally mauled by pet dog gave up on 911 calls". CBS News. CBS Interactive Inc. April 24, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Milberg, Michael Seiden, Amanda Batchelor, Glenna (May 18, 2016). "10 dogs seized by authorities after fatal dog mauling". WPLG. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Currier, Joel. "Advocate for people with disabilities killed by dog in his St. Louis County home, police say". stltoday.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Kalthoff, Ken. "History of Complaints Prior to Fatal Dog Attack in Dallas". NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "What happened to 7 dogs suspected of killing Antoinette Brown (and other updates in the month since her death)". Dallas News. June 10, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Police kill pit bull after deadly attack".
- Times, Los Angeles. "'Aggressive' pit bull shot and killed after fatally mauling a California man".
- Ricker, Nok-Noi; Staff, B. D. N. "Pit bull that killed Bangor boy had vicious history".
- "Pit Bull That Killed Maine Boy Attacked Other Dog".
- TEGNA. "Dog that allegedly killed Corinna boy unregistered pit bull".
- "Austin woman attacked and killed by multiple dogs". Fox 7 Austin. June 16, 2016. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Steele, Tom (June 16, 2016). "Woman killed by pack of dogs while serving court papers in Travis County". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Steele, Tom (June 24, 2016). "6 dogs who fatally mauled Austin woman will be put to death". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- "Woman in 'grave' condition after New Haven dog mauling; city changes response protocol".
- "New Haven Woman Critically Injured in Dog Attack Dies".
- Fox 61 staff (June 28, 2016). "Owner of dogs that killed woman will not face additional charges, dogs will be put down". Fox 61. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- "Three-Day-Old Baby Killed By Family Dogs In California". June 28, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- Zamora, Eric (June 27, 2016). "3-day-old girl killed by family dogs, Fresno police say". The Fresno Bee. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Larimer, Sarah (June 28, 2016). "3-day-old baby girl is killed by family dogs in 'unfortunate accident,' police say". The Washington Post. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- "Navajo Times". www.facebook.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Wide Ruins officials outraged over fatal mauling". Navajo Times. July 21, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- staff, Jermont Terry, Local 4-ClickOnDetroit news (July 17, 2016). "71-year-old woman attacked, killed by pit bull in Southwest Detroit". WDIV. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Namata, Brigette (August 3, 2016). "Homeless man killed by dogs owned by Kalihi business". KHON. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Release of dogs involved in fatal attack raises eyebrows". www.kitv.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "2nd dog attack victim steps forward". www.kitv.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Cannady, Dal (August 2, 2016). "Woman found mauled to death by dog in Screven Co". WTOC. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Castelan, Antonio (August 18, 2016). "Dog that attacked and killed child near Desert Inn and Hollywood has been euthanized". KSNV. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Joe Daraskevich (August 19, 2016). "Man dies after apparent animal attack on Jacksonville's Eastside; 4 dogs removed - News - The Florida Times-Union - Jacksonville, FL". Jacksonville.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Dogs Brutally Attack Woman Despite Son's Attempts To Pull Them Off". cbslocal.com. August 31, 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "College Station infant dies after incident with family dog". KBTX-TV Channel 3. September 23, 2016.
- Leon, Daniela. "Topeka father heartbroken after 2-year-old attacked, killed by 2 dogs". www.wibw.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Pit bull fatally mauled Kansas girl. And state, foster agency are to blame, suit says". kansas. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "No charges in dog attack that killed child, dog to be put down". MLive.com. November 2, 2016. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Woman, 68, Found Dead With Dog Bite Marks to Body: NYPD". October 25, 2016. Archived from the original on February 13, 2019.
- "My Mom Caused Her Own Mauling Death by Scaring My Dogs, Daughter Says". March 6, 2017. Archived from the original on February 13, 2019.
- "Dog Panda #A1094711 at New York City Animal Care & Control" (This web archive version has photos of the dogs that the original version online no longer has.). November 15, 2017.
- "Dog Jacob #A1094712 at New York City Animal Care & Control" (This web archive version has photos of the dogs that the original version online no longer has.). June 17, 2018.
- WSAZ News Staff; Kaitlynn LeBeau; Dan Klein (December 5, 2016). "UPDATE: Dog in fatal attack 'never aggressive'". WSAZ. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "New charge against former Grover Beach officer in dog attack | The Tribune". Sanluisobispo.com. June 12, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "'This was an accident,' attorney tells jury as Grover Beach dog-mauling trial begins". The Tribune, San Luis Obispo. March 12, 2019.
- "Infant girl killed by family dog, police say". kvue.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Pit bull owner in custody after child dies in attack". WXIA. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Queens mom, 75, mauled to death by mastiff | WPIX 11 New York". Pix11.com. February 13, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "5-year-old mauled to death by dogs". ClarksvilleNow.com. February 16, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Quincy man dead from apparent dog attack". Herald-Whig. February 27, 2017.
- "Quincy man charged after allegedly letting pit bull bite man in face". Herald-Whig. July 10, 2017.
- "Quincy man charged in dog attack sentenced to 15 years". Herald-Whig. May 14, 2018.
- Hern, Miriam; ez; staff, ABC7 com (February 4, 2017). "76-year-old man critical, pet Pomeranian killed in pit bull attack in Lincoln Heights". ABC7 Los Angeles. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "2 Pit Bulls That Attacked Man, Killed His Dog In Lincoln Heights Killed Before, Neighbor Says". cbslocal.com. February 3, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "LA Killer Pit Bulls Euthanized...Are Dog Attacks Now an Epidemic?". CityWatchLA. March 20, 2017.
- "Calif. dog owner fights to reclaim pit bulls that killed a man and his pet". CBSnews.com. March 22, 2017.
- "No charges pending in fatal dog attack". thebaynet.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Dallas Franklin (April 7, 2017). "Police: Owner of dogs that mauled 82-year-old woman to death wasn't home at time of deadly attack". KFOR.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Cornelius Frolik, Staff Writer. "Dayton man mauled by dog that neighbors had worried about". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Frolik, Cornelius; Mark Gokavi, Staff Writer. "Dog mauling charge: 'A misdemeanor for a death – that's disturbing'". daytondailynews. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Manuel Gamiz Jr. (May 12, 2017). "Dog that killed Upper Macungie owner did not have rabies, test revealed". WFMZ. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- "Breeder found dead had potentially dangerous dogs for sale". Citizen-times.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Namata, Brigette (May 10, 2017). "Family from Oahu mourns baby killed by pet dog". KHON. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Police Identify 71-Year-Old Redding Woman Who Died After Dog Attack | Trumbull-Monroe Daily Voice". Daily Voice. May 23, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Ferguson, Christa (May 26, 2017). "GRPD: 3-week-old girl killed in dog attack". WOODTV. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Dog involved in attack that left woman dead euthanized; search warrants executed". WVEC. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Harper, Mike Connors, Jane. ""I'll never forget that sight": Woman recounts dog attack that killed her 90-year-old mother". Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "BLUE – A1098430". Urgent Pets on Death Row - NYC Dogs. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "13News Now looks into shelter that adopted out dog that mauled woman". WVEC. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Former workers criticize animal rehab, lack of laws after deadly dog attack". 13 ABC News Now. July 6, 2017.
- "Lawmakers consider regulating dog training centers after woman's death". 13 ABC News Now. January 29, 2018.
- "SB 571 Animal bite history; disclosure of information". Virginia's Legislative Information System. March 30, 2018.
- "1-year-old boy dies after mauling, Rottweiler euthanized". 12news.com. June 9, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Bozeman woman dies after dog attack - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF - KWYB". web.archive.org. May 15, 2018. Archived from the original on May 15, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Bermes, Whitney. "Woman brain dead after dog attack near Bozeman on Saturday". Bozeman Daily Chronicle. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Houghton, Katheryn. "Dog owner in fatal dog mauling to pay $15,500". Bozeman Daily Chronicle. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "KSP: Man Dies After Being Attacked By Dogs - LEX18.com - Continuous News and StormTracker Weather". web.archive.org. July 14, 2017. Archived from the original on July 14, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "KSP: Man Dies After Being Attacked By Dogs - LEX18.com - Continuous News and StormTracker Weather". web.archive.org. August 15, 2017. Archived from the original on August 15, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Fostoria man dies after being bitten while breaking up pit bull fight". WTOL 11 Toledo. July 21, 2017.
- "Fostoria man dies after attempt to break up dog fight". Fostoria Review Times. July 22, 2017.
- "Dogs involved in deadly attack put down". KVIA. July 31, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Raisa Habersham, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Grandmother pleads guilty, gets 10 years in deadly pit bull attack against toddler". ajc. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Hart County, Georgia Child Death Investigation - Georgia Bureau of Investigation". gbi.georgia.gov. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Family dog that fatally mauled newborn boy to be euthanized". bangordailynews.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Shay, Miya (August 21, 2017). "Police identify 8-week-old baby killed by family dogs". abc13.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Calhoun, Brady (August 28, 2017). "Fountain Woman Killed in Dog Attack". MYPANHANDLE. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "C5: Dog bites high, but 'dangerous dogs' low". WPTV. November 1, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman dies from injuries sustained in pit bull attack in Neshoba Co". Wtok.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Narciso, Dean. "Prosecutor: No charges for father of infant killed by pit bull". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman killed by dog". Times-Courier, Ellijay, Georgia. October 3, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "7-Year-Old Killed By Dog In Lowell « CBS Boston". Boston.cbslocal.com. October 21, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "In memory of Javian Candolario". Boston Globe. October 27, 2017.
- Mershon, Matthew (November 1, 2017). "Johnson County woman's death believed to be result of a vicious dog attack". KATV. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Victor Williams. "Neighborhood reacts to child killed by German Shepherd - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH". Cleveland19.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- EndPlay (November 9, 2017). "Police identify elderly man mauled to death by his dogs in Richmond Co". WSOC. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Nandy, Ben (November 29, 2017). "One killed, one seriously injured in dog attack". Rocketcitynow. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Cumberbatch, Rachel. "DHEC: All dogs believed to be involved in mauling death of 8-yea - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS". Wdam.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "One woman dead, another injured after dog attack in Jackson County". WHNT.com. December 7, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Dog owners charged in northeast Alabama woman's mauling death". AL.com. April 4, 2018.
- "Bill applies felony charge to owners of dogs that maim or kill". AL.com. January 31, 2018.
- "Alabama Senate Bill 232". LegiScan. March 1, 2018.
- "Elderly woman mauled to death by dog at Alsip home - Daily Southtown". Chicagotribune.com. April 18, 2018. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Dogs went through 'drastic lifestyle' changes before mauling owner". WTVR.com. December 19, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Mauled by dogs: Sheriff offers gruesome details hoping to end speculation". WTVR.com. December 18, 2017. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- Desk, National (December 22, 2017). "Woman working to rehabilitate orphaned dog mauled to death". Kcra.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Staff, Lindsey Reiser and azfamily com News. "PD: Woman dies after being mauled by dog at Phoenix kennel". AZFamily. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Sheriff: Pit bull put down after attacking, killing Kentucky woman". wbir.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- WKYT. "Dog attack in Bell County kills woman, injures her husband". www.wkyt.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Tracy, Erin (January 3, 2018). "Dogs that mauled woman to death in south Modesto captured | The Modesto Bee". Modbee.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Pit bull kills woman working at a pet hotel in West Monroe". Knoe.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Willis, Dede. "UPDATE: Pit bull euthanized after mauling West Monroe woman". www.knoe.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Dog that killed 3-year-old Oklahoma girl had been in home less than a week". KFOR.com. January 15, 2018. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Victims of Thursday's dog attack in Owensboro identified". TRISTATEHOMEPAGE. February 17, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Officials: Man died of cardiac arrest after dog attack - Local News - messenger-inquirer.com". web.archive.org. February 22, 2018. Archived from the original on February 22, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "No charges to be filed in death of Lee County 8-day-old baby girl mauled by dog". WCYB. May 1, 2018. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Dog kills 13-month-old Missouri girl. Her baby sitter is charged with manslaughter". kansascity. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman pleads guilty in dog attack death of 13-month-old". fox2now.com. December 3, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- State of Missouri v. Erica N Jordan, 18CG-CR00550-01 (2018).
- "4-year-old boy mauled to death by family dog in northeast Bexar County". KENS. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "South Texas Boy, 4, Fatally Mauled By Family's Pet Dog". NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Clarke, Mariah Medina, Deven (March 26, 2018). "4-year-old boy fatally attacked by family dog identified". KSAT. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Medical examiner: Woman, 49, 'mauled to death by her dog' near 28th and Clybourn". fox6now.com. March 26, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Sherman Oaks (May 7, 2018). "Community Mourns Infant Mauled To Death By Dog In Sherman Oaks | Sherman Oaks, CA Patch". Patch.com. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Oklahoma woman killed by pack of mixed dachshunds". fox8.com. May 17, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Dogs in Gulfport fatal dog attack euthanized - WXXV 25". WXXV 25. May 18, 2018. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Fulks, Clayton (May 18, 2018). "Death Investigation – 14400 block of Deidra Court". Gulfport Police Department. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Press, The Associated. "6-year-old boy killed by family pit bull". themorningcall.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Miami Baby Mauled to Death by Pit Bull While Sitting in Bouncy Chair". Newsweek. May 31, 2018.
- "8-month-old girl killed in Miramar dog attack". Local 10, WPLG Inc. May 30, 2018. Archived from the original on May 30, 2018. Retrieved May 30, 2018.
- "Georgia Babysitter's Dog Mauls 5-Month-Old To Death". Urbandale, IA Patch. June 14, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman killed by her own dog was engaged to a K-9 officer". WUSA. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Greenson, Thadeus. "91 Year Old Killed in Arcata Dog Attack". North Coast Journal. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "'Nobody deserves to die like that': Police K-9 killed man, family says". The Montgomery Advertiser. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Mom of 6-year-old girl killed by dog says". WTLV. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Shaw, Julie. "Toddler ID'd in fatal mauling by pit bulls in Port Richmond rowhouse". The Inquirer. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Neighbors say dog was known as a problem before fatal attack on beloved woman". wgntv.com. August 5, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- email@example.com, Jamie Biggs. "Fatal pit bull attack victim identified". The Courier-Tribune. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Police identify victim of dog attack - Rocky Mount Telegram". www.rockymounttelegram.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Staff, WLWT Digital (August 24, 2018). "Mother 'viciously mauled' to death by dog in West Price Hill". WLWT. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Simms, Barry (September 4, 2018). "Police: Columbia woman reportedly mauled to death by dog". WBAL. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Dog bite leads to woman's fatality". Siskiyou Daily News, Yreka, CA. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Man found dead with dog bite to the neck". My Columbia Basin. September 14, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Hurtado, Jennifer. "Police: Family dog mauled woman to death in northwest Las Vegas". FOX5 Las Vegas. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Douglas, Mark (November 15, 2018). "DCF report says call to 911 delayed in fatal foster baby mauling case". WFLA. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Kathryn Varn (October 13, 2018). "New details emerge in fatal dog attack on Clearwater 7-month-old". Tampabay.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- FOIA request to City of Clearwater (PDF), February 19, 2018, archived from the original (PDF) on February 12, 2019
- "Review places no blame on child welfare system in fatal dog attack on Clearwater infant". Tampa Bay Times. November 16, 2018. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "2-year-old girl mauled to death by family dog in Alvin". KBMT. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Toddler killed by family dog". The Alvin Sun-Advertiser. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "'My wife is gone' - Husband mourns wife mauled to death by pit bull in DC". WUSA. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman dies in hospital after being bit by her dog". KYTX. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- WITN. "Toddler mauled by family dog last week has passed away". www.witn.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Woman dies after Central Kentucky pit bull attack". kentucky. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Charges Upgraded In Case Of Fatal Dog Attack", Lex18, February 11, 2019
- Boeckel, Teresa. "Coroner IDs toddler mauled by dog in Windsor Township". The York Daily Record. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Thompson, Buster. "Five-day-old girl dies after being attacked by family dog; death ruled accidental". Chronicle Online. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Obituary Cecileigh Danielle Garris", Roberts Funeral Home, November 11, 2018
- Kent, AnnMarie (November 14, 2018). "Woman killed by family dog in Newaygo County". WPBN. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Dickerson, Brad (December 10, 2018). "Two children, 9 and 7, stable following dog attack; female victim identified". WMBF News. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- CNN. "Four Rottweilers kill grandmother". www.wrdw.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Sheriff: Grenada County woman attacked, killed by dogs". WTVA News. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Seven dogs attacked county resident". The Grenada Star. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Beare, KESQ Staff, Brooke (January 18, 2019). "Joshua Tree woman fatally attacked by four dogs". KESQ. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "'All we want is justice,' brother says after pit bulls kill Joshua Tree woman". sbsun.com. January 19, 2019. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Reyes, Sarah Trott, Jesus (January 19, 2019). "Witnesses & family give conflicting accounts on deadly dog attack". KESQ. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Perrone, Nicolette (January 8, 2019). "85-year-old man 'mauled' by two dogs, saved by neighbor". News Channel 10 — KFDA. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Obituary for Edward "Ed" Dewitt Stanley". Cox Funeral Home. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Mother released after child found dead in home". News 4 Tucson KVOA.com. January 25, 2019. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- "Autopsy reveals gruesome details about death of 8-month-old". News 4 Tucson KVOA.com. March 18, 2019. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- Martin, Madison. "Child dies after mauling by family dog". www.wbko.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Staff, News. "Child mauled by dog in Guthrie dies from injuries". whopam.com. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Shay, Miya (February 12, 2019). "Woman found dead in backyard with dog bites on arms, hands and face in west Houston". ABC13 Houston. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Walker, Aaron Barker, Taisha (February 12, 2019). "Woman's body found covered in dog bites in backyard, police say". KPRC. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Anza woman airlifted with "severe" injuries after mauled by 3 pit bulls, owner arrested". Riverside County News Source. December 15, 2018.
- "Son describes agony after Dr's ask to pull plug on critically injured Anza mauling victim". Riverside County News Source. December 19, 2018.
- "Pit bulls that gravely wounded Anza woman are euthanized". The Press-Enterprise. January 10, 2019.
- "Memorial service held for elderly teacher killed in animal attack". WITN. February 21, 2019.
- "Greenville woman mauled by her own dogs dies after neighbors fend off attack". Greenville News. February 22, 2019.
- "Woman dies after dog attack". Pickett County Press. February 27, 2019.
- "Elderly woman mauled to death by neighbor's dogs". NewsChannel5 Nashville. February 28, 2019.
- "Family members identify 88-year-old Lubbock woman killed by pack of dogs". KCBD NewsChannel 11 of Montgomery, Alabama. February 28, 2019.
- "Lubbock Animal Services talks about euthanasia protocol with vicious dogs". Everything Lubbock .com. March 1, 2019.
- "Police: 6-month-old killed by dog in Salisbury". Fox 46 Charlotte. March 5, 2019.
- "ASO: Dogs attack and kill 2-year-old boy, injure woman". WCJB TV20 Gainsville. March 8, 2019.
- "Boy, 2, killed by family dogs in High Springs". Ocala Star Banner ocala.com. March 8, 2019.
- "Toddler killed, grandmother mauled in attack by family dogs". News4Jax Jacksonville FL. March 8, 2019.
- "Man attacked by pack of dogs in Santa Fe dies". KHOU 11. March 13, 2019.
- "DEADLY ATTACK: Pack of dogs kill 53-year-old man in Santa Fe". ABC 13 Eyewitness News. March 13, 2019.
- "Victim and dog breed identified in deadly mauling". Fox 26 Houston. March 14, 2019.
- "Dogs attack, kill Santa Fe man". The Alvin Sun. March 20, 2019.
- "1-year-old mauled to death by 2 dogs, Fresno police say". Fox 26 KMPH News. March 22, 2019.
- "One-year-old boy mauled to death by two dogs, Fresno Police confirm". YourCentralValley.com KSEE24 (KSEE) and CBS47 (KGPE). March 22, 2019.
- "Woman dies after being attacked by her pit bulls at North Texas animal hospital". Fox 4 KDFW. March 23, 2019.