Nongthombam Biren Singh
Nongthombam Biren is a journalist turned politician from Manipur, India. In 2002, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Manipur, as the Democratic Revolutionary Peoples Party candidate in the constituency Heingang. In May 2003 he was appointed Minister of State of Vigilance in the Manipur state government. In 2007 he retained his Assembly seat, contesting on behalf of the Indian National Congress.
His son, Ajay Nongthombam, has been chargesheeted by the CBI in 2012 for the murder of one Irom Rozer in 2011. 
On 13 September 2015, Biren stated that the recently passed bill in the Manipur Legislative Assembly to protect indigenous peoples would not harm any community in the state.
In October 2016, Biren resignation from the Manipur Legislative Assembly and the Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee, this came after revolt against Chief Ministers of Manipur Okram Ibobi Singh.  This came after veteran Congress leader Yumkham Erabot Singh had joined Bharatiya Janata Party in September 2016. 
- The Telegraph - North East
- Election Commission of India: Statistical Report, 2007 Manipur Legislative Assembly election
- Indian Express: 
- Congress starts rapprochement to bring back Nongthombam Biren
- Biren to join us on Oct 15: Sarma
- Senior Manipur Congress Leader Biren Singh Resigns from Party
- Manipur senior Cong leader Biren quits
|This article about an Indian National Congress politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|