Telugu Desam Party
Telugu Desam Party ("party of the Telugu land"), abbreviated as TDP, is a regional political party active in the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. The party was founded by N. T. Rama Rao on 29 March 1982. Since 1995, the party is headed by Nara Chandrababu Naidu, the incumbent Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. The party's headquarters is located at NTR Bhavan in the Hyderabad.
N T Rama Rao became the chief minister of Andhra Pradesh in 1983 within nine months of the party's formation, thus forming the first non-congress government in Andhra Pradesh. TDP also achieved the rare distinction of being the first regional party to become the main opposition party in Lok Sabha from 1984 to 1989.
Ideology and symbolism
TDP follows a regionalist, pro-Telugu ideology. TDP uses yellow as the background color for the flag with a hut, wheel and plough symbol in the foreground. Bicycle is used as the official party symbol.
The total number of Lok Sabha seats in (previously undivided) Andhra Pradesh (1956-2014) was 42. After the 2014 bifurcation, there are 25 Lok Sabha seats in Andhra Pradesh and 17 Lok Sabha seats in Telangana.The national united front was formed with NTR as chairperson.Under the leadership of chandrababu naidu the NDA government was formed with Atal Bihari Vajpayee as the prime minister of India.The TDP had Balayogi has the 12th lok sabha speaker.
|Year||General Election||Seats won||Change of Seats||Vote%||Change of Vote%|
|1984||8th Lok Sabha||32||4.31%|
|1989||9th Lok Sabha||2||30||3.29%||1.02%|
|1991||10th Lok Sabha||13||11||2.96%||0.33%|
|1996||11th Lok Sabha||16||3||2.97%||0.01%|
|1998||12th Lok Sabha||12||4||2.77%||0.20%|
|1999||13th Lok Sabha||29||17||3.65%||0.83%|
|2004||14th Lok Sabha||5||24||3.04%||0.61%|
|2009||15th Lok Sabha||6||1||2.51%||0.53%|
|2014||16th Lok Sabha||16||10||2.52%||0.01%|
List of Chief Ministers
- N. T. Rama Rao
- First term (9 January 1983 – 16 August 1984).
- Second term (16 September 1984 – 2 December 1989).
- Third term (12 December 1994 – 1 September 1995).
- N. Chandrababu Naidu
- First term (1 September 1995 – 13 May 2004).
- Second term (8 June 2014 – Incumbent) (first CM to assume office of post-divided State / Newly formed State of Andhra Pradesh on 2 June 2014).
- "contact TDP". Telugudesam.org. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Telugu Nadu Students Federation (TNSF) holds dharna at TSPSC". newswala.com. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- "TDP appoints leaders for its frontal wings". thehindu.com. May 25, 2015. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- "List of Political Parties and Election Symbols main Notification Dated 18.01.2013" (PDF). India: Election Commission of India. 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "TDP wins 102 out of 175 seats".
- List of Chief Ministers of Andhra Pradesh
- Indian general election, 1984
- "Y.S. Choudary is TDP Parliamentary Party leader". The Hindu. 2014-06-05. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Telugu Desam Party.|