Location in San Bernardino County and the state of California
|• Total||5.987 sq mi (15.506 km2)|
|• Land||5.987 sq mi (15.506 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||1,099 ft (335 m)|
|• Density||4,000/sq mi (1,500/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1656440|
Though now unincorporated, many of the town's political activists are pushing for Bloomington to attain cityhood, while the nearby cities of Rialto and Fontana are attempting to annex the community. The incorporation effort is led by the BIC, the Bloomington Incorporation Committee.
Bloomington was originally developed as part of the land holdings of the Semi-Tropic Land and Water Company which was formed in 1887. In 1907, the Riverside Portland Cement Company built a large plant near Crestmore (South Bloomington) and to provide transportation for employees built a standard gauge railroad to Riverside. On May 20, 1911 the line was opened to Bloomington. The original community, known as Crestmore, is generally located between Locust Avenue and Larch Avenue, south of Jurupa Avenue, extending to the County line. The Pacific-Electric Crestmore Line (Riverside-Rialto) provided local service for many years. The Semi-Tropic Land and Water Company (now known as West Valley Water District) laid out the town sites of Bloomington, Rialto, Fontana, and Sansevaine. The town site for Bloomington, after being surveyed in April, 1888, was bounded on the north by Valley Boulevard, on the south by Slover Avenue, on the east by Larch Avenue, and on the west by Linden Avenue. Presently, part of the community is still rural and many residents continue to keep and raise animals. Much of the land is being trying to be taken over by Rialto and Colton
In 1989 full incorporation was not completed due to budget and staff constraints.
In 2007, the Bloomington incorporation committee (BIC) applied with the Local Agency Formation Commission for another attempt for incorporation. It failed in late February and early March, when the Local Agency Formation Commission denied an extension that BIC needed in order to pay a $109,000 deposit for feasibility and financial studies.
Bloomington is located at .(34.059462, -117.398728)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.0 square miles (16 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,318 people, 4,950 households, and 4,128 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,236.8 inhabitants per square mile (1,249.4/km²). There were 5,260 housing units at an average density of 881.3 per square mile (340.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 54.3% White, 4.0% African American, 1.8% Native American, 1.1% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 34.5% from other races, and 4.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 64.4% of the population.
There were 4,950 households out of which 50.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.8% were married couples living together, 16.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.6% were non-families. 12.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.9 and the average family size was 4.2.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 36.4% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 16.1% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27 years. For every 100 females there were 100.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $34,106, and the median income for a family was $35,936. Males had a median income of $30,680 versus $20,606 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $10,953. About 19.8% of families and 25.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.5% of those under age 18 and 10.8% of those age 65 or over. Bloomington has a large Nazarene church and Christian Elementary School and Preschool.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Bloomington had a population of 23,851. The population density was 3,983.8 people per square mile (1,538.2/km²). The racial makeup of Bloomington was 12,988 (54.5%) White (14.1% Non-Hispanic White), 649 (2.7%) African American, 309 (1.3%) Native American, 330 (1.4%) Asian, 47 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 8,600 (36.1%) from other races, and 928 (3.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19,326 persons (81.0%).
The Census reported that 23,670 people (99.2% of the population) lived in households, 154 (0.6%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 27 (0.1%) were institutionalized.
There were 5,428 households, out of which 3,310 (61.0%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 3,238 (59.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 895 (16.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 561 (10.3%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 449 (8.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 38 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 518 households (9.5%) were made up of individuals and 214 (3.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.36. There were 4,694 families (86.5% of all households); the average family size was 4.51.
The population was spread out with 8,013 people (33.6%) under the age of 18, 3,019 people (12.7%) aged 18 to 24, 6,493 people (27.2%) aged 25 to 44, 4,761 people (20.0%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,565 people (6.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27.8 years. For every 100 females there were 103.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.7 males.
There were 5,745 housing units at an average density of 959.6 per square mile (370.5/km²), of which 3,740 (68.9%) were owner-occupied, and 1,688 (31.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 5.1%. 16,181 people (67.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 7,489 people (31.4%) lived in rental housing units.
Bloomington's fire department service is provided by the San Bernardino County Fire Dept. 
Bloomington Christian School on Bloomington Avenue is hosted by the Bridge Church of Nazarene.
In the state legislature Bloomington is located in the 32nd Senate District, represented by Democrat Gloria Negrete McLeod, and in the 62nd Assembly District, represented by Democrat Wilmer Carter. Federally, Bloomington is located in California's 43rd congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of D +10 and is represented by Democrat Joe Baca.
The climate in Bloomington tends to be stable year round:
|Monthly normal and record high and low temperatures|
|Rec High °F||89||92||98||104||108||112||113||112||113||108||97||93|
|Avg high °F||66||68||70||76||80||87||94||94||91||83||74||68|
|Avg low °F||42||44||45||48||53||57||61||62||60||53||45||41|
|Rec Low °F||24||27||29||33||38||44||49||49||42||32||26||22|
- "U.S. Census". Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- [dead link]
- San Bernardino County Community Plan[dead link]
- "Land Use Services > Home". Co.san-bernardino.ca.us. Retrieved 2011-12-12.[dead link]
- 2007 Incorporation attempt[dead link]
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0607064.html. Missing or empty
- San Bernardino County Sheriff
- bloomington overview
- "Routes & Schedules". Omnitrans. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- "Colton Joint USD - CA - Home". Colton.k12.ca.us. 2011-12-02. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Bloomington Historic Weather Averages in California (92316)". Intellicast. Retrieved 2011-12-12.