Jones Lang LaSalle
|Traded as||NYSE: JLL|
|Founded||1999 merger of Jones Lang Wootton and LaSalle Partners|
Chicago, Illinois, USA
|Key people||Sheila Penrose, Chairman;
Colin Dyer, President and CEO;
Christie Kelly, CFO;
Jeff Jacobson, CEO LaSalle Investment Management
|Products||Agency Leasing, Capital Markets, Consulting, Facilities Management, Investment Management, Project and Development Services, Property Management, Tenant Representation, Valuations|
|Revenue||US$ 4.0 billion (2013)|
|Operating income||US$ 369 million (2013)|
|Net income||US$ 285 million (2013)|
|AUM||US$ 48 billion (2013)|
|Total assets||US$ 4.597 billion (2013)|
|Total equity||US$ 2.19 billion (2013)|
JLL (Jones Lang LaSalle Incorporated) is a professional services and investment management company specializing in real estate. Global headquarters are located in Chicago, with an operational remit covering the Americas regional market. Sub-headquarters operate in London (covering the Europe, the Middle East and Africa regional market) and Singapore (covering the Asia Pacific regional market).
The Company’s real estate services include agency leasing, capital markets, tenant representation, real estate investment banking / merchant banking, property management, corporate finance, facilities management / outsourcing, hotel advisory, project and development management / construction, energy and sustainability services, valuations, value recovery and receivership services, consulting and investment management.
History and mergers
Jones Lang LaSalle was formed by the merger of Jones Lang Wootton, a British firm with origins dating back to 1783, and LaSalle Partners, an American company formed from a predecessor launched in 1968.
Jones Lang Wootton opened its first US office in New York in 1975. In 1997, the initial public offering was completed by LaSalle Partners for the company's common stock in the market.
JLW and LaSalle Partners formed Jones Lang LaSalle in 1999, which was the largest international merger in the real estate industry at the time.
Jones Lang LaSalle is the largest real estate company in India as the result of one of the 15 mergers and acquisitions that took place in the year 2007 as the industry continued to consolidate.
Company size has increased in recent years through a combination of organic growth and mergers and acquisitions. Among the more than 35 M&As in the last decade in more than 13 countries was the 2008 acquisition of The Staubach Company, which added about 1,000 employees in the U.S.
In May 2011, Jones Lang LaSalle purchased King Sturge LLP for £197 million, making it the largest UK property company by turnover. The merged business operates in 70 EMEA markets across 30 countries employing 5,300 people providing integrated real estate services worldwide to investor, owner and occupier clients. The UK business has 2,700 employees in 34 offices.
In 2014 the organisation shortened its name to JLL.
The company has about 48,000 employees including professional and support staff. It has approximately 200 offices worldwide and operates in over 750 locations in 70 countries. Global revenue in 2012 was $3.9 billion and the firm has a global portfolio of more than 2.6 billion square feet under management.
The company is the second largest publicly traded commercial real estate brokerage firm in the world. Major competitors include CBRE, Cushman & Wakefield, DTZ, Cassidy Turley, Colliers International and Newmark Grubb Knight Frank.
In 2014, for the seventh year in a row, Jones Lang LaSalle was named one of the ‘World’s Most Ethical Companies’ by the Ethisphere Institute, an international organization that promotes best practices in business ethics, corporate and anti-corruption.
Capital Markets and Real Estate Investment Banking to help organizations buy and sell properties, and improve the financial impact of their real estate portfolios. The firm handled $82 billion (U.S. dollars) in transaction volume in 2007, and recent activities include the sale of a 432-acre (1.75 km2) Denver Sun Microsystems technology campus to Conoco-Phillips.
Capital Markets Services includes institutional property sales and acquisitions, real estate financings, private equity placements, portfolio advisory activities, and corporate finance advice and execution.
Real Estate Investment Banking Services include sourcing capital, both in the form of equity and debt, derivatives structuring and other investment banking services. Jones Lang LaSalle also delivers Capital Markets Services for hotel and hospitality assets and portfolios on a global basis, including investment sales, mergers and acquisitions, and financing. It provides services to assets that cover the hospitality spectrum: luxury properties; resorts; select service and budget hotels; golf courses; theme parks; casinos; spas; and pubs.
Consulting to develop workplace strategies such as occupancy planning, relocations, and energy and environmental sustainability initiatives. Current consulting projects include helping the United States military and Veterans Administration reduce and realign their installations and developing New York’s 1 World Trade Center site, which includes a 108-story main tower and September 11 Memorial & Museum.
Facilities Management for a variety of properties including office towers, retail and exhibition centers, and government, collegiate and industrial complexes. Recent activities include management of the Dubai World Trade Center and the “Bird’s Nest” Beijing National Stadium since its inception, including the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Hotels & Hospitality Group provides real estate services for luxury, select service and budget hotels; timeshare; convention centers; mixed-use developments and other hospitality assets. The wide range of services includes valuations and appraisals, investment sales, acquisition advice, asset management, strategic planning, hotel operator contract negotiation, strategic consulting, research and project and development services. The firm’s more than 265 dedicated hotel and hospitality experts partner with investors and owner/operators worldwide to support and shape investment strategies that deliver maximum proceeds along the entire lifecycle of an asset.
Project and Development Services to manage ground-up creation, building construction and major interior renovations. Recent projects include a $20 million “green” retrofit of New York’s Empire State Building in conjunction with the Clinton Climate Initiative, and ground-up development of One Bryant Park, New York City’s second-tallest skyscraper and the world’s first major office tower created to meet LEED platinum environmental standards.
Property Management services that provide on-site administration to help owners of office, industrial, retail and specialty properties reduce costs and enhance their property values.
Tenant Representation for organizations that lease large spaces.
Valuations that provide impartial assessments of real estate worth.
LaSalle Investment Management is a wholly owned subsidiary of Jones Lang LaSalle that makes real estate investments for clients. LaSalle Investment Management provides clients with a range of real estate investment products and services in the public and private capital markets. Investment alternatives include private investments in multiple real estate property types, such as office, retail, industrial, health care and multi-family residential, either through investment funds that LaSalle Investment Management manages or through single-client account relationships (separate accounts). It also offers indirect public investments, primarily in publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs) and other real estate equities. It has invested in direct real estate assets in 18 countries worldwide, as well as in public real estate companies traded on all stock exchanges.
Other practices include Corporate Finance, Energy and Sustainability, Research, and Residential Agency. Aside from the commercial real estate industry, the company also serves the residential, industrial, rural and public sectors.
Roger Staubach, former Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, joined Jones Lang LaSalle’s Board of Directors when his firm The Staubach Company was acquired in 2008. Andy Irvine, retired rugby union rugby player who played for Scotland, is the Chairman for the company in Scotland.
- Cassidy Turley
- Aon Center (Chicago), company headquarters
- DeAnne Julius, Independent Non-Executive Director
- Roger Staubach, Executive Chairman, Americas and Director
- Jones Lang LaSalle and TCM merge (Indian Express)♙
- National Real Estate Investor "Jones Lang LaSalle Acquires Staubach Co., Boosts Tenant Rep Platform," Jun 18, 2008
- King Sturge Website "King Sturge LLP Website," May 31, 2011
- Reuters UK "Jones Lang LaSalle Shortens Name to "JLL" and Unveils New Logo" March 4, 2014
- PR Newswire "Jones Lang LaSalle Recommits to Aon Center for Its Headquarters", PR Newswire, September 20, 2004. Accessed March 17, 2009.
- Yahoo! "JLL: Key Statistics", Yahoo! Finance, 2012
- Hoover's "Fact Sheet, Jones Lang LaSalle"
- Bloomberg "Genco, Lazard, Massey, Nalco, Nova, Ryder: U.S. Equity Movers", Bloomberg, February 4, 2009 . Accessed July 25, 2009.
- Ethisphere 2014 WME honorees
- Reuters. "Barclays set for Canary Wharf expansion", Reuters. Accessed August 28, 2009
- Building Design, the Architect's website. "European office agency Team of the year". Accessed August 28, 2009.
- Business Immo "Île Seguin: Jones Lang LaSalle, consultant for Gecina", Accessed August 28, 2009.
- Dobson, Richard "IFirm bullish on filling up Taipei 101", Taipei Times. Accessed August 28, 2009.
- Cook, Ashley "ConocoPhillips Pays $58.5M for StorageTek Campus", Wall CoStar Group". Accessed October 14, 2009
- Coombs, Joe "Finalists brace for coming BRAC decision", Washington Business Journal. Accessed August 28, 2009
- Brown, Eliot "Freedom Rings Up! First Lease at World Trade Center Site", New York Observer. Accessed August 28, 2009.
- Schmidt, Melissa "Jones Lang LaSalle’s Global Approach a Success in Uneasy Times", Medill News Service. Accessed August 28, 2009.
- BBC news "Bird’s Nest Has Millennium Buzz", BBC. Accessed August 28, 2009
- Adis, Khalil "Empire State Building goes green under Jones Lang LaSalle", Property Report. Accessed August 28, 2009.
- Busch, Adam "Jones Lang LaSalle: Green Space Today’s January 2009 Firm of the Month", Accessed August 28, 2009.
- "Commercial Property Services in Edinburgh". Jones Lang LaSalle. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Jones Lang LaSalle (worldwide)
- Jones Lang LaSalle (US)
- Jones Lang LaSalle (Asia)
- LaSalle Investment Management