Paakantyi (Darling language)
|4 (2005) to 42 (2016 census)|
The Darling language (green) among other Pama–Nyungan (tan)
The Darling language, or Paakantyi (Baagandji), is a nearly extinct Australian Aboriginal language spoken along the Darling River in New South Wales from present-day Bourke to Wentworth and including much of the back country around the Paroo River and Broken Hill. The people's and language name refers to the Paaka (Darling River) with the suffix -ntyi meaning 'belonging to',
Dialects of Paakantyi include Southern Paakantyi (Baagandji, Bagundji), Kurnu (Kula), Wilyakali (Wiljagali), and Pantyikali-Wanyiwalku (Wanyuparlku, Bandjigali, Baarundji), Parrintyi (Barrindji), Marawara (Maraura). Bowern (2011) lists Gurnu/Guula as a separate language, though Hercus includes it because of its almost identical vocabulary. Dixon adds several other names, some perhaps synonyms; Bulaali (Bulali) may have been an alternative name for Wilyakali, but also for a different language, Maljangapa.
However; Tindale (1940) mapped the 'Rite of Circumcision' border around Wanyiwalku separating it from the rest of Paakantyi - Tindale instead groups Wanyiwalku together with Maljangapa, Wadikali & Karenggapa of the Yarli language.
|Close||ɪ, i||ʊ, u|
- ABS. "Census 2016, Language spoken at home by Sex (SA2+)". stat.data.abs.gov.au. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- Dixon, R. M. W. (2002). Australian Languages: Their Nature and Development. Cambridge University Press. p. xxxvi.
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Paakantyi". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Darling at the Australian Indigenous Languages Database, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Luise Hercus. Baagandji Grammar, ANU 1960; Paakantyi Dictionary (published with the assistance of AIATSIS, 1993)
- Luise Hercus. Paakantyi Dictionary (published with the assistance of AIATSIS, 1993)
- Bulali at the Australian Indigenous Languages Database, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Paul, Margaret. "Funding sought for Aboriginal language classes". abc.net.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Andersen, Elena (2015). Development of a Learner’s Grammar for Paakantyi. University of Sydney.