Innamincka Regional Reserve
|Innamincka Regional Reserve
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
|Nearest town or city||Innamincka|
|Established||22 December 1988|
|Area||13,540.54 km2 (5,228.0 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|Website||Innamincka Regional Reserve|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Innamincka Regional Reserve is a protected area located in the north-east of South Australia which includes the town of Innamincka. The regional reserve was proclaimed on 22 December 1988 under National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 over a parcel of land previously part of the Innamincka Pastoral Lease to recognise it as "a place of major conservation importance" whilst permitting ongoing mining and agricultural activity. It was the first "multiple use reserve to be administered by a nature conservation agency" to be declared in South Australia under the category of regional reserve provided for in the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972. It is partly located on land that was included on the List of Wetlands of International Importance under the Ramsar Convention under the name Coongie Lakes in 1987. In 2005, a parcel of land was excised from the regional reserve to create the national park now known as Malkumba-Coongie Lakes National Park. It also includes the Innamincka/Cooper Creek state heritage area. The regional reserve is classified as an IUCN Category VI protected area.
- Protected areas of South Australia
- Regional reserves of South Australia
- Regional Reserve (Australia)
- List of largest protected areas in the world
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 25 November 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2014. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Innamincka Regional Reserve". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.
- "Innamincka Regional Reserve Management Plan" (PDF). Department of Environment & Land Management. 1993. pp. i & 1. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Malkumba-Coongie Lakes National Park Management Plan 2014" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. 2014. pp. 4–5. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Coongie Lakes Ramsar wetlands; a plan for wise use" (PDF). Department of Environment, Heritage & Aboriginal Affairs. 1999. p. 2. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Innamincka/Cooper Creek state heritage area". Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Innamincka Regional Reserve official webpage
- Entry for Innamincka Regional Reserve on protected planet
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Australia protected areas related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|