Northam Warren created the first fingernail cuticle remover and nail polish in 1911. Cutex introduced nail tints in 1914, and a liquid nail polish for the first time in 1917. The product took a long time to catch on, in 1927, it was reported as being a fad in London.  In 1928, the company introduced an acetone-based nail polish remover that was safe for home and helped lead to the mass adoption of liquid nail polish. Cutex was a major nail care brand in the twentieth century.
Ownership changes and continued production
In April 1997, Carson Inc. purchased the Cutex product line for sale in the U.S. and Puerto Rico for $41 million. The following year, in December 1998, Carson sold Cutex to the Shansby Group, in order to focus on its hair care line as well as reduce debt. As part of the sale, Carson retained the nail and lip-coloring product lines. Shansby Group later entered into a joint venture with Medtech Labs to form the publicly traded company, Prestige Brands, which included Cutex.
Prestige maintained ownership of Cutex until September 2010, when it sold the brand to Arch Equity Partners. In 2016, Arch Equity Partners sold the Cutex Brands portfolio company to Revlon Consumer products. 
Cutex has offered nail care and lip-coloring product lines. Cutex has released additional products and lines over the years, including its Advanced Revival and Baseworx products in 2012.
- "Source Image for Cutex Zan-e Rooz Ad, 1968".
- Team, Trefis. "Revlon's Q2 2016 Earnings Preview". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Bennett, James. "Northam Warren". Cosmetics and Skin. James Bennett. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Toledo Blade - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "Beauty timeline: 100 Years of Loveliness - Telegraph". fashion.telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "Encyclopedia- Cutex". NAILS Magazine. NAILS Magazine. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Cangiano, Jessica (10 May 2015). "Adventures in vintage advertising: Cutex Nail Polish". Chronically Vintage. Jessica Cangiano. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "TINTED NAIL IS LONDON FAD.; They Are Polished So as to Match One's Pearl Necklace". Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "7 world-changing inventions people thought were dumb fads". Vox. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Jones, Geoffrey (2010-02-25). Beauty Imagined: A History of the Global Beauty Industry. OUP Oxford. ISBN 9780199556496.
- "COMPANY BRIEFS". Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- News, Bloomberg (1998-12-11). "Carson Sells Cutex to Shansby for $30 Million". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- Cheddar, Christina (29 June 2005). "Prestige Brands Finds Growth By Turning Around Old Cast Offs".
- Solomont, E.B. (23 September 2010). "Arch Equity acquisitions create new Cutex Brands". St. Louis Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Top 150 2017: No. 141 Arch Equity Partners". 24 March 2017. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- Kuehler, Michelle (1 May 2012). "Cutex® Baseworx, Not Just Another Base Coat". Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC. Retrieved 11 February 2015 – via PRWeb.