|Language(s)||Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean|
Lui, Leoi, Lei, Loi (Cantonese)
Louie, Loui (Taishanese)
Looi, Lui (Hokkien, Teochew, Hakka, Hainanese, Foochow)
No, Ro (Korean)
In the United States, Lei is an uncommon surname, ranking 14,849th during the 1990 census and 6,583rd during the year 2000 census. In order, "Roe", "Louis", "Noe", "Louie", and "Lui" were all more common than the pinyin name; Loi and Rai were quite uncommon; and Leoi was held by fewer than 100 US residents and left unlisted by the Census Bureau.
In Canada, Lei and Lui were among the 200 most common peculiarly Chinese-Canadian surnames found in a 2010 study by Baiju Shah & al, which data-mined the Registered Persons Database of Canadian health card recipients in the province of Ontario. Rai was found, but among the most common surnames of the Indian-Canadian community.
雷 is the Chinese character for "thunder".
Persons with the surname
- Lei Chen (1897–1979), Taiwanese politician
- Lei Feng, Chinese soldier
- Lei Jieqiong (1905 - 2011), Chinese sociologist, activist, and politician
- Lei Jun, Chinese entrepreneur
- Lei Sheng (born 1984), Chinese foil fencer
- Lei Tingjie, Chinese chess player
- Lei Yixin (born 1954), Chinese sculptor
- Lei Zhengfu, Chinese politician
|Look up 雷 or kaminari in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- US Census Bureau. Op. cit. Public Broadcasting Service. "How Popular Is Your Last Name?" Accessed 6 Apr 2012.
- Shah, B. R.; Chiu, M.; Amin, S.; Ramani, M.; Sadry, S.; Tu, J. V. (2010). "Surname lists to identify South Asian and Chinese ethnicity from secondary data in Ontario, Canada: A validation study". BMC Medical Research Methodology. 10: 42. doi:10.1186/1471-2288-10-42. PMC 2877682. PMID 20470433.
- Baxter, Wm. H. & Sagart, Laurent. "Baxter–Sagart Old Chinese Reconstruction". Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. (1.93 MB), p. 88. 2011. Accessed 6 April 2012.
|surname Lei. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|