程 and 成, the two most common Chinese surnames with pinyin romanisation "Cheng"
|Region of origin||China|
Cheng can be a transcription of one of several Chinese surnames. Since the syllable Cheng represents different sounds in Hanyu pinyin and the Wade–Giles systems of Chinese romanization, some ambiguity will exist as to which sound is represented by the letters "Cheng" if the romanisation and tone is not known. Also within each system of romanisation, each syllable can represent one of several different characters, as with any Chinese syllable.
In the pinyin system of romanization (usually used in China), the most common surnames romanized as Cheng are 程 and 成.
Further confusion arises because Wade–Giles often appears without the required apostrophes (which indicates aspiration), and thus some Wade–Giles names which are properly romanized Ch'eng (such as 程 pinyin Chéng) will appear as Cheng.
Notable people surnamed 程
- Amy Cheng, Singaporean actress
- Cheng Bing, official of Eastern Wu in the Three Kingdoms period
- Cheng Pu, general serving under the warlord Sun Quan in the late Eastern Han dynasty
- Cheng Yu, official serving under the warlord Cao Cao in the late Eastern Han dynasty
- Cheng Hong, spouse of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang, an English professor at the Capital University of Economics and Business
- Cheng Qian, a Chinese military general in the late 1910s
- Brian Ching, an American-born Chinese football player
- Ch'eng Mao-yün, composer
- Ching Cheong (Cheng Xiang), Chinese journalist with the Singapore newspaper The Straits Times, imprisoned in China for five years on charges of espionage
- François Cheng, French writer, poet and calligrapher
- Henry Thia, Singaporean actor and comedian
- Jiaxin Cheng (born 1974), Chinese-born cellist, wife of Julian Lloyd Webber
- Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs Malacañang correspondent
- Woeser (Han name Cheng Wensa [程文萨]), Tibetan poet and essayist
- John S. Chen [程守宗], CEO of Blackberry
- Chung Ling Soo, [程連蘇] stage name of the American magician William Ellsworth Robinson
Notable people surnamed 成
- Cheng Dechen, general of the Chu state in the Spring and Autumn period
Notable people surnamed 鄭
- See Zheng (surname)
Additionally, depending on the character, Cheng can be a forename. Cheng usually is only seen to be applied to the last name due to the meaning and nature of the chosen 'Cheng', if it was '成' where it means 'to become' then it is suited best as a last name as it symbolises a foreseeing connotation and would make more sense at the end of a name, but also in Chinese name layout, the last name is usually said first. whereas if it were '澄' meaning 'clarity', then it would be more likely seen as a first name, this usually appears in the middle of the name in Chinese format.
- Ren-Chang Ching (1898–1986), botanist specialist of pteridophytes
|surname Cheng. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|