Malawi at the 2012 Summer Paralympics
|Malawi at the
2012 Summer Paralympics
|NPC||Malawi Paralympic Committee|
|Competitors||0 in 0 sports|
|Summer Paralympics appearances|
Malawi were scheduled to make its Paralympic Games début at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London, United Kingdom, from 29 August to 9 September 2012. On 29 August the team was withdrawn from the games due to lack of funding.
Every participant at the Paralympics has their disability grouped into one of five disability categories; amputation (the condition may be congenital or sustained through injury or illness); cerebral palsy; wheelchair athletes (there is often overlap between this and other categories); visual impairment, including blindness; and Les autres, any physical disability that does not fall strictly under one of the other categories, for example dwarfism or multiple sclerosis. Each Paralympic sport then has its own classifications, dependent upon the specific physical demands of competition. Events are given a code, made of numbers and letters, describing the type of event and classification of the athletes competing. Some sports, such as athletics, divide athletes by both the category and severity of their disabilities, other sports, for example swimming, group competitors from different categories together, the only separation being based on the severity of the disability.
- "London 2012 to be biggest Paralympic Games ever", London 2012 official website, 21 May 2012
- "Paralympics 2012: Malawi withdraw due to lack of funding". BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Josiah-Banda bails out Malawi Paralympics", Malawi Nation, 14 May 2012
- "Paralympics categories explained". ABC. 3 September 2008. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Making sense of the categories". BBC Sport. 6 October 2000. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "A-Z of Paralympic classification". BBC Sport. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Malawi - Athletes