This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ritwik Sanyal Performing in Japan
|Born||12 April 1953|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music, Dhrupad|
|Years active||1975 - Present|
|Labels||Bihanmusic, Makar Records|
Pandit Ritwik Sanyal (born 12 April 1953) is an Indian classical singer and the Dhrupad maestro from Varanasi, and a professor of vocal music and Ex Dean at the faculty of performing arts at Banaras Hindu University. Pandit Ritwik Sanyal received the highest award for music in India, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award from President of India Hon. Shri Pranab Mukherji, 2013
Pandit Ritwik Sanyal was born in Katihar. He was trained in the dhrupad style of vocal music of the Dagar Tradition, believed to be descendants of Swami Haridas, who lived in the fifteenth century and trained the legendary Tansen. Sanyal also composes dhrupad lyrics.
Between 1963 and 1975, he received his training in Dhrupad under Zia Mohiuddin Dagar and Zia Fariddudin Dagar in Mumbai, India. He received an M. A. in philosophy from Mumbai University and a Masters in Music from Banaras Hindu University, securing the gold medal. He completed his Ph.D. in musicology from the same university, 1980 under the supervision of Prem Lata Sharma.
Sanyal is presently a Professor of vocal music and Ex-Head of the department of vocal music and Ex-Dean at the Faculty of Performing Arts at Banaras Hindu University. He has around 50 published papers in various journals, and also composes dhrupad lyrics. He is a "Top" grade (Dhrupad) artist at All India Radio & Doordarshan, Varanasi.
He has assimilated the Dagarvani tradition of Dhrupad and evolved a distinctive style of his own in the rendering of Dhrupad. He has specialized in advanced technique of Alap - Jod - Jhala, laykari, voice culture and pedagogy both traditional and institutional.
He has performed both in India and abroad, including the UK, US, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, France, Holland, South Korea, Israel, Croatia, Brazil, Australia, Mauritius and Japan. His performances in India include the National Programme of Music for AIR and Doordarshan, the Gwalior Tansen Samaroh, the Varanasi Dhrupad Mela, Harballabh Sangeet Samaroh Jallandhar, Saptak Ahmedabad, all the Dhrupad Festivals of the country and many other prestigious concert platforms of India.
- Hari Singari, Bihaan Music
- Dhrupad Choir, Bihaan Music
- Sound of Life Pt. Ritwik Sanyal, Bihaan Music
- Pt. Ritwik Sanyal:Makar Records, France
- Hori: Pt. Ritwik Sanyal, Makar Records, France
- Pt. Ritwik Sanyal & Gianni Ricchizzi, Dhamar Raga Shree, Nomadism-Zahyrus Italy
- Pt. Ritwik Sanyal, Nada Records, South Korea (SEM Nada DE 0267)
- Pt. Ritwik Sanyal, Om & Raga Durbari, Dancing to the Flute, Australia
Dhrupad lyricist and composer
Some notable Dhrupad compositions are:
- Raga Abhogi (Dhamar) on YouTube
- Raga Saraswati (Sooltaal) on YouTube
- Raga Kirwani (Sooltaal) on YouTube
Pandit Ritwik Sanyal is also creator of many ragas which are very popular with the current generation of musicians. One of the raga that was created over 30 years ago by Panditji and Late Us. Zia Fariduddin Dagar is raga "Shruti vardhani"
(श्रुतिज्ञान) 'Shrutigyan' is the pen name 'छाप' of Pandit Ritwik Sanyal on many of his Dhrupad lyrics and compositions. Recently his composition on Raga Kirwani was very well appreciated in Vicenza, Italy. You can watch this performance on Youtube
Awards and honours
Felicitation by Honorable Governor of Uttar Pradesh Shri Ram Naik for lifetime dedication and commitment to Indian Classical Music under the auspices of Sangit Milon Lucknow, 14 Dec 2014. Sangeet Natak Akademi Award 2013. Siti Vaijayanti Samman Siti Mahotsav Varanasi, 2004. Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Natak Akademi Award 2002 Honoured by Kashiraj Trust, Varanasi and Maharaja Travancore Svati Tirunal Award at the Dhrupad festival of Banaras for outstanding contribution to Dhrupad, 1995. Honoured by Indian Social & Cultural Lover's Organisation (ISCLO)-Varanasi/Calcutta 1990.
- Dhrupad Panchashika -Indica Publications -Varanasi April 2015.
- Philosophy of Music - Somaiya Publication -Mumbai 1987.
- Dhrupad Tradition and Performance in Indian Music -Ashgate, UK, 2004.
- Martin, Clayton M.; Clayton, Martin (2008). Time in Indian Music: Rhythm, Metre, and Form in North Indian Rāg Performance. Oxford University Press. p. 97. ISBN 9780195339680. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- Anant Maral Shastri#Saluting the Legends
- Pandit Ritwik Sanyal selected for Sangeet Natak Akademi Award 2013
- Official site
- Dhrupad Tradition and Performance in Indian Music book review at Ashgate
- Pandit Ritwik Sanyal at Shanti Shivani's story
- Brief history of the Dagar Family by Pt.Ritwik Sanyal
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)