|Period in office||13th and 14th century|
Sheikh Edebali, (1206-1326, Turkish: Şeyh Edebali, real name: İmâdüddin Mustafa bin İbrâhim bin İnac el-Kırşehrî , influential Ottoman Sunni Muslim Sheikh of the Ahi brotherhood, who helped shape and develop the policies of the growing Ottoman State. He became first Qadi of the Ottoman Empire . He was a member of the largest and northern Arabian tribe of Banu Tamim, .
Interaction with Ottoman leaders
Edebali often conversed with his close friend Ertuğrul Gazi, the father of Osman I about Islam and the state of affairs of Muslims in Anatolia. Osman had been a frequent guest of Edebali. Edebali became Osman's mentor and eventually girt him with a Gazi sword. Osman at Edebali's dergah, dreamed of a state . This dream thus led to the establishment of a state . After this Edebali didn't oppose their union and Edebali's daughter married Osman I. As a result of this marriage, all the Ahyan sheikhs came under the Ottoman control. This had a major impact on the establishment and development of the Osmanic beylik.
Advice to Osman I
Edebali's advice to his son-in-law, Osman I, shaped and developed Ottoman administration and rule for six centuries.
In one famous declaration, Edebali told Osman:
O my son!
Now you are king!
From now on, wrath is for us;
for you, calmness!
For us to be offended;
for you to please!
For us to accuse;
for you to endure!
For us, helplessness and error;
for you, tolerance!
For us, quarrel;
for you, justice!
For us, envy, rumor, slander;
for you, forgiveness!
O my son!
From now on, it is for us to divide;
for you to unite!
For us, sloth;
for you, warning and encouragement!
O my son!
Be patient, a flower does not bloom before its time.
Never forget: Let man flourish, and the state will also flourish!
O my son!
Your burden is heavy, your task hard, your power hangs on a hair!
May God be your helper!
In popular culture
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheikh Edebali.|
- Şahin, Kamil (1994). "EDEBÂLI". TDV Encyclopedia of Islam, Vol. 10 (Dûmetülcendel – Elbi̇se) (in Turkish). Istanbul: Turkiye Diyanet Foundation, Centre for Islamic Studies. pp. 393–394. ISBN 9789753894371.
- Akgunduz, Ahmed; Ozturk, Said (March 2011). Ottoman History - Misperceptions and Truths by Ahmed Akgunduz & Said Ozturk. Istanbul. p. 45. ISBN 978-975-7268-28-4. Retrieved 28 January 2021.
- "Bilecik Şeyh Edebali Üniversitesi". bilecik.edu.tr. Retrieved 30 January 2021.
- The Ottoman Empire, by Halil Inalcik, p. 55.
- The Origins of the Ottoman Empire, by Mehmet Fuat Köprülü, Gary Leiser, p. 6.
- KUTAY, UĞUR (10 February 2020). "Osmancık'tan ve Osman'a". BirGün (in Turkish). Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- "Şeyh Edebali kimdir, ne zaman öldü? İşte Şeyh Edebali'nin hayatına ilişkin bilgiler…" (in Turkish). Hurriyet. 18 December 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2021.