This page is a chronology of events in year 2003 directly related to Wikipedia and Wikipedians, both within Wikipedia and in the whole wide world. Wikimedia events and events in sister projects (Wiktionary, Wikibooks, etc.) are listed as long as they are related to Wikipedia.
Additions to this page must follow certain rules, because it is hoped that in 50 years or so this page will become a valuable source of scholar research.
- January 2003, support for mathematical formulas in TeX was added.
- January 22, the English Wikipedia was slashdotted after having reached the 100,000 article milestone.
- October 1: The results of the m:International logo contest were ratified, the winning one is the puzzle sphere by m:User:Paullusmagnus
- October 12: The finalized wikipedia logo (created by user:Nohat from the winning logo) was accepted in English wikipedia
- October 28, the first "in the fleisch" meeting of Wikipedians happened in Munich
- July 9, Wikipedia:Sites that use Wikipedia for content, now Wikipedia:Mirrors and forks, was created by user:Mbecker
- December 6:user:Mattworld created a sandbox which 4 days later was eventually moved to Template:Stub 
- December 19: user:MyRedDice, now MartinHarper (talk · contribs), imports the concept of wikipedia:Barnstars from MeatBallWiki
- January 25: Wikipedia:WikiProject Music was launched by TUF-KAT (talk · contribs)
- February 16, Serbian Wikipedia created
- February 20, Lithuanian Wikipedia creates the first article
- June 2003, Romanian Wikipedia created
- July 2003
- July 8, Hungarian Wikipedia started
- August 12, Malay Wikipedia created
- September 2003, Scottish Gaelic Wikipedia created
- October 2003, Slovak Wikipedia created (becoming active in the summer of 2004)
- October 12, Albanian Wikipedia started
- November 7, Indonesian Wikipedia created
- November 13, Alemannic Wikipedia (Alemannisch) created
- December 2003, Thai Wikipedia created
- December 5, Icelandic Wikipedia created
- December 18, Estonian Wikipedia created
- December 23, main page of Romansh Wikipedia created
- June 20, the Wikimedia Foundation was founded.
- December 8, Wikipedia:Mediation Committee was set up by Jimbo Wales
- October 31, Wikipedia:Tim Starling Day: the new parsing algorithm running twice as fast implemented by user:Tim Starling.
Wikipedian status changes
- January 2003:
- Jasonr administrator access for technical reasons
- February 2003:
- March 2003:
- March 10Cordyph
- April 2003:
- May 2003:
- May 12 172
- May 22 Kils
- June 2003:
- June 1 Kosebamse
- June 30 PMA
- July 2003:
- August 2003:
- August 5 Stevertigo
- September 2003:
- October 2003:
- October 3 Ark30inf
- November 2003:
- December 2003:
- December 6 168...
- January 10: User:Michael Hardy (06:38) (user page created)
- January 28: User:Maveric149 (02:46) (user page created)
- January 30: User:Ahoerstemeier (03:41) (user page created)
- February 21: User:Angela (00:21) (user page created, first logged edit)
- July 10: User:WhisperToMe (05:01) (1st apparent edit)
- June 11: User:Charles Matthews (20:36) (user page created)
- August 31: User:WhisperToMe (12:02) (user page created)
- September 8:User:Secretlondon (02:23) (first logged edit)
- October 14: User:Dale Arnett (05:09) (user page created)
- October 26: User:RedWolf (11:40) (user page created)
- October 30: Altenmann (11:44, user page created, 07:44:38, first edit)
- November 27:Humus sapiens , first logged edit
- While formally Wikipedia:Verifiability and others of Wikipedia's content-controlling policies do not apply outside the main namespace, they must be strictly followed here, for the sake of scholarly discipline:
- The listed event and its date must be mentioned in a wikilinked or externally linked reference. It is advised to consider an external link to a specific version of a Wikipedia page rather than a wikilink, if this page is linked for a critical but volatile piece of information.
- Credible sources must be used only. Within Wikipedia, Wikipedia Signpost is one of them.
- Trivial events must be avoided:
- "Logo ratification and its variants", by Erik Moeller
- Wikipedia:History of Wikipedian processes and people#Stubs