Family names in North Karnataka
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Surnames drawn from Food Items are Balikai (Banana), Bendikai (Okra), Bellolli (Garlic), ULLagaDDi (Onion), MeNasinakai (Chilli), Tenginakai (Coconut), Byali (Pulse/Dal), Tuppa (Ghee), Palle (Vegetable), Guggari (Boiled Food grains), Churamari (Bhel), Sajji (A type of Food grain), Akki (Rice), Jola (Jawar)
- Surnames drawn from Type of Breads are Akkirotti (bread of rice), VaNarotti (dry bread), Mekkirotti (bread of Maize), Haalrotti (Bread with milk), Hattrotti (Ten Breads) etc.
- Surnames drawn from Dresses are Kubusa (A type of Blouse), Langoti (Kaachaa), Dhotra (Dhoti), Harakangi (torn shirt).
- Surnames drawn from Houses are Doddamani (Big House), Moolimani (Corner House), Devaramani (God's House), Hadimani (House next to the road), Myalinamani (House on the upperside), Tegginamani (House on the lowerside), Hanchinamani (House made tiles on the roof), Hullamani (House made of Grass), Kallimani (house made of a tree called Kalli), Kattimani (House with a Platform in its front).
- Surnames drawn from Temples are Gudi (Temple), Halligudi (A village Temple), Pujari (A Priest), MaTha (An Ashram), Hirematha (A Senior (larger) Ashrama), ChikkamaTha (A Junior (smaller) Ashrama), KorikanthimaTha (An Ashrama made of bushes).
- Surnames drawn from Type of People are Hukar/Hugar (One who sells Flowers), Pasappagol (One who passes), Dhulappanavar (One who produces dust), Kanajanavar (One from Godown), Salgar (One who lends), Soudagar (A businessman), Chitragar (Painter), Nayak (leader, (probably military), similarly paleyagar, sarnayak, YalakkiShettar (A business man who sells Cardamom), Aatgara (One who is playful)
- Surnames drawn from Type of Profession are Kumbara (Pottery), Bannagara (Dyer), Badigera (carpentar), Vastrada (Related to Cloth (specifically Towel))
- Surnames drawn from Types of Platforms are Katti (platform), Bhavikatti (A platform beside a well), Bevinakatti (A platform under a Neem tree), Hunasikatti (A platform under a Tamarind tree), nadakatti (Middle platform), halakatti (Old platform).
- Surnames ending with shetty or shetti (different from Mangalore Shetty's) like Bharamshetty, Kalshetti, Kalyanshetty, Pattanshetty etc. belong to prominent Lingayat community in Karnataka and Maharashtra, Andhra bordering Karnataka.
- Surnames ending with Annavar (Big brother) like Kashyapannavar, Doddannavar, Budannavar etc. who also belong to Lingayat community.
- Patil, Birajdar, Goud (Mostly village heads). Swami (Religious head), Jangama (Religious head)
- Surnames are drawn from Cities/Towns like Gajendragadkar, Ankalgi, Bidarkar, Raichur, Sambrani etc.
- Surnames are drawn also like Angadi (Shop), Pyati (Market), Bandi (Bullock cart), Karadigudda (A Hill station with bears), Javali (Cloth Material), Mahajan (Great/learned People).
- "Names have interesting surnames in north Karnataka". The Times Of India. 2011-03-11. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Family names in North Karnataka" (PDF). Arun R Yadwad, Shivanand G Naganur, Manjunath Kamadolli, Chandrashekar Nelogal. Retrieved 2009-02-17.