|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Screenshot KDE Desktop for Crux Linux OS.
|Developer||Per Lidén and CRUX community|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||December 2002|
|Latest release||3.2 / November 23, 2015|
|Kernel type||Linux (Monolithic)|
|Default user interface||Openbox|
CRUX is a lightweight, x86-64-optimized Linux distribution targeted at experienced Linux users and delivered by a tar.xz-based package system with BSD-style initscripts. It is not based on any other Linux distribution. It also utilizes a ports system to install and upgrade applications.
CRUX does not include a GUI installation program. Instead, the user boots the kernel stored on either a CD or diskette; partitions the hard disk drive(s) to which the operating system will be installed (using a program such as fdisk or cfdisk); creates the appropriate file systems on the various partitions; mounts the CD or NFS share along with the partitions made previously for use by the package installation script; compiles a new kernel; and installs a bootloader, all via shell commands.
CRUX implements an infrastructure similar to that of BSD-based operating systems for package management. Packages consist of a Pkgfile (which is a shell script), any patches required to adjust the program to work, md5sum hashes used to verify the integrity of the downloaded files and a footprint file listing the files to be included in the packages. These files are downloaded from a CRUX software repository, compiled, and installed using the prt-get frontend to pkgutils. The software sources are downloaded from the websites of their respective upstream at the address specified in the Pkgfile.
- Release Notes for CRUX 3.2, Crux.nu, retrieved November 23, 2015
- "The Package System", Handbook (Crux.nu), retrieved January 19, 2013
- Loli, Eugenia. "Interview With the Creators of CRUX and Root Linux". OS News. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- HomePage, Crux.nu, retrieved January 19, 2013
- "6. Miscellaneous", FAQ (Crux.nu), July 22, 2008, retrieved March 26, 2012
- "Installing CRUX", Handbook (Crux.nu), retrieved March 26, 2012
- "NFSInstall", Wiki (Crux.nu), July 15, 2008, retrieved March 26, 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to CRUX.|