|Written in||C, C++, Java|
|Source model||Open source with Closed source components|
|Initial release||0.8.16 / August 16, 2010|
|Latest release||MIUI 8 Beta 6.7.7 (China), MIUI 7 Stable 7.5 (China), MIUI 7 Stable 7.5 (Global), MIUI 8 Beta 6.7.5 (Global)|
|Marketing target||Firmware replacement for Android mobile devices; stock firmware for mobile devices|
|Available in||32 languages; vary by country|
|Package manager||Google Play (excludes Mainland China) / Market / Mi Appstore (Mainland China) / APK|
|Platforms||32-bit ARM, MIPS, x86, x64|
|Kernel type||Monolithic, modified Linux kernel|
|Default user interface||GUI (multi-touch)|
|License||GNU General Public License v3
Apache License 2.0
MIUI (which stands for Mi User Interface and pronounced "Me You I", a play on the common abbreviation of the words user interface as UI), developed by Xiaomi Tech, is a stock and aftermarket firmware for smartphones and tablet computers based on the Google Android operating system. MIUI includes various features such as theming support.
Other than supporting their in-house smartphones and tablets, Xiaomi also offers MIUI to be flashed on other smartphone brands such as Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG, One Plus and Nexus.
On February 24, 2016, Xiaomi said that the MIUI ROM had over 170 million users worldwide, and was supported on over 340 handsets.
The original MIUI ROMs were based on Android 2.2.x Froyo and CyanogenMod 6 sources, and was initially developed in the Chinese language by Chinese startup Xiaomi Tech. Xiaomi added a number of apps to enhance the basic framework; those include Notes, Backup, Music, and Gallery.
Updates are usually provided over-the-air every Friday. MIUI is then translated and ported into unofficial versions in other languages by independent developers and groups of fansites.
MIUI and Google Play Services
Google has had disagreements with the Chinese government, and access to many Google services is blocked. MIUI does not ship with Google Play Services in mainland China. However, Xiaomi has expanded its operations outside China; MIUI releases for Android devices outside mainland China (e.g. in Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia) have Google Play Services and Google Apps such as Gmail, Google Maps, Google Play Store pre-installed and functioning as on any other Android device. MIUI global versions are certified by Google.
Direct downloads for country-specific releases also contain Google Play Services and Apps.
Criticisms and controversies
MIUI's kernel was proprietary, and in breach of Linux kernel's GPL. Due to criticisms, source code for certain components was released to GitHub on October 25, 2013. Kernel sources for a limited number of devices including the Mi3, Mi4, MiNote, and Redmi 1S were released in March 2015.
Since MIUI V4, based on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, Xiaomi added a virus scanning engine from partner company Tencent (formerly from Kingsoft, whose previous CEO was also Lei Jun) despite the opposition of many users. Methods of removing it were published in the MIUI's Chinese forum, since the engine was not found to be helpful.
Also during the development of MIUI V4, Xiaomi started to remove Google services from their ROMs because of Chinese government policies that arose in response to Google's disagreements with the Chinese government. The government blocked access to all Google services in mainland China, and all phones for the Chinese market are required not to allow installation of Google services. In order to raise funds for the company, MIUI has its own environment of Xiaomi, including cloud services, paid themes and games (featuring MiCredit currency). Later, during development of MIUI V5, nearly all Google services had been removed from the Chinese versions.
|Version||Android version||Last Beta release||Date of release||Last Stable release||Notable change|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V1||Up to Android Froyo
||Old version, no longer supported: 0.8.16||16 August 2010||Initial release|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V2||Up to Android Froyo
||N/A||N/A||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V3||2.3.x
||Old version, no longer supported: 2.4.20||20 April 2012||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V4||4.0.x – 4.1.x
||Old version, no longer supported: 3.2.22||22 February 2013||Added anti-virus|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V5||4.1.x – 4.4.4
||Old version, no longer supported: 4.12.5||5 December 2014||All Google Services were removed from Chinese Version|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI 6||4.4.2 – 5.0.2
||Old version, no longer supported: 5.8.6||6 August 2015||18.104.22.168.LXIMICH||Redesigned user interface|
|Current stable version: MIUI 7||4.4.4 – 6.x
||Current stable version: 6.5.26||26 May 2016||7.5.x.x||Yours by Design|
|Current stable version: MIUI 8||4.4.4 – 6.x
||Current stable version: 6.7.7||8 July 2016||-||Simplify Your Life|
Xiaomi 7.2 New Features
- Share Wi-Fi password, tapping on Wi-Fi network a QR code will appear and you can scan the QR code from another device and scanner device will get the Wi-Fi password instantly
- One hand mode
- List of custom Android firmware
- Comparison of mobile operating systems
- List of free and open-source Android applications
- Rooting (Android OS)
- About MIUI Video on YouTube
- [Announced]50 Beta Testers Wanted for Official MIUI for Nexus 7 II. Apply here, MIUI, 2014-02-26, retrieved 2014-03-05
- MIUI Official English Site, en.miui.com, retrieved 2014-02-01
- Xiaomi Phone with MIUI OS: a $310 Android with 1.5 GHz dual-core SoC and other surprises, Engadget, 2011-08-16, retrieved 2012-01-17
- Jason Lim, MIUI, Lei Jun, TechNode, retrieved 2012-01-17
- MIUI Official English Site, retrieved 2014-04-12
- "Introduction to MIUI" (Press release). Xiaomi. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "小米的MIUI被指违反GPL许可证" (in Chinese). Solidot. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "MIUI is accused of non-compliance with free software license, users request MIUI to be free software (MIUI被指责不遵守开源软件协议，网友要求公开源代码)" (in Chinese). tech2ipo. 21 Nov 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Commits". GitHub. October 25, 2013.
- GitHub MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource, GitHub, 2015-03-31, retrieved 2015-04-08
- Install MIUI Gingerbread Custom ROM On Google Nexus S 4G, Redmond Pie, 2011-05-24, retrieved 2012-01-17
- "Search Results for virus scanning engine".
- "Find all the Google Apps in Google installer!". Xiaomi Tech. June 9, 2013.