MIUI 9 interface screenshots
|Written in||C, C++, Java|
|Source model||Open source with proprietary components|
|Initial release||0.8.16 / 16 August 2010|
MIUI 9.5 Stable:|
/ July 10, 2018
MIUI 9.5 Beta:|
Alternative firmware replacement for Android devices;|
Stock firmware for Xiaomi mobile devices
|Available in||32 languages (varies by country)|
Google Play (Global)|
MI App Store (China)
|Platforms||32-bit ARM, MIPS, x86, x64|
|Kernel type||Monolithic, modified Linux kernel|
Apache License 2.0|
GNU General Public License v3
MIUI (which stands for MI User Interface and pronounced as "Me You I", a common abbreviation of the words user interface as "UI"), is a stock and aftermarket firmware for smartphones and tablet computers, developed by Xiaomi. The firmware is based on Google's Android operating system. MIUI includes various features such as theming support.
Xiaomi has released various smartphones, all but Mi A1 of which come pre-installed with a complete version of MIUI. This includes various apps and features not available in the aftermarket version of MIUI.
On February 24, 2016, Xiaomi said that the MIUI ROM had over 170 million users worldwide, and was supported on over 340 handsets.
The original MIUI ROMs were based on the Android 2.2.x Froyo and was initially developed in the Chinese language by Chinese startup Xiaomi Tech. Xiaomi added a number of apps to enhance the basic framework; those include Notes, Backup, Music, and Gallery. MIUI used to be translated and ported into unofficial versions in other languages by independent developers and groups of fansites. There are still unofficial ports being made but their popularity decreased after Xiaomi released their own cell phones. Updates are usually provided over-the-air every Thursday (CST).
MIUI and Google Play Services
Google has had disagreements with the Chinese government, and access to many Google services is blocked. MIUI does not ship with Google Play Services in mainland China. However, Xiaomi has expanded its operations outside China; MIUI releases for Android devices outside mainland China have Google Play Services and Google Apps such as Gmail, Google Maps, Google Play Store pre-installed and functioning as on any other Android device. MIUI global versions are certified by Google.
Comparison of all MIUI variants
|Languages available||Few, including Chinese and English||Wide selection|
|Selection of downloadable themes||All||Some|
|Drag up search||Yes||Yes|
|Smart Assistant||App vault|
|Default source of apps||Mi App Store||Google Play
Additionally in India: Mi Picks
|Mi Cloud services||All||Some||All|
Updated every Thursday
|Usually updated every two months||Updated every Thursday||Usually updated every two months||Updated every Friday||Usually updated every two months|
|OTA||Yes||Yes; patches are not supported, so a complete new ROM is downloaded each time|
(made by Xiaomi)
|Approved by the official distribution in the European Union.
Use on devices from the EU distribution does not void warranty.
Made by fans gathered on Xiaomi.EU website.
|Custom recovery requirement||No||Yes|
||Optional access to various Chinese online services||N/A||
|Supported Xiaomi devices||All
excluding Redmi Note 3SE and Mi 4i (dropped)
Older devices may not be updated
excluding devices never released outside PRC
Older devices may not be updated
|All cell phones
excluding Mi 4i (dropped)
Older devices may not be updated
Criticisms and controversies
MIUI's kernel was proprietary, and in breach of Linux kernel's GPL. Due to criticism, source code for certain components was released to GitHub on 25 October 2013. Kernel sources for a limited number of devices, including the Mi3, Mi4, MiNote, and Redmi 1S, were released in March 2015.
In its early days, MIUI was criticized for being visually similar to iOS, because, unlike stock Android and most Android skins at the time, it did not have an app drawer and chose to put all icons on the homescreen, like iOS. Other similarities include the app icons being in a uniform shape, the dialer and in-call interface, the organization of the Settings app, and the visual appearance of toggles in the UI. The similarities were taken even further by custom themes and mods created by fans to make MIUI simulate iOS. Xiaomi has since toned down the resemblance a bit.
Since MIUI V4, based on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, Xiaomi added a virus scanning engine from partner company Tencent (formerly from Kingsoft, whose CEO appears to be the same person) despite the opposition of many users. Methods of removing it were published in the MIUI's Chinese forum, since the engine was not found to be helpful.
Also during the development of MIUI V4, Xiaomi started to remove Google Mobile Services (GMS) from their ROMs because of Chinese government policies that arose in response to Google's disagreements with the Chinese government. The government blocked access to all Google services on every platform, in mainland China, and all phones made for the Chinese market are required not to allow the installation of GMS. GMS is present in the global variant of MIUI, however.
In order to raise funds for the company, MIUI has its own online services from Xiaomi, including cloud services, paid themes and games (featuring the MiCredit digital currency).
|Version||Screenshot||Android version||Last Beta release||Initial Beta release||Date of release||Last Stable release||Notable change|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V1||2.1
||Unknown||0.8.16||16 August 2010||N/A||Initial release|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V2||2.1-2.3.x
||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||N/A||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V3||2.3.x||Old version, no longer supported: 2.4.20||Unknown||Unknown||N/A||Redesigned user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V4||4.0.x – 4.1.x||Old version, no longer supported: 3.2.22||Unknown||Unknown||ICS24.0||
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V5||4.1.x – 4.4.2||Old version, no longer supported: 4.12.5||3.3.1||1 March 2013||22.0||
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V6||4.4.2 – 5.0.2||Old version, no longer supported: 5.8.6||4.8.29||29 August 2014||126.96.36.199||New user interface|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V7||4.4.2– 6.0.1||Old version, no longer supported: 6.5.26||5.8.13||13 August 2015||188.8.131.52||Locked bootloader on selected old devices and all released afterwards|
|Old version, no longer supported: MIUI V8||4.4.2– 7.1.1||Old version, no longer supported: 7.7.20||6.6.16||16 June 2016||184.108.40.206||
|Older version, yet still supported: MIUI V9||4.4.2 – 8.1||Old version, no longer supported: 8.5.24||7.8.10||10 August 2017||9.5.17||
|Current stable version: MIUI V10||7.0 – 8.1||Current stable version: 8.7.12||8.6.14||19 June 2018||N/A||
- List of custom Android firmware
- Comparison of mobile operating systems
- List of free and open-source Android applications
- Rooting (Android OS)
- About MIUI Video on YouTube
- [Announced]50 Beta Testers Wanted for Official nexusUI for Nougat 7 II. Apply here, MIUI, 26 February 2014, retrieved 5 March 2014
- MIUI Official English Site, en.miui.com, archived from the original on 15 February 2014, retrieved 16 March 2014
- Xiaomi Phone with MIUI OS: a $310 Android with 1.5 GHz dual-core SoC and other surprises, Engadget, 16 August 2011, retrieved 17 September 2011
- Jason Lim, MIUI, Lei Jun, TechNode, retrieved 17 January 2012
- MIUI Official English Site, archived from the original on 9 April 2014, retrieved 12 April 2014
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "Mi Picks - pick your next favorite- officially launched! Give us your feedback! - App - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "MIUI ROM Downloads". en.miui.com. Retrieved 2018-04-28.
- "MIUI 9 - 7.8.10 - First Miui 9". Xiaomi European Community & Store. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "小米的MIUI被指违反GPL许可证" (in Chinese). Solidot. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "MIUI is accused of non-compliance with free software license, users request MIUI to be free software (MIUI被指责不遵守开源软件协议，网友要求公开源代码)" (in Chinese). tech2ipo. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Commits". GitHub. 25 October 2013.
- GitHub MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource, GitHub, 31 March 2015, retrieved 8 April 2015
- "Search Results for virus scanning engine".
- "MIUI Official English Site - Redefining Android". 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "MIUI ROM 3.3.1 Changelog: MIUI V5 for Xiaomi MI2 Released!!! - MIUI General - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "MIUI Stable ROM (Global) KXDMIBF22.0 for MI3-WCDMA/CDMA Changelog & Download - Xiaomi Mi 3 - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "MIUI ROM 4.8.29 Full Changelog. MIUI 6 Released for Public! (Released) - MIUI General - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "About MIUI 7 China ROM 5.8.13. What Device Will MIUI 7 Global ROM Support First? - MIUI General - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "MIUI 8 China Developer ROM 6.6.16 Full Changelog & Supported Devices - MIUI General - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "MIUI 10首批机型公测下载 - MIUI官方网站". www.miui.com. Retrieved 2018-06-21.