|OS family||Linux (Unix-like)|
|Source model||Open source with proprietary components|
|Latest release||LXLE Focal / 26 May 2022|
|Package manager||dpkg, with several front-ends|
LXLE is a Linux distribution based upon the most recent Ubuntu/Lubuntu LTS release, using the LXDE desktop environment. LXLE is a lightweight distro, with a focus on visual aesthetics, that works well on both old and new hardware.
In a January 2014 review in Full Circle Magazine, Gabriele Tettamanzi noted that LXLE has some minor localization issues but otherwise described it as a nice "light and fast" desktop "rich" with software and "stable".
Jesse Smith reviewed LXLE 12.04.3 for DistroWatch Weekly:
Running the LXLE distribution this past week was, in my opinion, a breath of fresh air. The project's strengths are not in new technologies or revolutionary ideas, but rather in the way the developers present existing concepts in polished ways. The distribution takes a solid base (Lubuntu), a fast and familiar desktop environment (LXDE), all the modern conveniences and applications a user is likely to want and puts them together in a manner I found very pleasant and intuitive. The fact the distribution can present to us desktops with slightly different layouts and controls is a nice bonus, but really what LXLE excels at is being a "just works" desktop operating system. There is little glamor, but the interface looks good, there is a stable core, but the applications are fairly up to date. Multimedia, Flash, Java, developer tools, productivity and networking were all right at my fingertips from the moment the system finished installing. And the installation took less than fifteen minutes. There are two package managers, an easy point-n-click front-end and the more detail oriented Synaptic for experienced users.
Jesse Smith also reviewed LXDE 14.04, concluding, "Generally speaking, I enjoyed my time with LXLE. The distribution got off to a good start with a smooth installation process and the project features clear documentation and release notes, letting people know exactly what to expect from the distribution. I like the LXDE desktop as I feel it does an excellent job of balancing user friendliness, performance and features."
In reviewing LXLE 18.04.3, Marius Nestor of Softpedia said, "LXLE features unique Expose, Aero Snap, and Quick Launch apps, random or interval wallpaper changers, theme consistency throughout the system, as well as numerous other tweaks and additions you won't find in other distros. The system is very fast and boots in less than one minute, and it's perfect to revive that old PC."
The current version LXLE Focal is based on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS with LXDE.
|Legend:||Old version, not maintained||Older version, still maintained||Current stable version||Latest preview version||Future release|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 12.04.3||2013-08-19|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 12.04.4||2014-02-09|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 14.04||2014-06-14|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 14.04.1||2014-10-23|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 12.04.5||2015-04-05|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 14.04.2||2015-04-05|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 14.04.3||2015-08-31|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 14.04.4||2016-03-26|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 16.04.1 LTS||2016-07-29|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 16.04.2 LTS||2017-04-07|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 16.04.3 LTS||2017-11-22|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 16.04.4 LTS||2018-05-19|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 18.04.3 LTS||2019-09-09|
|Current stable version: LXLE Focal||2022-05-26|
- ^ "LXLE download SourceForge.net".
- ^ a b "LXLE Focal Released". lxle.net.
- ^ "What is it? < The LXLE Desktop". lxle.net. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- ^ "Revive Your Old PC With Lightweight Linux LXLE". makeuseof.com. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- ^ Germain, Jack M. (31 January 2014). "Linux Insider". www.linuxinsider.com. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- ^ Tettamanzi, Gabriele (January 2015). "Review" (PDF). Full Circle Magazine. Full Circle Magazine. pp. 36–37. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- ^ "DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 524, 9 September 2013". distrowatch.com.
- ^ "DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD". distrowatch.com. Retrieved 2022-09-24.
- ^ Nestor, Marius (22 November 2021). "LXLE 18.04.3 Linux OS Released for Old PCs, It's Based on Ubuntu 18.04.3". Softpedia. Archived from the original on 22 November 2021. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- ^ "Have an older PC? Try the new Ubuntu Linux-based LXLE". PCWorld.
- ^ LXLE Linux 14.04.1 review - Champagne without bubbles, Dedoimedo
- ^ "LXLE Gives Aging Hardware a New Lease on Life". LinuxInsider. April 18, 2016.
- ^ Wallen, Jack (December 29, 2016). "LXLE: A Linux Distribution Light on Resources But Heavy on Function".
- ^ Gibbs, Mark (September 29, 2016). "LXLE: A Linux distro to give new life to old hardware". Network World.
- ^ "Articles < The LXLE Desktop". lxle.net. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- ^ "LXLE Review: A Hassle-free Linux for Older Hardware". It's FOSS. December 16, 2017.
- ^ Download LXLE 16.04.4, Softpedia Linux. Archived 1 June 2018 at the Wayback Machine