|Initial release||1 February 2005|
|Latest release||8.15 / January 25, 2017|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||GNOME|
Parsix GNU/Linux is a live and installation DVD based on Debian. The Parsix project's goal is to provide a ready to use, easy to install, desktop and laptop optimized operating system based on Debian's testing branch and the latest stable release of GNOME desktop environment. It is possible to install extra software packages from the projects's own APT repositories.
Parsix GNU/Linux is designed to be used as a Live CD, Live USB, or installed operating system on a hard disk drive. Live mode is useful for operations such as data recovery or hard drive partitioning.
The first version of Parsix GNU/Linux was announced on February 2005 by Alan Baghumian. Seeking a more stable platform, the project started using Debian testing branch as of version 0.85. Starting with version 0.90, Parsix uses characters from the movie Happy Feet to name their releases. The project's own APT repositories were launched on February 2008. The multimedia repository, Wonderland, was launched on September 2010. The Parsix project started to offer security updates for their stable and testing branches as of December 2010.
DistroWatch Weekly reviewed Parsix 1.5r1 in 2008:
Parsix is a nice solid little distro, but I'm finding it difficult to list one hard compelling reason why someone should switch to it. If you prefer the Persian language and keyboard, then Parsix is definitely for you. If you'd like a nice Debian derivative with a pretty GNOME desktop that works good, comes in one CD, and uses APT/Synaptic, then perhaps give Parsix a try.
LinuxBSDos wrote the review of Parsix 3.0r2:
This is clearly a negative review, and at some level, I’m hoping that someone will prove to me that this review is completely off the mark. I’m waiting.
- "ReleaseNotes815r0 – Parsix GNU/Linux - Desktop Linux Operating System". www.parsix.org. Archived from the original on 26 January 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Parsix GNU/Linux". Parsix GNU/Linux Project.
- Parsix Apt Repositories
- Parsix Logo Page
- Distribution Release: Parsix GNU/Linux 0.45
- 0.85-Test-3 Announcement
- Happy Feet Announcement
- Continent and Official Repositories Announcement
- Baghumian, Alan (September 6, 2010). "[Parsix-Users] Parsix GNU/Linux 3.6r0 aka Vinnie is out!". Archived from the original on March 22, 2012.
- Vinnie r1 Release Announcement Archived 2011-08-20 at the Wayback Machine
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 655, 4 April 2016
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 631, 12 October 2015
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 589, 15 December 2014
- Parsix 5.0 “Lombardo” review | LinuxBSDos.com
- Parsix 3.7 review | LinuxBSDos.com
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 422, 12 September 2011
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 264, 04 Aug 2008
- Parsix 3.0r2 review | LinuxBSDos.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parsix.|