Prabhadevi railway station
|Mumbai Suburban Railway station|
|Owned by||Ministry of Railways, Indian Railways|
|Structure type||Standard on-ground station|
|Fare zone||Western Railways|
Prabhadevi, previously known as Elphinstone Road, is a railway station on the Western line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway in Mumbai, India. It has 2 platforms, on which only slow trains halt. A footbridge links Prabhadevi to Parel station on the Central Line.
The station was originally called Elphinstone Road after Lord Elphinstone, the Governor of Bombay from 1853 to 1860. The Maharashtra Assembly passed a resolution on 16 December 2016 to rename the station as Prabhadevi. This renaming was first proposed by Shiv Sena leader Diwakar Raote in 1991. The name Prabhadevi comes from Hindu goddess Prabhavati Devi. A 12th century idol of the goddess is installed inside an 18th-century temple located near the station. The Union Home Ministry approved the Maharashtra Government's proposal on 6 May 2017.
The name of Elphinstone Road railway station officially changed to Prabhadevi from July 19, 2018. The new station code is PBHD. 
At least 22 people have been killed and more than 39 injured during a rush-hour stampede at the Foot-Over Bridge of the Elphinstone Road Railway Station which connects to Parel Railway Station of Central Railway. The exact cause of the crush at Prabhadevi station, formerly known as Elphinstone Road, was spread of rumours of Electric Short-Circuit & Collapse of FOB which frightened the passengers standing on it waiting for the sudden heavy rain to stop. Railway Minister of State Manoj Sinha said the stampede is believed to have started on a pedestrian bridge during the Friday morning commuter rush. Tanaji Kamble, a spokesman for Mumbai’s disaster management division, said the death toll was likely to rise. He added that at least five people had been critically injured. Mumbai police have appealed for blood donations to help treat the injured at the KEM Hospital. 
- Manthan K Mehta (2011-12-21). "Parel terminus plan to ease Dadar woes". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Binoo Nair (2013-10-22). "Parel station: A commuter's worst nightmare". DNA. DNA. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Proposal cleared, Elphinstone Road Station name is now Prabhadevi | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 7 May 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Centre nod to rename Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus and Elphinstone Road station". Hindustan Times. 7 May 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Mumbai's Elphinstone now renamed 'Prabhadevi' station, CST gets tweaked too". Business Standard India. 8 May 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Elphinstone Road station to become Prabhadevi". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Mumbai steps up removal of British names from railway stations The Guardian 7 July 2017
- Chatterjee, Debjani (July 19, 2018). "It's Prabhadevi Now, Not Elphinstone Station In Mumbai". NDTV.
- "Mumbai railway station stampede kills at least 22". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
|This article about a railway station in the Indian state of Maharashtra is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|