This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
View of Borivali skyline from Sanjay Gandhi National Park
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||MH-02 |
|Lok Sabha constituency||Mumbai North|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Borivali |
Borivali was developed of what once used to be a congregate region of smaller towns namely; Eksar, Poisar, Vazira, Shimpoli, Mandpeshwar, Kanheri, Tulsi, Magathane and others, which were situated on and around Mount Poinsur, between the Dahisar River and Poisar River.
It is believed that the name "Borivali" comes from the existence of a lot of bushes of a sweet fruit called "Borr(Marathi)" meaning berries in English. Hence, named the town of berries literally 'bori-vali'. The existence of the ancient temple of Lord Ganesha "Shree Svayambhu Ganpati devalaya" in Vazira Naka area, meaning the 'self-manifested ' or the 'one that is created from its own accord' in Hinduism and Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church, at Mt. Poinsur, Christian church are the real examples of the mix of ethnicity and vibrant cultural mix of the population living here since ages.
The pre-historic era's "Mandpeshwar" and "Kanheri caves" stand a testament to the rich history of this place. Borivali was spelt 'Berewlee' by the then ruled India under the British Raj Era. It is also spelt and pronounced as "Borivli".
Borivali is lush green still even after being populated densely due to the presence of, previously known as the "BORIVALI NATIONAL PARK" in the east and the lush mangroves in the west end of Borivali.
One of the many gardens that Borivali boasts of is the Veer Savarkar Udyan on Lokmanya Tilak Road. It has four entrances from T.P.S. road, Factory lane and Babhai and is an ideal place for all which have facilities like jogging track, boating area, kids' play-garden, skating etc. Gorai Udyan is at Gorai Sector-1. In 2009, Jhansi Ki Rani Laxmibai Joggers' Park was inaugurated on Link road adjacent to the famous Eskay Resort. The plot measures around 4 acres, has a jogging track surrounding a water body where boating facilities have been started and features slabs with information on various freedom fighters scripted on them, besides seating areas for senior citizens. Another Joggers' Park is located in Chikuwadi. Borivali is a melting pot of different ages as the large number of gardens in the western part of this suburb makes this an ideal residential option for kids, senior citizens, the middle aged, and college goers. It has also become a hub for street food.
Road Ways: Autorickshaws, Taxis, BEST buses and Trains are the public modes of transport available in and to Borivali. Connectivity is set to increase with the two metro lines set to pass through Borivali viz. Mumbai Metro Line 2 and Mumbai Metro Line 7
Borivali railway station is a railway station on the Western line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway network.
- Rohit Sharma, Indian Cricketer, Swami Vivekanand International School student
- Jaywant Dalvi, Marathi author
- Dhondutai Kulkarni, Hindustani classical singer
- Ratnakar Pai, Hindustani classical singer
- Drashti Dhami, TV Actress
- Avdhoot Gupte, Marathi Classical Singer
- Bhavya Gandhi, Child Artist Known as Tapu in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
- Tanuj Mahashabde, Artist Known as Iyer in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
- Rohan Shah, Actor, Acted in Channel V and Aao Wish Karein (Movie)
- Asha Bhosale, Singer
- Bose Krishnamachari, Malayali Painter
- Vinod Tawde, Member of Legislative Assembly, Minister
- Ram Naik, UP Governor, former minister
- Gorai Beach is on the western end of Borivali. One can reach here by crossing the Gorai Creek in a ferry. Rickshaw is available on the other side of the ferry. On holidays the beach is full of visitors and localites. Plenty of accommodation options are also available at Gorai beach.
- Essel World: One of Mumbai's largest amusement parks.
- Water Kingdom: Asia's largest water park.
- VIBGYOR Group of Schools
- Swami Vivekanand International School
- Saint Francis D'Assisi High School
- Mary Immaculate Girls' High School
- Our Lady of Vailankanni High School
- Abhinav Vidya Mandir
- S.E. International School
- Covers western part of the suburb
- Covers eastern part of the suburb
- "The Sanjay Gandhi National Park" (SGNP)
- "Rohit makes a mark with T20". NDTV. 25 September 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-16.[permanent dead link]
- "Gorai Beach". Retrieved 26 March 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Esselworld". www.esselworld.in. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Water Kingdom - Asia's Largest Theme Water Park". www.waterkingdom.in. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "ICSE | CBSE School in Borivali, Mumbai - VIBGYOR High". www.vibgyorhigh.com. Retrieved 2017-11-25.