NM4 concept at 2014 Tokyo Motor Show
|Manufacturer||Honda Motor Company|
|Also called||Honda Vultus concept|
|Class||Feet forwards power cruiser|
|Engine||670 cc 8-valve SOHC parallel-twin with twin balance shafts|
10.7:1 compression ratio
|Transmission||6-speed hydraulic, dual clutch transmission|
|Frame type||Steel diamond|
|Suspension||43 mm forks|
|Brakes||Front: 1 × 320 mm wave disc, two-piston caliper |
Rear: 1 × 240 mm wave disc, single-piston caliper
|Tires||Front: 120/70 ZR18 |
Rear: 200/50 ZR17
|Rake, trail||33°, 110 mm|
|Dimensions||L: 2,380 mm|
W: 933 mm at the mirrors
H: 1,170 mm
|Seat height||650 mm|
|Weight||245 kg (540 lb) (curb weight) (wet)|
|Fuel capacity||11.6 L (2.6 imp gal; 3.1 US gal)|
|Fuel consumption||28.4 km/l (80 mpg‑imp; 67 mpg‑US) (WMTC mode)|
The NM4 was shown under the name "NM4 Vultus" as a concept motorcycle at the March, 2014 Osaka Motorcycle Show and Tokyo Motor Show. In April, Honda dropped the "Vultus" name and announced the motorcycle would go sale in June of the same year. The production bike for the US is to have a 670 cc engine, unlike the show bike's 745 cc.
It has a feet forwards design compared to the motorcycle in the anime Akira. Styling was provocative; critics described it as "front massive", as a "scootercycle hybrid" similar to Honda's DN-01, a "mashup", and one said "it isn't pretty".
The engine and dual clutch transmission were sourced from the production NC700 motorcycle/NC700D "Integra" scooter. The concept NM4-02 variant had panniers; the NM4-01 had none. The production NM4 will have 16 liter panniers. The Honda website says the model is a "limited edition".
Specifications in the adjacent box are from Top Speed.
- Bornhop 2014.
- George 2014.
- Cameron 2014.
- Madson 2014.
- Beeler 2014: "[T]he two designs, the Honda Honda NM4-1 (black) and Honda NM4-2 (white) are sort of a mashup between the company’s DN-01, Valkyrie, and the bike from the anime movie Akira."
- Ets-Hokin 2014.
- Roadrunner 2014.
- Top Speed 2014.
- Beeler, Jensen (March 20, 2014), 2014 Honda NM4 Vultus Debuts in Japan, Asphalt & Rubber
- Madson, Bart (March 21, 2014), Honda NM4 Vultus Concept First Look, Motorcycle USA
- Cameron, Kevin (March 21, 2014), HONDA NM4 VULTUS – FIRST LOOK: "Front Massive Styling" defines prototype parallel-twin motorcycle unveiled in Japan, Cycle World
- 2014 Honda NM4 Vultus, Top Speed, March 21, 2014
- Ets-Hokin, Gabe (March 25, 2014), Honda and Hero Showcase the Future … and It Isn't Pretty, Motorcycle Daily
- "Honda reveals NM4 Vultus at Osaka Motorcycle Show", HT Autoz blog, Hindustan Times–Autocar India, March 25, 2014[permanent dead link]
- George, Alexander (March 25, 2014), "Honda Goes Full-Blown Anime With Its Latest Bonkers Bike", Autoblog, Wired
- Bornhop, Andrew (April 1, 2014), 2015 HONDA NM4 – FIRST LOOK: Futuristic Honda joins the 2015 lineup. Is the US ready for such a motorcycle?, Cycle World
- 2015 Honda NM4: Welcome to the Future, Roadrunner, Apr 3, 2014