|Compatible networks|| GSM 850/1900 or |
|Availability by region||2004|
|Dimensions||104 x 44 x 18.8 mm|
|Operating system||Series 40|
|Memory||4.5 MB (2.5 MB User & 1MB Java)|
|Battery||BL-5B 760 mAh|
|Display||128 x 128 65,536 color TFT LCD|
|Rear camera||640 x 480 VGA (0.3 mpix) with video recording capability|
The Nokia 3220 is a GSM, Series 40 mobile phone from Nokia. The Nokia 3220 was introduced on 31 May 2004 as a "fun" device with LED lights and Xpress-on covers. It was the first entry-level phone that offered full access to the Internet, with an XHTML browser and POP3/IMAP email client. The tri-band camera phone uses GPRS and EDGE for its internet connections.
The phone can be seen as an upgrade of the Nokia 3200. Like the 3200, custom rear face plates can be created by the user. A stencil is available in the pack. While features such as infrared and a built-in FM radio are removed, new features such as rhythmic LED flashing lights (two on each side), wave messaging, voice dialing, themes, and a video recorder are added. With the addition of an optional face plate, when the phone is waved back and forth rapidly, a light message of text is produced in mid-air. An FM radio can be added on with the use of the phone's Pop-Port. The 3220 features a 16-bit (65,536) color screen, which is an improvement over the 3200's 12-bit (4096) color screen. The phone also has more internal memory than the 3200. The CIF camera is also upgraded to 0.3 megapixels VGA (640x480 resolution, for photos), and features video recording (128x96) capability. At just 86 grams, the Nokia 3220 is also very lightweight.
The phone has a built-in browser which seems to be very slow (in terms of data processing) to many. It can download files of any format but cannot open SIS, SVG, WAV, MP3, MP4 etc. files. It downloads many files which are Copyright Protected. These files cannot be sent via MMS. This phone supports MMS under 100 kilobytes. The Java games or applications must be under 120 kb otherwise the phone cannot run them. It has a memory shortage and often causes Java applications to stop due to the lack of RAM.
Supported formats: Image: JPG, JPEG, BMP, WBMP, PNG, GIF. Sound: MID, AMR, MP3 (only firmware v5.10 or higher). Java: JAR, JAD. Theme: NTH
- Nokia 3220b for North America - GSM 850/1900 with GPRS and EDGE technology.
- Nokia 3220 for Europe/Asia/Africa - GSM 900/1800/1900 with GPRS and EDGE technology.
- "New Nokia 3220 can be used for light signals". www.geekzone.co.nz. Retrieved 2021-07-27.
- "Nokia 3220 - Mobile Gazette - Mobile Phone News". www.mobilegazette.com. Retrieved 2021-07-27.
- "Nokia 3220 Review". ZDNet. Retrieved 2021-07-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2019-02-03. Retrieved 2018-10-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Nokia Announces the World's First NFC Enabled Mobile Product for Contactless Payment and Ticketing". SecureIDNews. Retrieved 2021-07-27.
- "RFID: Nokia NFC shell for Nokia 3220 Phone - I4U News". web.archive.org. 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2021-07-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nokia 3220.|
- Nokia 3220 - mobile-review
- Nokia 3220 - CNET
- Nokia 3220 specifications - Phone Scoop
- Nokia 3220 Review Archived 2008-10-11 at the Wayback Machine - Phone Scoop
- Nokia 3220 Review - about.com
- Nokia 3220 User Guide in English - nokia.com