Nokia 9 PureView
The penta-camera setup on the rear panel
|Manufacturer||FIH Mobile (Foxconn)|
|Slogan||Explore every detail|
|First released||8 February 2019|
|Predecessor||Nokia 8 Sirocco |
Nokia Lumia 1020 & Lumia Mclaren (spiritual)
|Dimensions||H: 155 mm (6.1 in)|
W: 75 mm (3.0 in)
D: 8 mm (0.31 in)
|Mass||172 g (6.1 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android 9.0 "Pie"|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 845|
|CPU||Octa-core (4x2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)|
|Memory||6 GB LPDDR4X RAM|
|Storage||128 GB UFS 2.1|
|Battery||Non-removable Li-Po 3320 mAh|
|Display||5.99 in (15.2 cm) 1440 x 2880 QHD P-OLED|
Gorilla Glass 5
|Rear camera||5x Wide (2x RGB + 3x monochrome) 12 MP, f/1.8, 1.4 μm, 28mm, 1/2.9" + ToF sensor |
|Front camera||20 MP, 1.0 μm|
|Connectivity||LTE Cat16 1024 Mbps DL / Cat13 150 Mbps UL |
Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO), GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, Galileo, ANT+, NFC
USB 3.1 Type-C
|Other||IP67 water resistance |
Qi wireless charging
|Website||Nokia 9 Pureview|
The Nokia 9 PureView is a Nokia-branded flagship smartphone developed by HMD Global. It was introduced at the 2019 Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, Spain. It alludes to Nokia's previous camera-centric PureView devices, which ended with the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. Like most of HMD's Nokia smartphones, the 9 PureView is part of the Android One program.
Key upgrades over the Nokia 8 Sirocco include a faster Snapdragon 845 chip and Adreno 630 GPU, a taller 2:1 screen, an in-display fingerprint scanner, a slightly larger battery capacity and 5 rear cameras with a time-of-flight sensor. Externally, the 9 keeps the glass-sandwich construction of the Sirocco, but it shelves the Sirocco's stainless steel chassis in favor of 6000 series aluminum.
The 9 uses a penta-camera system, 2 of which are RGB sensors and 3 of which are monochromatic sensors. All 5 lenses are identical 12 MP f/1.8 units. When a picture is taken, each camera takes a separate image, then the images are combined and processed by a digital signal processor. Pictures can be taken in both JPEG and RAW formats and can be edited afterwards through Adobe Lightroom, which can be installed during setup. Additionally, the 9 has a Pro mode which simulates DSLR settings. A feature called Depth Map captures more than 1200 layers of depth data. Depth Map is enabled by the time-of-flight sensor and only works with JPEG and RGB photos. The 9 also has a 20 MP front-facing camera with HDR.
The Nokia 9 ships with Android One's version of Android 9 Pie pre-installed.
PC Magazine concluded that the 9 "could be the right smartphone for shutterbugs, but there are better options for everyone else". Praise was directed towards the design, display and software. Tom's Guide and Digital Trends felt that the RAW-Lightroom integration provided users with significantly more control over photographs. The in-display fingerprint scanner and battery life were both criticized. Reviewers also noted that the image processing was slow and were disappointed that a camera-oriented phone lacked an SD card slot.
The 9 PureView received an overall score of 85 from DxOMark (matching that of Apple's iPhone 7 and LG's V30), with a photo score of 88 and a video score of 80. DxOMark remarks that "[W]ith the possible exception of its Bokeh capability, the Nokia 9 PureView doesn’t deliver either a Photo or Video performance on a par with other current model phones in its premium price range."
- "Nokia 9 Pureview – Explore every detail".
- Stein, Scott (February 25, 2019). "Nokia 9 PureView has 5 rear cameras: *yawn*". CNET. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Nokia 9 Pureview goes official, see the first five-camera setup". gsmArena. February 24, 2019. Retrieved February 24, 2019.
- Chokkattu, Julian (March 4, 2019). "How to Use the Nokia 9 PureView's camera to step up your photography game". Digital Trends. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Winkelman, Steven (March 4, 2019). "Nokia 9 PureView Review & Rating". PC Magazine. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Chokkattu, Julian (March 3, 2019). "The Nokia 9 PureView's astonishingly fun 5 cameras make up for its shortcomings". Digital Trends. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Tracy, Phillip (March 12, 2019). "A 5-Camera Flagship Contender". Tom's Guide. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Cardinal, David. "Nokia 9 PureView camera review". DxOMark. Retrieved September 7, 2019.