The Wisconsin Portal
Wisconsin is a Great Lakes state in the United States. Its name is thought to be an adaptation of the Ojibwe word for "Red-stone place." Other theories are that it means "Gathering of the Waters" or "Great Rock."
It became the 30th state on May 29, 1848. According to the U.S. Census of 2010, Wisconsin's population was 5,686,986. Its capital is Madison and the largest city is Milwaukee.
Called "America's Dairyland," Wisconsin is best known for its cheese and the Green Bay Packers. The state is also noted for its historic breweries, bratwurst, and Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
With its location between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River, Wisconsin is home to a wide variety of geographical and glacial features. This varied landscape makes the state a popular vacation destination for outdoor recreation.
Milwaukee is the largest city in the state of Wisconsin and the 22nd largest (by population) in the United States. Located on the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan, the city is the county seat of Milwaukee County.
Once known almost exclusively as a brewing and manufacturing powerhouse, Milwaukee has taken steps over the past few years to reshape its image, in large part by reviving its downtown. In the past decade, new additions to downtown have included the Milwaukee Riverwalk, the Midwest Airlines Center, an internationally renowned addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum, as well as major renovations to the Milwaukee Auditorium and U.S. Cellular Arena. In addition, many new skyscrapers, condos, lofts, and apartments have been constructed in neighborhoods on or near the lakefront and riverbanks for the purpose of attracting new residents to the city.
Dwyane Tyrone Wade, Jr. (born January 17, 1982) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Miami Heat in the National Basketball Association (NBA). His nicknames include "Flash" and "D-Wade". Wade was named 2006 Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated. Despite the unorthodox spelling, Wade's first name is pronounced as Dwayne; often in print media, it is misspelled as such. Wade has established himself as one of the most well-known and popular players in the league. He had the top selling jersey in the NBA for nearly two years, as he led the NBA in jersey sales from the 2005 NBA playoffs, until the mid-point of the 2006-07 NBA season.
After entering the league with little fanfare as the fifth pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, Wade has become one of the most accomplished young players in the NBA today. Having made the All-Rookie team in his first season and the All-Star team the following five seasons, Wade led the Miami Heat to their first NBA Championship in franchise history in his third pro campaign. He was named the 2006 NBA Finals MVP as he led the Heat to a 4–2 series win over the Dallas Mavericks. At the 2008 Summer Olympics, Wade led the United States Men's Basketball team, commonly known as the Redeem Team, in scoring, as they captured gold medal honors in Beijing, China.
Did you know...
Select [+] to view subcategories
Things you can do
- To Nominate at WP:FAC:
- To Improve to Featured standard: Door Peninsula, Flag of Wisconsin, Governor of Wisconsin, Green Bay (Lake Michigan), Green Bay Packers, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, Madison, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Mississippi River, Outline of Wisconsin, Robert M. La Follette Sr., University of Wisconsin–Madison, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Wisconsin River, List of tallest buildings in Milwaukee, List of tallest buildings in Madison
- To Expand:Wisconsin gubernatorial election, 2012, American Players Theatre, Brown Deer Park Golf Course, Burlington Liars' Club, Cheesehead, Joshua Glover, Oneida Nation of Wisconsin, Wisconsin State Fair, Wisconsin State Fair Park, Wisconsin Conservatory of Music, Milwaukee Advertiser, Irvine Park (Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin), Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. See also Category:Wisconsin stubs
- To Clean up: August 2005 Wisconsin tornado outbreak
- To Deorphan:
- To Create: Arthur Oliver Smith, Indianhead (region), Jack Wayne Hall, Kids From Wisconsin, Pat White (soccer), Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds, Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, Racine North Breakwater Light, Dunlap Reef Range Lighthouse, Arnold Zander
- Categories to populate:
- Lists to de-redlink: List of rivers of Wisconsin
- Lists to complete: List of bike trails in Wisconsin, List of Wisconsin amusement parks, List of newspapers in Wisconsin, List of Wisconsin magazines, Sports in Wisconsin
- Wanted Pics/Graphics: See Category:Wikipedia requested photographs in Wisconsin