Tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Tourism in Andaman and Nicobar Islands relates to tourism in union territory of India, Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The Andamans is an archipelago of over 570 tropical islands, of which only 36 are inhabited. Radhanagar beach at Havelock Island was bestowed with the title of ‘Asia’s Best Beach’ in 2004 by the TIME magazine. It is also listed as world’s 7th most spectacular beach on Time magazine list.
Tourism is a major industry in Andaman. Bulk of the revenue earned by the government of Andaman and Nicobar is through the tourism industry. In 2008 total 136,426 tourists visited Andaman and Nicobar. Growing sectors in tourism and potential area of investment are water sports and adventure tourism including trekking, island camping, snorkeling and scuba diving. Sea aquarium, water theme park, wave surfing, marina yacht, convention centre, health resorts, sanctuaries, national park, inter-island cruise liner.
Andaman and Nicobar has approximately 86 percent of forest area of its total land. The forests constitute an integral wing of the natural resource of Andaman and Nicobar and it houses 96 Sanctuaries and 9 National Parks.
The primary sanctuaries that form a part of the natural resources of Andaman and Nicobar islands are Narcondum Hornbill Sanctuary, which protects hornbills; Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, which features a large variety of aquatic creatures; Nicobar Pigeon Sanctuary; South Sentinel Island Sanctuary, offering giant robber crabs; and North Reef Sanctuary, which is principally dedicated to the nurturing of a variety of water birds.
Following are the major tourist attractions in Andaman and Nicobar islands.
Ross Island was the seat of British administration.
Viper Island is near Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, was the site of the jail where the British used to imprison convicts and political prisoners. It has the ruins of a gallows atop a hillock. The jail was abandoned when the Cellular Jail was constructed in 1906.
Radhanagar Beach is a beautiful pristine clean beach located on the western coast of Havelock Island. It was voted the best beach in Asia by TIME in 2004 . Also known as infinite beach and is now one of the top 100 beaches in the world.
The Cellular Jail, also known as Kālā Pānī (Black Water), was a colonial prison. The prison was used by the British especially to exile political prisoners to the remote archipelago. Many notable dissidents such as Batukeshwar Dutt and Veer Savarkar, among others, were imprisoned here during the struggle for India's independence. Today, the complex serves as a national memorial monument.
Outline of tourism in India
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tourism in India.|
- List of World Heritage Sites in India
- List of national parks of India
- List of lakes of India
- List of waterfalls in India
- List of State Protected Monuments in India
- List of beaches in India
- Incredible India
- List of Geographical Indications in India
- Medical tourism in India
- List of botanical gardens in India
- List of hill stations in India
- List of gates in India
- List of zoos in India
- List of protected areas of India
- List of aquaria in India
- List of forts in India
- List of forests in India
- Buddhist pilgrimage sites in India
- Hindu pilgrimage sites in India
- List of rock-cut temples in India
- Wildlife sanctuaries of India
- List of rivers of India
- List of mountains in India
- List of ecoregions in India
- Coral reefs in India
- List of stadiums in India
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Andaman and Nicobar Islands.|
- India. Planning Commission (1 January 2008). Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Development Report. Academic Foundation. pp. 205–. ISBN 978-81-7188-652-4.
- The Indian Panorama. "ANDAMAN & NICOBAR ISLANDS - Incredible India | Travel on The Indian Panorama". Theindianpanorama.com. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "D A I J I W O R L D". D A I J I W O R L D. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- 19 Jul, 2015, 04.00AM IST (2015-07-19). "Andaman's Havelock Island: The picturesque coral reefs are a haven for divers to explore the beauty of aquatic life - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2015-07-29.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "9 Reasons Why Havelock Island Is The Pearl Of Andaman - News Stories, Latest News Headlines on Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- "World's 100 best beaches - CNN.com". CNN. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- History of Andaman Cellular Jail: Recapture of Andaman Islands to keep Political Prisoners Archived 2011-08-29 at the Wayback Machine. AndamanCellularJail.org. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Andaman and Nicobar Island Tourism". Andamansguide. Retrieved 2016-09-06.