Caledonian Road & Barnsbury railway station
|Caledonian Road & Barnsbury|
Caledonian Road & Barnsbury
Location of Caledonian Road & Barnsbury in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Islington|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1852||Opened as Caledonian Road|
|1870||relocated east, renamed Barnsbury|
|1893||renamed Caledonian Road & Barnsbury|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
Caledonian Road & Barnsbury railway station in the London Borough of Islington in North London is on the North London Line and is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station and all trains serving it are operated by London Overground. The station opened in 1870 as "Barnsbury" replacing the 1852 Caledonian Road station which was slightly west of the present site. Barnsbury was renamed "Caledonian Road & Barnsbury" in 1893.
The station entrance on Offord Street leads to the old westbound platform (until February 2010) from which a footbridge gives access to the brand new island platforms, curiously numbered 2 and 3, probably to distinguish from the old platform 1. There is a footpath, with Oyster readers, from Caledonian Road to the entrance.
The typical off-peak weekday, Saturday and Sunday service at the station in trains per hour is
- 4 westbound to Richmond
- 2 westbound to Clapham Junction (no service in very late evening)
- 6 eastbound to Stratford
A few late night westbound trains run only as far as Camden Road.
Monday - Friday Peak hours
To allow four-car trains to run on the London Overground network, the North London Line between Gospel Oak and Stratford closed in February 2010, and reopened 1 June 2010, in order for a new signalling system to be installed and 30 platforms to be extended. After the reopening the work continued until May 2011 with a reduced service and none on Sundays.
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|North London Line||
- National Rail Enquiries: Caledonian Road & Barnsbury (CIR) Accessed 11 July 2010
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Disused Stations: Barnsbury
- Table 59 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- "London Overground to close from Gospel Oak to Stratford as part of £326m upgrade to deliver longer, more frequent trains". TfL. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Caledonian Road & Barnsbury railway station from National Rail
- Excel file displaying National Rail station usage information for 2005/06