Caledonian Road & Barnsbury railway station
|Caledonian Road & Barnsbury|
|Local authority||London Borough of Islington|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|10 June 1852||Opened as Caledonian Road|
|21 November 1870||relocated east, renamed Barnsbury|
|1893||renamed Caledonian Road & Barnsbury|
|London transport portal|
Caledonian Road & Barnsbury railway station in the London Borough of Islington in North London is on the North London line and is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station and all trains serving it are operated by London Overground. The station opened in 1870 as "Barnsbury" replacing the 1852 Caledonian Road station which was slightly west of the present site. Barnsbury was renamed "Caledonian Road & Barnsbury" in 1893.
The station entrance on Offord Street leads to the old westbound platform (until February 2010) from which a footbridge gives access to the brand new island platforms, curiously numbered 2 and 3, probably to distinguish from the old platform 1. There is a footpath, with Oyster readers, from Caledonian Road to the entrance.
The typical off-peak weekday, Saturday and Sunday service at the station in trains per hour is
To allow four-car trains to run on the London Overground network, the North London line between Gospel Oak and Stratford closed in February 2010, and reopened 1 June that year, in order for a new signalling system to be installed and 30 platforms to be extended. After the reopening the work continued until May 2011 with a reduced service and none on Sundays.
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|Camden Road||North London Line||Highbury & Islington|
- National Rail Enquiries: Caledonian Road & Barnsbury (CIR). Retrieved 11 July 2010
- "Estimates of station usage". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Disused Stations: Barnsbury
- "Islington: Communications | British History Online".
- "Richmond and Clapham Junction to Stratford route" (PDF). 15 May 2022.
- "London Overground to close from Gospel Oak to Stratford as part of £326m upgrade to deliver longer, more frequent trains". TfL. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "Caledonian Road & Barnsbury Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 17 October 2020.