Dunkeld & Birnam railway station
|Dunkeld & Birnam|
|Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Chailleann & Braonan|
|Local authority||Perth and Kinross|
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Dunkeld & Birnam from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Dunkeld & Birnam railway station serves the towns of Dunkeld and Birnam in Perth and Kinross, Scotland. It is located on the Highland Main Line, 15 miles 31 chains (24.8 km) north of Perth and is the first stop on the line north of there. It has a passing loop 28 chains (560 m) long, flanked by two platforms. Platform 1 on the up (southbound) line can accommodate trains having twelve coaches, but platform 2 on the down (northbound) line can only hold ten.
The station opened in April 1856, as the terminus of the Perth and Dunkeld Railway from Stanley Junction (on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway). Seven years later, it became a through station when the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway opened its line to Inverness via Pitlochry and Forres (the I&PJR had taken over the Perth & Dunkeld company that year - prior to this, the SMJR had worked the line).
From 1863 to 1896 the station master was John Kinnaird.
On Sundays only, the London North Eastern Railway "Highland Chieftain" service calls southbound only en route to London King's Cross; there are 4 trains per day to Inverness and 4 trains per day to Edinburgh Waverley in total.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Perth||London North Eastern Railway
East Coast Main Line
Highland Caledonian Sleeper
Line open; station closed
Perth and Dunkeld Railway
Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Line open; station closed
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . "Gaelic/English Station Index". Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- Brailsford 2017, map 19A.
- "Railscot - Perth and Dunkeld Railway" Crawford, Ewan; Railbrit.co.uk; Retrieved 11 August 2016
- "Retirement of Dunkeld Stationmaster". Dundee Advertiser. Scotland. 17 December 1896. Retrieved 30 August 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- Table 229 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dunkeld and Birnam railway station.|