|Born||11 November 1924|
Lashkar, Madhya Pradesh, India
|Died||30 September 2011 (aged 86)|
New Delhi, India
Shashi Bhushan (1924–2011) was an Indian independence activist, social worker, politician, writer and an institution builder. He was the founder of several organisations such as Rashtriya Ekta Samiti, All India Freedom Fighters' Organisation, Punjab Ekta Samiti and the Institute for Socialist Education, and represented Khargone (Madhya Pradesh) ( 1967- 1971) and South Delhi constituency in the 5th Lok Sabha (1971–1977).
After the Indian independence, he continued his association with the Indian National Congress and contested in the Indian general elections of 1971, winning from South Delhi constituency against Balraj Madhok, the then president of Jan Sangh. He was the author Feroze Gandhi: A Political Biography, the only known work about the life of the politician-journalist husband of Indira Gandhi. He has been Member of parliament, Lok Sabha from Khargone (Lok Sabha constituency) of Madhya Pradesh from 1967-1971 and South Delhi (Lok Sabha constituency) in 5th Lok Sabha.
Awards and Honour
The Government of India awarded him the third highest civilian honour of the Padma Bhushan, in 2006, for his contributions to public affairs. The Institute for Social Education, an institution he founded in 1970, was awarded the National Communal Harmony Award by the President of India in 2007.
Personal life and death
He died on 30 September 2011, at the age of 86, succumbing to age-related illnesses, survived by his wife, son and daughter.
- "Political career". Shashi Bhushan Sansad. 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "All India Freedom Fighters' Organisation" (PDF). Lexis Nexis. 2016. p. 6. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Shashi Bhushan, Former MP No More". India Wires. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "About Shri Shashi Bhushan". India Mart. 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Biography". Shashi Bhushan Sansad. 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Former MP Shashi Bhushan Dead – Outlook India". Outlook India. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Feroze Gandhi: A Political Biography". Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- Feroze Gandhi. Frank Bros. & Co. 2008. pp. 2–. ISBN 978-81-8409-494-7.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2016. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "National Communal Harmony Award" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2016. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Former MP Shashi Bhushan dead – ReDiff". ReDiff News. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- Shashi Bhushan (1977). Feroze Gandhi: A Political Biography. Progressive People's Sector Publications. p. 220.