This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1954 (age 63–64)|
Purshotam Lal (born 1954) is an Indian cardiologist and chairman and director of Interventional Cardiology of the Metro Group of Hospitals. He has been awarded the Padma Vibhushan (2009), Padma Bhushan, and Padma Shree. He specializes in non-surgical closure of heart holes (ASD/VSD), non-surgical replacement of valves, and treatment of multiple sclerosis.
Lal pioneered interventional cardiology, and introduced the largest number of interventional techniques (as an alternative to open heart surgery) in the country. Lal performed the largest number of angioplasties/stentings procedures in the country. After spending 15 years in the United States, Lal returned to India and established nice hospitals with a mission to serve the poor. His guiding philosophy in setting up these hospitals was to serve all patients regardless of financial need.
Lal has taught interventional cardiology for 20 years.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Was the first doctor in India to use rotational angioplasty, diamond drilling, and stenting.
- Assisted in the development of monodisc device and performed the first heart hole (ASD) closure in the world on 20-year-old Suresh Babu of Tamil Nadu in September 1992.
- Performed the first case in the world of aortic valve replacement with core valve without surgery, on 12 July 2004 at Metro Heart Institute, Noida, on G. P. Ojha, a 68 Years old.
- Developed his own technique of left atrio femoral bypass support (partial artificial heart) for high risk interventional procedures, and performed the first case in high risk aortic valvuloplasty in July, 1990 for the first time noted in medical literature.
- Developed a technique for opening a tight heart valve (mitral valvuloplasty) under ECHO guidance only, without Cathla and performed the first case in 1995.
- Introduced INOUE balloon, the most popular balloon for opening a tight valve, to India, and was designated as a first investigator in India by the Toray Company of Japan.
- Developed Metro Coronary Screening for patients who have been phobic of conventional coronary angiography. It consists of coronary angiography through the elbow, echo and blood studies. It takes 5 minutes and patients go home within one hour. It has been performed more 11,000 times with 100% success, the largest series in the world.
- Performed more than 20 cases of VSD closure after a heart attack, the single largest series in the world.
- Performing the largest number of angioplasties/stenting in India, and according to Heal Health Magazine, the largest number in the world.
- Introduced more than 20 interventional procedures for the first time in India, such as coronory athrectomy, slow rotational angoplasty, and rotablator.
He has been associated with:
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American College of Medicine
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians (Canada)
- Fellow, Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions, USA
- Fellow, Indian College of Cardiology
- Member, British Cardiovascular Interventional Society
- Member, German Society of Cardiovascular Research
- Member, Central Council of Health & Family Welfare – an apex advisory body of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India
- Member, Expert Committee for medical devices, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India
- Member, Delhi Medical Council
Awards and honours
- Padma Vibhushan (2009)
- Dr. B. C. Roy Award (2004) - for innovations in interventional cardiology
- Padma Bhushan (2003)
- Padma Shri (1993)
- Jawaharlal Nehru International Excellence Award in 1990.
- Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award in 1991.
- Dr. V V Shah Oration Gold Medal by Cardiological Society of India 1992.
- Lifetime achievement award by Delhi Medical Association in 2002.
- Recipient of "Distinguished Achievement Award of Highest Order" by the National Body of Indian Medical Association for performing the largest number of angioplasties/stenting in the country.
- Listed several times in Limca Book Of World Records.
- Has written a book on heart diseases and their prevention and treatment, Hriday Rog: Karana aur bachav.
- Express Healthcare - creator of affordable healthcare
- "Punjab CM felicitate Dr.Purshotam Lal on being honoured with Padma Vibhushan". Punjab Newsline. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 5 August 2010.