|Owner||Government of Maharashtra|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Akola, Maharashtra, India|
|Elevation AMSL||999 ft / 304 m|
Akola Airport (IATA: AKD, ICAO: VAAK) is an airport located in Akola in the Indian state of Maharashtra. The airport can currently said to be non-functional for public use, as of now no public airplane services are available in Akola
The airport was constructed in 1943 by the Public Works Department. Airlines such as Vayudoot and Span Aviation had operated out of Akola in the past. The airport was developed in 2008 at an estimated cost of Rs 25 crore. A new terminal building, renovated at a cost of Rs 1.5 crore, has a new fire station, air traffic control block and other vital installations. The 4,000-foot runway was extended to 4,600 feet (1,400 m) and a new precision approach path indicator and non-directional beacon navigation system added.
Akola airport has a part concrete, part asphalt, or part bitumen-bound macadam runway oriented 10/28, 4000 ft long and 100 ft wide. The airport covers an area of 196 acres (79 ha). The 90-metre by 100-metre apron can accommodate two Fokker F27 - sized aircraft. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has requested the State government provide additional land in order to extend the runway to 1,800 metres (5,900 ft) to enable larger aircraft to use the airport.
- "Airstrips in Maharashtra". Maharashtra Public Works Department. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "Patel plans to upgrade Akola airport". The Times of India. 1 October 2007. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "AAI upgrade for Akola airport". The Times of India. 26 May 2008. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "AAI website". Archived from the original on 31 May 2011. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "Sena alleges graft in Akola airport". The Times of India. 18 December 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Airport information for VAAK at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Accident history for AKD at Aviation Safety Network
- Akola Airport at Airports Authority of India web site
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|