This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Andre Beteille, FBA (born 30 September 1934) is an Indian sociologist and writer. He is well known for his studies of the caste system in South India. He was a Professor of Sociology at the Delhi School of Economics at the University of Delhi where, since 2003, he remains Professor Emeritus of Sociology. He was appointed National Research Professor by the Government of India in 2007. He is a recipient of the Indian civilian honour of the Padma Bhushan.
- Sociology: Essays on Approach and Method, Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Antinomies of Society: Essays on Ideologies and Institutions, Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Chronicles of Our Time, Penguin Books, 2000.
- The Backward Classes in Contemporary India, Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Society and Politics in India: Essays in a Comparative Perspective, Athlone Press, 1991 (L.S.E. Monographs in Social Anthropology, no. 63).
- The Idea of Natural Inequality and Other Essays, Oxford University Press, 1983 (new, enlarged edition, Oxford University Press, 1987).
- Inequality Among Men, Basil Blackwell, 1977 (Italian edition published as La diseguaglianza fra gli uomini, Il Mulino, 1981).
- Studies in Agrarian Social Structure, Oxford University Press, 1974.
- Six Essays in Comparative Sociology, Oxford University Press, 1974 (enlarged edition published as Essays in Comparative Sociology, Oxford University Press, 1987).
- Inequality and Social Change, Oxford University Press, 1972.
- Castes: Old and New, Essays in Social Structure and Social Stratification, Asia Publishing House, 1969.
- Caste, Class and Power: Changing Patterns of Stratification in a Tanjore Village, University of California Press, 1965.
- Secularism Re-examined
- Race & Caste
- Teaching & Research
- Teaching and Research, Andre Beteille
- Government & NGOs (scroll down)
- Bipan Chandra and Andre Beteille Appointed as National Research Professors
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 October 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Administrative Officials". NEHU Shillong. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Chancellor". Ashoka University. Retrieved 14 January 2014.