iPhone XR in blue
|Manufacturer||Foxconn (on contract)|
|Slogan||Brilliant. In every way.|
A2106 (Sold in Japan)
A2107 (Sold in China)
|Compatible networks||GSM, CDMA2000, EV-DO, HSPA+, LTE, LTE Advanced|
|First released||October 26, 2018|
|Availability by region|
|Related||iPhone XS / iPhone XS Max|
|Dimensions||H: 150.9 mm (5.94 in)|
W: 75.7 mm (2.98 in)
D: 8.3 mm (0.33 in)
|Mass||194 g (6.8 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: iOS 12|
Current: iOS 12.2, released March 25, 2019
|System on chip||Apple A12 Bionic|
|CPU||2.49 GHz hexa-core 64-bit|
|Modem||Intel PMB9955 (XMM7560[a])|
|Memory||3 GB LPDDR4X|
|Storage||64, 128 or 256 GB|
|Battery||3.81 V 11.21 W·h (2942 mA·h) Li-ion|
|Display||6.06 in (154 mm) Liquid Retina: LED-backlit IPS LCD, 1792×828 px (326 ppi)|
625 cd/m² max. brightness (typical), with dual-ion exchange-strengthened glass.
|Rear camera||12 MP (1.4 μm) (1/2.55") Sony Exmor IMX333-Inspired, quad-LED flash, ƒ/1.8 aperture, Optical image Stabilization, autofocus, IR filter, Burst mode, 6-element lens, 4K video recording at 30 or 60 FPS or 1080p at 30 or 60 FPS, Slow-motion video (1080p at 120 FPS or 240 FPS), Time-lapse with stabilization, Panorama (up to 63 megapixels), Portrait Mode, Portrait Lighting (excluding Stage Light), Facial recognition, Digital image stabilization, Stereo audio recording|
|Other||FaceTime audio- or video-calling, Lightning connector for charging, wired headphones, and other accessories (not included)|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M3, T4|
|Website||iPhone XR - Apple|
|This article is part of a series on the|
|List of iPhone models|
iPhone XR (stylized as iPhone Xr, Roman numeral "X" pronounced "ten") is a smartphone designed and manufactured by Apple, Inc. It is the twelfth generation of the iPhone. It was announced by Phil Schiller on September 12, 2018, at Steve Jobs Theater in the Apple Park campus, alongside the higher-priced iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Pre-orders began on October 19, 2018, with an official release on October 26, 2018.
The phone has a 6.1-inch "Liquid Retina" LCD display, which Apple claims is the "most advanced and color accurate in the industry." It is the least expensive device in Apple's iPhone X line of devices, with a starting price of $749 in the United States, $1029 in Canada, £749 in the United Kingdom, €849 in the Eurozone countries, and 6499 yuan in China. It features the same processor as the XS and XS Max, the Apple A12 Bionic chip built with a 7 nanometer process, which Apple claims to be the "smartest and most powerful chip" ever put into a smartphone.
It is available in six colors: black, white, blue, yellow, coral (a shade of pink and orange), and Product Red. The XR is available in three storage capacities: 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB. It is the second iPhone to be released in yellow and blue, the first being the iPhone 5C in 2013. Internationally, the phone supports dual SIMs through a Nano-SIM and an eSIM. In mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, dual Nano-SIM (in a single tray) is offered instead.
Despite receiving some criticism for its lower display resolution in comparison to previous iPhone models at roughly the same price point, the XR received mostly positive reviews from critics and users after its release. The XR is Apple’s best selling 2018 model. According to Apple, the XR battery lasts one-and-a-half hours longer than its direct predecessor, the iPhone 8 Plus.
The XR has a similar design to the iPhone X and iPhone XS. However, it has slightly larger bezels, an aluminum frame, and is available in a wide variety of colors. Similar to other X-branded iPhones, all models come with a black front. The XR has an IP67 rating for dust and water resistance, which means it can be immersed in 1-meter deep water for up to 30 minutes.
The XR has similar hardware to the XS, but with a few features removed to reduce the price. Instead of 3D Touch, the XR comes with Haptic Touch where the user long presses until they feel a vibration from the Taptic Engine. The XR also has an LCD display known as "Liquid Retina" instead of the OLED screen used on the X, XS, and XS Max. The display on the XR has a resolution of 1792×828 pixels and a pixel density of 326 ppi, compared with 458 ppi on other X-branded iPhones. The screen-to-body ratio of the XR is 79.3%, much higher than the 67.5% of the iPhone 8 Plus but still lower than most other phones in its price category. Unlike most other phones in the X-series, the XR ships with a single camera on the rear on the phone, featuring the exact same main camera sensor as on the XS and XS Max, utilizing a (1/2.55") Sensor Size and 1.4μm Pixel Size. Unlike the XS, it does not have optical zoom, because of the single camera. DxOMark gave the camera on the iPhone XR a rating of 101, giving the title “Top-ranked single-lens phone.”
Despite the rear single-camera setup, a modified version of Portrait Mode is included. It works unaltered while using the TrueDepth front camera, but with the rear camera it attempts to calculate depth of field using a combination of the focus pixels on the image sensor and AI, resulting in more limitations including lower resolution depth data and subjects not being close enough due to the wide-angle lens being used instead of the missing telephoto lens. Just like the iPhone XS and XS Max, the iPhone XR also offers an adjustable depth of field through software, allowing you to adjust the background bokeh after taking a photo.
The XR is shipped with iOS 12 installed out of the box. For reasons unknown, the XR received an updated version of iOS 12.1 one week after its initial release for devices that did not have the update installed prior.
iPhone model timeline
- Fingas, Roger. "Foxconn taking charge of vast majority of iPhone production this fall". Apple Insider. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "Apple introduces iPhone XR". Apple Newsroom. Apple Inc. September 12, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "iPhone XR available for pre-order on Friday, October 19". Apple Newsroom. Apple Inc. October 17, 2018. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- Srivatsan Sridhar. "Apple iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max teardown reveals Intel Gigabit LTE modem, notched battery for XS, Apple power management IC for XS Max". www.fonearena.com.
- "iPhone XS Max Review – The New Way of Life - Compare Phones". Compare Phones.
- Daniel Yang & Stacy Wegner. "Apple iPhone XS Teardown". www.techinsights.com.
- Abazovic, Fuad. "iPhone XS has Intel modem inside".
- "iPhone XS and XS Max Teardown". iFixit. September 21, 2018.
- Hardy, Ed (September 13, 2018). "Geekbench scores reveal RAM upgrades in new iPhones". Cult of Mac. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- Apple (September 12, 2018). "About Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) requirements for iPhone - Apple Support". Apple Support. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "It's pronounced 'iPhone Ten'". The Verge. Archived from the original on October 10, 2017. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- "You're pronouncing the iPhone X wrong". News.com.au. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "iPhone XR: Everything We Know". MacRumors. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "Learn about Dual SIM with iPhone Xs Max in China, Hong Kong, and Macau". Apple Support. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "iPhone - 机型比较". Apple (in Chinese). Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "iPhone XS vs. iPhone XR: Design, Tech Specs, and Price Comparison". MacRumors. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Hill, Simon (September 18, 2018). "Here's our comparison of the most bezel-less designs among smartphones". Digital Trends. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "iPhone XR Teardown". iFixit. October 26, 2018. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Kelly, Gordon. "Apple iPhone XS Vs iPhone XR: What's The Difference?". Forbes. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Apple iPhone XR camera review: Top-ranked single-lens phone".
- "Apple is releasing its brand new iPhone software. Here's what it's like". The Independent. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- "Apple Releases Updated Version of iOS 12.1 for iPhone XR". Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Apple Inc. (2007-2018). iPhone News - Newsroom Archive. Retrieved September 28, 2018.