iPad Pro (1st generation)
12.9" iPad Pro in Silver
|Manufacturer||Foxconn (on contract)|
|Release date||12.9-inch: November 11, 2015|
9.7-inch: March 31, 2016
|Discontinued||June 5, 2017|
|Operating system||Original: iOS 9.1(12.9-inch); iOS 9.3(9.7-inch)|
Current: iPadOS 14.4, released January 26, 2021
|System on a chip||Apple A9X with 64-bit architecture and Apple M9 motion co-processor|
|CPU||2.26 GHz dual-core 64-bit ARMv8-A|
|Memory||12.9-inch: 4 GiB LPDDR4 SDRAM|
9.7-inch: 2 GiB LPDDR4 SDRAM
|Storage||32, 128, 256 GB flash memory|
2732×2048 px (264 PPI) (IPS panel) (5.5 megapixels), 12.9 in (327.8 mm) diagonal, 4:3
2048×1536 px (264 PPI) (IPS panel) (3.1 megapixels), 9.7 in (246.3 mm) diagonal, 4:3
|Graphics||12-core PowerVR Series 7XT|
|Sound||Four speakers, adjusting sound to device orientation|
|Input||Multi-touch screen, headset controls and ambient light sensors, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, digital compass, five microphones, Bosch Sensortec BMP280 barometer|
|Camera||12.9-inch 1.2 megapixels 720p front-facing and 8 megapixels rear-facing|
9.7-inch: 5 megapixels 720p front-facing and 12 megapixels 4K rear-facing
Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular:
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; dual channel (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz); HT80 with MIMO
Wi-Fi + Cellular:
GPS & GLONASS
12.9-inch Wi-Fi + Cellular:
9.7-inch Wi-Fi + Cellular:
|Online services||App Store, Apple Music, iTunes Store, iBookstore, iCloud, Game Center|
305.7 mm (12.04 in) (h)
220.6 mm (8.69 in) (w)
6.9 mm (0.27 in) (d)
240 mm (9.4 in) (h)
169.5 mm (6.67 in) (w)
6.1 mm (0.24 in) (d)
713 g (1.572 lb)
|Successor||iPad Pro (2nd generation)|
iPad (2017) (for 9.7-inch model)
|Related articles||Apple Pencil, Apple A9X|
|Website||www.apple.com/ipad-pro/ at the Wayback Machine (archived April 6, 2016)|
|This article is part of a series on the|
|List of iPad models|
The first iPad Pro, the 12.9-inch version, was announced on September 9, 2015 and released on November 11, 2015. It is larger than all previous iPad models and the first iPad tablet to feature LPDDR4 RAM. The 12.9-inch tablet was later followed by the smaller 9.7-inch version, which was announced on March 21, 2016, and released on March 31 that same year.
The 12.9-inch version of the iPad Pro was announced during an Apple Special Event on September 9, 2015. It was released on November 11, 2015, with silver, gold, and space gray color options. Prices ranged from US$799 to $1,229, based on storage size and cellular connectivity. On March 21, 2016, the 9.7-inch version of the iPad Pro was announced at an Apple keynote with an additional rose gold color option. The 9.7-inch version also introduced the ability to choose the base 32 GB model  with a Cellular + WiFi option. (Previously, Cellular + WiFi option was only available on 128 GB iPad Pro models. The 9.7-inch model is priced from $599 to $1,129 depending on the configuration. It was released on March 31, 2016.
The 9.7-inch iPad Pro has a faster CPU and a better camera than the iPad Air 2. It is the first iPad to feature True Tone Flash and Retina Flash, and its 256 GB storage option is the highest for an iPad at the time. Its True Tone display allows the LCD to adapt its color and intensity to ambient lighting.
Both iPad Pro models include the A9X chip and the Apple M9 motion co-processor. The 9.7-inch model, however, has a slightly underclocked CPU (2.16 GHz compared to 2.26 GHz on the 12.9-inch model) and only 2 GB of RAM. Several features are carried over from the standard iPad, such as Touch ID and the Retina Display. New features include a smart connector for a keyboard and four stereo speakers located in pairs on top and bottom of the device. The 12.9-inch model has a 2732-by-2048 display and the 9.7-inch model has a 2048-by-1536 display. Both displays have a resolution of 264 pixels per inch and feature a variable refresh rate, a first for Apple. The 12.9-inch version is the first iPad to include 4 GiB of RAM.
A customized 12.9 inch iPad Pro was also designed by Jony Ive and submitted to the Time for Design auction. The special edition iPad Pro has an "Edition 1 of 1" label engraved on its back and comes with a custom yellow-gold anodized finish, a blue leather Smart Cover and an orange leather Apple Pencil case cover, all of which are not sold by Apple elsewhere.
Scott Stein from CNET praised the faster processor and new accessories available. However, he criticized the cost of both the unit and its accessories, while noting its slightly slower processor with less RAM of the 9.7-inch model compared to the larger 12.9-inch model. Matt Swider from TechRadar complimented the easy handling, large 256 GB configuration and True Tone display, but was upset about the high starting price. Gareth Beavis gave a positive review, commending the expansive screen and audio quality but stated that the battery life could be made longer.
- "The A9X SoC & More To Come - The iPad Pro Preview: Taking Notes With iPad Pro". AnandTech. November 11, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "iPad Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple". Apple Inc.
- Smith, Ryan (November 30, 2015). "More on Apple's A9X SoC". AnandTech. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "iPad Pro Teardown". iFixit. November 11, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "iPad Pro 9.7" Teardown". iFixit. April 4, 2016. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- Dillet, Roman (September 9, 2015). "Apple Unveils The iPad Pro". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- "Apple - Press Info - Epic 12.9-inch iPad Pro Available to Order Online Wednesday & Arrives in Stores Later This Week". Apple Inc.
- Seifert, Dan (March 21, 2016). "New iPad Pro announced: $599, 9.7-inch display, weighs less than one pound". The Verge. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- 1 GB = 10003 (one billion) bytes
- 1 GiB = 10243 bytes
- Mayo, Benjamin (April 16, 2016). "Jony I've designs one-of-a-kind iPad Pro, Smart Cover and Apple Pencil case for special Design Museum auction". 9to5Mac. Retrieved October 21, 2017.
- "Phillips: UK050316, Apple Inc". Phillips. Retrieved October 21, 2017.
- Stein, Scott (March 30, 2016). "iPad Pro 9.7-inch review".
- Swider, Matt (January 27, 2018). "iPad Pro 9.7 review". TechRadar.
- Beavis, Gareth. "iPad Pro 12.9 (2015) review". TechRadar. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Apple Inc. (2010–2011). iPad News - Newsroom Archive. Retrieved June 7, 2018.