Kos International Airport
Kos International Airport
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Κω
|Focus city for||Aegean Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||409 ft / 126 m|
Kos International Airport (Greek: Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Κω; also known as Hippocrates) (IATA: KGS, ICAO: LGKO) is an international airport on the island of Kos in Greece. It is located near Andimachia Village, and is operated by Fraport AG, all operations within the airport are handled by Swissport.
The airport mainly serves charter airlines, who bring customers on holiday to the island. Kos Airport hits its peak in summer, with flights from German and British airlines primarily.
The airport was opened on 4 April 1964. In 1974 the runway was extended to 2,400 metres. Due to increased traffic at the airport, a new terminal was built in 1980. In 1997, the terminal building was renovated and expanded.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Kos Island International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Kos Island International Airport) for 40 years as of 11 April 2017.
On 22 March 2017, Fraport AG and its Greek subsidiary Fraport Greece presented its plans for 14 regional airports that they had been handed control of by the Greek Government. The immediate actions by Fraport were to improve lighting, improve the marking of airside areas, upgrade sanitary facilities, enhance WiFi services and implementing better fire safety throughout the airport.
The long term plans by the operator, which are due to continue until 2021, are to build a new terminal and a new fire station, refurbish the waste water treatment plant, and add more security check lanes and check in counters.
Airlines and destinations
By taxi: 24/7 metered taxi service is available outside the Kos Airport Terminal building.
By car: Kos Airport is located 24 km from the Kos town and is accessible from the provincial road Kos-Kefalos.
Accidents and incidents
- In 2013, an Air Explore Boeing 737 made an emergency landing due to the left engine overheating. Once it taxied to the gate, the engine caught fire. The pilot ordered an evacuation using the emergency slides on either side of the aircraft. No one was injured during the incident.
- "KOS AIRPORT "IPPOKRATIS"". kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- "Flight Schedule". Aegean Airlines.
- "Timetable". grecos.pl.
- Liu, Jim (7 January 2020). "Condor S20 Short-Haul network additions as of 06JAN20". routesonline.com.
- "In summer 2021 Condor will fly from Zurich to the most popular vacation destinations". condor-newsroom.condor.com.
- Liu, Jim. "Corendon Airlines S20 Network expansion". Routesonline. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- "easyJet holidays adds four new routes for summer 2021". ttgmedia.com. 18 December 2020.
- "Coral Travel". coraltravel.pl.
- "Tui sends Freebird Europe to Leipzig / Halle - Airbus A320 is stationed in Schkeuditz". lvz.de. 4 October 2019.
- "Jet2's Bristol Airport base will bring 450,000-holiday seats". ukaviation.news. 11 November 2020.
- "LOT will launch 130 connections to several dozen European resorts". 24 June 2020.
- "LOT uruchomi na wakacje 130 połączeń do kilkudziesięciu europejskich kurortów". Business Insider. 24 June 2020.
- Group, Lufthansa. "Lufthansa is consistently pursuing its tourism strategy: 15 new summer destinations from Frankfurt in 2021". Lufthansa Group.
- "Flight Times". neosair.it/en.
- "Flight schedule". bgoperator.ru.
- "Ryanair Announces New Base At Venice Treviso, 2 Based Aircraft, $200m Investment And 18 New Routes | Ryanair's Corporate Website". corporate.ryanair.com.
- Liu, Jim. "Ryanair / Laudamotion S20 network consolidation as of 18JUN20". Routesonline. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "Only Flight". tui.no.
- "Schedule". skyup.aero.
- "Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Transavia Adds New Eindhoven Routes in S16". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Flight Timetable". TUI Holidays.ie.
- "Flight plan". tui.be.
- volotea (25 October 2016). "VOLOTEA - Bookings, vacations, destinations, flights, routes". Volotea. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "KOS AIRPORT IPPOKRATIS", ypa.gr
- "Air Traffic statistics", kgs-airport.gr
- "By Public Bus | Kos Airport (KGS)". www.kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "By Taxi | Kos Airport (KGS)". www.kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "By Car | Kos Airport (KGS)". www.kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 24 June 2017.